new 660 magnum not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have 2 dealers one i buy parts from and one i buy saws and ope from...the one i buy parts from everyone is a mechanic i heard a guy hold a brand new saw wfo for i know 2 minutes or better,,, but they stock parts from 30 years ago. i had a snow blower that was made in the mid 80s and they had all the parts i needed for it in stock.... and the other only has 2 mechanics one gold level and one silver level and they know their stuff..but they have to order everything...moral of the story is any dealer should be able to service any stihl equiptment as long as its in warranty

Even if the tune was out of spec and could not be adjusted? I thought they could then pull the cap, tune to spec, and reinstall the cap.

Not on a new saw. It's stupid, but for Stihl, it's the only way to truely learn what's happening with factory settings that are supposed to comply with EPA standards and still function properly, then make the correct adjustments in the future.

Not all dealers do this of course, but if they get caught, it's a 5 figure fine from the EPA.

Just that it runs, oils, everythings in tact within the parameters of the caps.

EPA... :popcorn:

We already know what he'd do, he's all about customer service. Any Stihl mechanic that goes to their schools know they hammer it into your head not to mess with the caps on new equip. unless it's brought back from a complaint.

My thoughts exactly dw... I was lookin at buyin a 30ton splitter from them alsi. I am definately takin my business elsewhere. I wont even buy a box of screws from them anymore.. not to mention i asked for a price on a lift of 2x10's for my deck that im building this spring... Needless to say.. not interested in their quote anymore.

It'd be funny thing to see you do the Pretty Woman thing to them... Stop by with a load of lumber, and a brand new splitter (like on the way home still in plastic etc) go in and buy the cheapest thing you can from them, and mention the wood and splitter and how they lost the sale because the wouldn't fix your saw because you sourced it elsewhere.

I know... :msp_sneaky:

I know dealers margins are slim, but if a place wants to be a dealer for a brand it means repairing that brand, not just the equipment w/ their sticker on it (which I normally remove if I can).

I have bought saws at 2 different dealers. 1 because it was the closest, the 2nd because I learned they are a better dealer, Stihl 1st other stuff 2nd, while the other is JD 1st, their "in network" (4 locations) Stihl stuff, then they'll order me something. If I have to have saws repaired they will all go to the same dealer, even if they didn't come from him. Heck I just put a fellow AS member on him for 2 200Ts

dw

I've always been told that dealers make very little profit on the sale of new equipment and most of their profits come from repair work and parts. If that's so then why do some dealers make a big deal out of where you bought the saw from and even refuse service if you didn't buy from them? If they are only making a couple $'s off a sale why would they care who you bought it from? Here's an idea: Next time a dealer turns down warranty work because you didn't buy it from them, just say ooops my bad here's your profit from the sale, and hand them a few $'s and see what they say. There's got to be a reason they get so bent out of shape when you don't buy from them. The first thing that comes to mind is they realize they missed an opportunity to make a bunch of $ off you and now they are so mad about it they don't want to bother with doing any repair work because the $ they make off parts and repair is peanuts compared to what they would have made off the sale. Sometimes people's actions (man I'm pissed you didn't buy that saw from me) will indicate the exact opposite from their words (we hardly make anything selling new saws). When that happens I just remember the old saying "actions speak louder than words".

I've always been told that dealers make very little profit on the sale of new equipment and most of their profits come from repair work and parts. If that's so then why do some dealers make a big deal out of where you bought the saw from and even refuse service if you didn't buy from them? If they are only making a couple $'s off a sale why would they care who you bought it from? Here's an idea: Next time a dealer turns down warranty work because you didn't buy it from them, just say ooops my bad here's your profit from the sale, and hand them a few $'s and see what they say. There's got to be a reason they get so bent out of shape when you don't buy from them. The first thing that comes to mind is they realize they missed an opportunity to make a bunch of $ off you and now they are so mad about it they don't want to bother with doing any repair work because the $ they make off parts and repair is peanuts compared to what they would have made off the sale. Sometimes people's actions (man I'm pissed you didn't buy that saw from me) will indicate the exact opposite from their words (we hardly make anything selling new saws). When that happens I just remember the old saying "actions speak louder than words".
Hey:
1. Repair without warranty= money on parts and high labor charge.
2. Repair on warranty= no profit on parts and a rate that Stihl dictates just to be a Stihl dealer.
Now do you get it?

Hey:
2. Repair on warranty= no profit on parts and a rate that Stihl dictates just to be a Stihl dealer.
Now do you get it?

So that is why cant make much on it so to hell with us huh?What about good customer relations and bulding a base of customers?That is stupid business practice on their part.

So that is why cant make much on it so to hell with us huh?What about good customer relations and bulding a base of customers?That is stupid business practice on their part.
Not sticking up for one side or the other just explaining some facts. The poster did not seem to know this, and apparently you either, so it may help shed some light.

Does your local dealer know that you're local? If so, I can kind of understand his take on it. It's probably not a good business practice, but emotions overrule that sometimes. Unless you had a legit reason to buy elsewhere, he probably figures that, if you don't respect him enough to buy the saw locally from him, then this problem is your baby. Again, probably not a good business practice, but I'm sure that's what he's thinking.

THeir big profits are in new saws but they make money on everything, but if parts was were the money is at why do they quit making parts for older models wouldn't make sense if that is where the money is. Anyways every dealer I have been around at first always pushes getting a new saw rather than fixing an old one.

I did explain to him that i bought the saw where i did because i have an account there for my business and i get a discount on everything i buy there.. i also explaind to him that i didnt want to take it back for service 1. Because it is 70 miles from my house 2. Because he was only 5 miles from my house. And 3. Because he is my local dealer where i buy all of my supplies from... Now the way i see it, if he doesnt want to service it now because its a warrenty job and i didnt buy it from him, then why would i show him any respect when it isnt under warrenty anymore if it should break down.. im in the service industry and if i turned down every customer with an american standard rooftop that didnt buy it through us and the parts were still under warrenty,not only woukd i not have a $1200 chainsaw to play with but i would have a lot less customers to even have a chance to service... Research shows that a happy customer tells on average 7 of their friends about your product or service and a disappointed customer tells on avg. 50.. how many people do u think ive told with just this convo. That i started... Granted, most of u arent in michigan, however maybe i have changed some minds about the dealer/s that have put u out in the past and treated you wrong but you did nothing..

P.s. ( im a hockey player and i hold grudges.. thats just what we do)

Thanks Rupe! For some reason I thought that shops got paid their normal labor rate for warranty work. I knew that warranty work was the least desirable type of work, but didn't understand why it was worse than having no work at all. Now I do. Stihl should pay their dealers better as it doesn't look good when dealers turn away warranty work. I've never run across a factory authorized dealer for any other product that asked where you bought it and turned you away if it wasn't from them. They may be out there but I haven't seen it yet. With people moving all over the country to find jobs this problem isn't going away. If you are looking for a good Stihl dealer one test might be to give him a call and tell him you have a saw under warranty that you didn't buy from them. If they say no problem bring 'er in and we'll have a look then you've probably found a good dealer. If they run the other way, might want to keep looking as that is an indication they care more about maximizing profits than customer service.

Now the dealer by my house says they will not service it because i didn't buy it from them. I live 70 miles from the place that a bought it.. It was 20 degs. out and according to the owners manual its above the recommended temp before i have to start blocking off the fan. I contacted stihl and basically they told me "tough ####" about the poor service that i recieved from their " Authorized Dealer" Not very happy.. Anyone know if these dealers will return a saw? I may be lookin for another brand if this issue isn't resolved. Is there anything that is competitive to the 660? I really enjoyed the 30 seconds or so that this thing blew through the logs i put in front of it.

thats bullbutter!!!!!

we warranty/service other shops Stihl products,,,, I would drive 70 miles out of my way so I wouldnt have to even look at those guys,,,, but we have about 7 deallers in a 25 mile radius with 4 sawmills and 3 papermills oh and one plywood/OSB mill

I did explain to him that i bought the saw where i did because i have an account there for my business and i get a discount on everything i buy there.. i also explaind to him that i didnt want to take it back for service 1. Because it is 70 miles from my house 2. Because he was only 5 miles from my house. And 3. Because he is my local dealer where i buy all of my supplies from... Now the way i see it, if he doesnt want to service it now because its a warrenty job and i didnt buy it from him, then why would i show him any respect when it isnt under warrenty anymore if it should break down.. im in the service industry and if i turned down every customer with an american standard rooftop that didnt buy it through us and the parts were still under warrenty,not only woukd i not have a $1200 chainsaw to play with but i would have a lot less customers to even have a chance to service... Research shows that a happy customer tells on average 7 of their friends about your product or service and a disappointed customer tells on avg. 50.. how many people do u think ive told with just this convo. That i started... Granted, most of u arent in michigan, however maybe i have changed some minds about the dealer/s that have put u out in the past and treated you wrong but you did nothing..

P.s. ( im a hockey player and i hold grudges.. thats just what we do)

Never Forget the Good..
Never Forget the Bad..

Hey:
Now do you get it?

It is like no other warranty work. Manufacturer provides parts, and dictates the "hours" or labor charge paid for the warranty repair. Yes margins are lower on warranty work, but why risk alienating a customer who is (was) obviously a repeat customer on consumables. I gut may only purchase 1 saw (oh wait this is AS) make that 5 saws in a lifetime new, but chains, oil, files.... all are continuous profit items. Then out of warranty repair won't happen (high margin repair) if a dealer doesn't take the warranty (low margin repair) to build the relationship.

Yes emotions get involved, and looks like this dealer let his cost him a repeat customer.

dw

Back