New Advertising

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g&L

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As a new tree service what Types of advertisement is worth my time I already have decent yellow page adds

It's been our opinion that Yellow page ads are crap. Yellow book has been known to be crooks also and if I found out that a HO looked for bids in the yellow pages I would immediately say "Now don't get me wrong, you certainly have the right to solicit more that one estimate but wouldn't you agree that's like rolling the dice that you're gonna get a truly qualified contractor,(they always start the "yes" head nod) but since I'm here let me show you our qualifications and what makes a qualified contractor according to this third party (It's always a good idea to have a couple of third party opinions. but be prepared to live up to them) And by the way, while were on the subject let me explain our guarantee that is of course always put in writing for you." Ending with "If you would please sign here" and "Thank you"

Yard signs--cheap and effective--have the HO agree to leave the sign in yard for at least 2 weeks--you would be surprised how many neighbors will notice that tree gone and wonder "who did it"

Canvassers (door to door informants, not door to door sales, sales is for the professional sales person that can give estimates on the spot, also canvassers can be hired allot cheaper that sales people. Unless your doing the canvasing yourself don't allow canvassers to give out even ball park bids.

Telemarketing-- hmm, if aloud(DNC lists) and can be expensive

Homeshows--expensive but lots of leads in a short amount of time

Insurance agent referrals -- free-- but leads of far between

Realtor referrals--free-- but watch out, Realtors IMHO are crooks they look for free estimates anywhere they can get one without your interests in mind and they may want a kick back for your hard work.

Target marketing--Talk to some housing developers, they may need land clearing or better yet, like neighborhood assocations maybe you can be the assocations treeman. but get cert. arborist recommedations when tree care is at stake. You may only do one job that'll ruin your business if done wrong. Like all the trees in our neighborhood died, allot of people will be pointing there finger at you.

I hope this has been of some help. Successful marketing makes for a successful business.

Last edited:
that will depend on your area! Here...I use the local newspaper which accounts for 75% of my biz, then the Yellow book with word of mouth coming from both sources & other sources.

A website helps...but you will need to promote it untill you become recognized, your shtick will only work if you are knowledgeable & have a love for what you are doing, I know alot of companies around my area with way more self employment time than me....BUT, they cant sell to save their azz, they are in it for money & to get as much of that as they can...these types I literally have a dislike for as they are usually layedoff from another line of work & think they can do Trees :dizzy:

whatever you do....just be honest & do a good job, this will go along way!!

Good luck,

LXT................

It's been our opinion that Yellow page ads are crap. Yellow book has been known to be crooks also and if I found out that a HO looked for bids in the yellow pages I would immediately say "Now don't get me wrong, you certainly have the right to solicit more that one estimate but wouldn't you agree that's like rolling the dice that you're gonna get a truly qualified contractor,(they always start the "yes" head nod) but since I'm here let me show you our qualifications and what makes a qualified contractor according to this third party (It's always a good idea to have a couple of third party opinions. but be prepared to live up to them) And by the way, while were on the subject let me explain our guarantee that is of course always put in writing for you." Ending with "If you would please sign here" and "Thank you"

Yard signs--cheap and effective--have the HO agree to leave the sign in yard for at least 2 weeks--you would be surprised how many neighbors will notice that tree gone and wonder "who did it"

Canvassers (door to door informants, not door to door sales, sales is for the professional sales person that can give estimates on the spot, also canvassers can be hired allot cheaper that sales people. Unless your doing the canvasing yourself don't allow canvassers to give out even ball park bids.

Telemarketing-- hmm, if aloud(DNC lists) and can be expensive

Homeshows--expensive but lots of leads in a short amount of time

Insurance agent referrals -- free-- but leads of far between

Realtor referrals--free-- but watch out, Realtors IMHO are crooks they look for free estimates anywhere they can get one without your interests in mind and they may want a kick back for your hard work.

Target marketing--Talk to some housing developers, they may need land clearing or better yet, like neighborhood assocations maybe you can be the assocations treeman. but get cert. arborist recommedations when tree care is at stake. You may only do one job that'll ruin your business if done wrong. Like all the trees in our neighborhood died, allot of people will be pointing there finger at you.

I hope this has been of some help. Successful marketing makes for a successful business.

Nice rant...

You do own a tree service though... right crater?

Dont give me no construction estimating bs either dude.

well Tree MDS the question was about marketing and this thread should be moved but that being said, all advertisement, doesn't matter what vehicle you use, makes up a marketing schema. Just some marketing works better than others.
And no I don't own a tree service business; my wife does. I just get the pleasure of working for her. Although construction has been good to me up till this year I have always been in the tree biz just now it's gonna be alittle more time in the tree trying to make half a live'n.
But not unlike "The Donald" not all owners need to actually work the trade either, they just need to be very good business men as well as very very good managers. Put these together and I would imagine, no I know the owner could hire the tradesman and keep them as busy as the owner wants. This unfortunately doesn't work the other way. Not that there aren't some good tradesmen out there that could do this, but lets face it, most of are only very good at one thing.
So if your a very good pitch man then sell. If your a very good climber then climb. Either way there must be a profit in it would'nt you say.

Last edited:
lxt, 75% from newspaper is a great percentage. now look at what smellobook is doing for you using you #'s like maybe 75% paper, 10% smello, 10% word of mouth and 5% other. OK out of 100 leads 75 come from paper 10 comes from smello, 10 from word of mouth, and 5 from other. Now assuming you sell every lead, would 10 out of every 1 hundred pay the smello book bill? Ours was something like 2500 a month (Full page ad). My advice is really track your marketing dollars closely and pour the most amount of the marketing budget into what works. Plus we all need quality leads, not the curious HO that got drink'n beer with his neighbor and the conversation turned to "how much it would cost to remove their tree." Qualify your leads before you run them if you can. This is an art as not to scare the HO away in case they are legit and to find out why there considering it and how long they have been considering it. I know I've ran my share off in the past.

Last edited:
Very interesting topic. I know what works for us, but it depends on who or what your market target is. Do you play with the big boys or battle the low
balling res work?
Jeff:)
yeah I know, market target v/s target market.

My favorites are the local business association which sends 2,000 fliers out for $35 and angieslist which is free and is awesome!..... Oh and word of mouth which is the best..... Mike

yea we have a local new paper that put a supplement in it. They call it The Local Area Business Ads. It's like $35 per year for a business card size ad. I'm lucky, the only tree service in it:) bty there is a another guy that does tree work but advertises for aerial services. There's just a my point of missing his target audience. Then again he does have successful business also.

Flush cut...I agree, however you have to watch on the yard signs, customers are ok with those for a time you leave it there to long & they get a little upset!

The Yellowbook ad I have thought about canceling for the past 2-3yrs, however most commercial accounts come from that ad, this year I am Tracking that ad very, very carefully, its expensive but If I land & usually do 4-5... 2k-3k jobs then it wasnt a loss!!

Advertisement is a wierd biz, sometimes the silliest stuff works better than the pro`s way! I ran an ad for a short time stating that "hire us & receive a free gift"......My buddy worked at Amway or something like that...he had tons of promotional items he needed to un-load...I purchased them all for $300.00.

I took a chance!! but landed every job I bid...NO BS!! the women loved the beauty supplies, the men loved the tools & many wanted the steak knives & 4-slice toasters........from this I made approx. 30K & was busy for months!!

the best thing I can say; try something entirely new!!! it may be a longshot but if it pays off....how nice! I still get calls today from magnets shaped like a football with the Steelers schedule on it promoting my service......those were from 2-3 years ago!!!

whats nice is when you know your biz & your love of your work shows!!! you wont need too much advertising...I can sell a dog a blade of grass to sh^t on! & when you`re not BS`ing them like a car salesman & truly know your stuff.............whew, the rewards are great!!!

Good Luck!!

LXT................

Yard signs could be spun to your advantage also. Say you do a follow-up call on the work performed. Tell them "I'm just calling to make sure that our crew meet you expectations and to ask you when you would like us to remove your yard sign". You will have showed the HO, you as the owner, do care about there property and are concerned about the inconvenience of the yard sign. Hopefully by the time you go back and get the yard sign, a neighbor has either asked them about you or has written down your number. Also if possible talk to the HO when you pick up the sign, they may have a referral that hasn't called.
This will work best for Res. work not so much for commercial

lxt I agree. I have a buddy who lives on a busy street and we have one sitting in his yard and it has paid off. As for customers they sit for a week no more with their permission of course.

Latest posts

Back