New, and eager to learn a lot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newlotstolearn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, Im basically just green all around. I have made a few cuts, for firewood pretty much, and I have recently gotten a lot more interested in working with chain saws and learning about tree services in general. Lets say I know nothing about terminology, and have had no formal training. I would like to think I am intelligent and a quick learner though.
Im hoping to learn a lot here, and that I can get some good info from the pros.

First off. I would really like to learn more about the tool Im using. I have used other peoples saws mostly, and have never had to care for my own. That being said I just was gifted some saws to take apart and clean and put back together to get them to run.

I was given 3 Husqvarnas that look pretty used and abused, and I need to pick and pull if I can to get at least one good saw out of it, and I know pretty much nothing about them accept.... spark plug, air filter, bar, chain, fuel and oil reservoirs etc. its all really dirty in there.....

I got:
a "261"
a "257"
a "51"

I took the outer shell off of them, and aside from noting that they are all really dirty and oily/greasy, I saw that they all look be completely assembled. They have all been sitting for quite some time, and there is a little bit of left over Bar Chain oil and Gas mix still in the resevoirs.

Can any one tell me what to do? Where to go from here? What to check first and how?

I didn't want to put fresh gas mix and bar chain oil in them without getting some feedback... but am eager to jump into this project. Thanks in advance for any replies or advice I can get.... I can really use it :chainsaw:

Might want to post this over in the chainsaw forum. That's where all the motor heads hang out. Lots of very knowledgeable mechanics over there. Most posting in this forum are beginning arborists/climbers.

Latest posts

Back