New and lost

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakwidow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so I have a STIHL ms290. I know it’s not a top saw. It has a 16” .325 pitch 0.050 gauge, 67 link chain and bar. Looking for a replacement chain. And searching with those specs I’m finding nothing. Well aside from my local shady authorized STIHL dealer who like to up price his chains. 78 dollars a chain seems steep which I have been paying when I need too.

While I understand cheaper chains are not always the best idea, I cut a lot of wood. 18 cord a year. So I have been considering buying chain in bulk and building my own chains. Is this feasible? If so any advice on suppliers or safety hints?

You will not find the loops as readily, as most of them will be .063 gauge, as that is more common for the Stihl .325 here in the states.
So is it possible to just change out the bar on my saw to a .063 gauge? Or is there a whole bunch of changes to make?

So is it possible to just change out the bar on my saw to a .063 gauge? Or is there a whole bunch of changes to make?
Just a bar change is all you have to do add a new .63 chain and your good to go.

$78/chain? Omg, that's completely nuts!

Have you tried looking for chains at any of your local home building or hardware stores? That's a common chain to find in the US at any Lowes, Home Depot or Tractor Supply. You should check at Canadian Tire.

You can look up exactly what chain Oregon offers with your specs so that way you know going into a box store what you need by Oregon part number. Then you can tell the dealer off and go buy it at Canadian Tire for $25-35.

I would buy Oregon all day if it was Half the cost of Stihl chain. Stihl has good chain but it's not worth that kind of a mark.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/search/global?q=saw+chain:relevance:classificationCategory:Saw+Chain:sawChainPitch:.325"%3AforestryGauge%3A0.05%3AbarLenForChain%3A16.0&text=saw+chain#

So if I replace my 3003 000 6613 bar with a 3003 000 6813 bar (or Oregon duplicate) and add a .325 0.063 67 link chain instead of the .325 0.050 67 link chain I shouldn’t need to replace the sprocket correct?

So if I replace my 3003 000 6613 bar with a 3003 000 6813 bar (or Oregon duplicate) and add a .325 0.063 67 link chain instead of the .325 0.050 67 link chain I shouldn’t need to replace the sprocket correct?
Stop it. There is no need to go through that trouble. At least check you other local saw dealers (if any around, even a Husqvarna dealer) and any local hardware store for the chain you need. Almost $80 for a chain is robbery. Browse the chains I posted and find what you want and either order it online or use the button to find where it's sold locally to you. Save yourself some money.

Do you want full chisel or semi-chisel chain?
If you want a good full chisel chain then the Super Chisel (part # Q66) is what you want. Last link in my post.

Latest posts

Back