New bar for my 660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoclones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A year or more ago I bought a nearly new Stihl MS-660 from a guy who had bought it to cut down 3 large trees. He had nearly trashed 3 chains but I ground them back into shape and got the saw cutting good again.

Lately, this saw starts cutting good then when it's 8 or 10" into the wood, it practically stops cutting. Chain is still running but it simply stops throwing chips. Today I switched to the ms-361 which flew {in comparison} threw the log.

Do I need a new bar? I was wondering if this one is possibly tweaked/bent... Can't tell by looking and didn't have time to put a straight edge on it today.

So, if I do need a new bar, which brand to get {or avoid} in the 36-38" range? I use this saw mostly for cross cutting but occasionally ripping. Should I go to a square grind chain for this saw?

Try to help a fellow Washingtonian out. Need to see the bar and chain to answer this question more accurately, but here goes.

It's possible that the chains you have are wore out. I have tried bringing chains back from the dead like you have mentioned. Only to have them cut ok at first, then half way they just make lots of saw dust. Or I had to lean hard into the wood to get the saw to cut at all. Since you said your other saw ripped right through the same wood, I'd try a new chain.

Could be some other factors, but I would start there. :msp_thumbup:

Bar blues

660's have enough power to torque the bar in a cut. If the bar rails are true and the chain is good, you shouldn't have a problem unless too much force is applied to the saw. If you have the small-nose "green labeled" Stihl bar, get at least the big-nose " yellow labeled" Stihl bar. I Like the Cannon myself.. It stays true much longer without needing grinding by about 3-4 times than the Stihl bar. Yeah , they are expensive, but they last a long , long time. RSLFK Chain!!!!

Just a thought but make sure our chain gauge matches your bar .050 chain with .063 bar will cut but it will grab on the bar as it gets deeper into the cut. You may just need to give the bar some tlc file the lip off if that makes sense (pics would help out alot)

I had a very similar problem with my 044 as well and it seemed that it was the groove in the bar being wore out, as the chain seemed to dance around and then the bar would get stuck in the cut. At first i tried a new chain and that didn't do it, so i tried a new bar and it cuts great now.

They are a nice bar and seam tyo be holding up well,the 36'' has improved the balance of the 660 big time and the 28'' on the MTronic is a sweet combo.:msp_thumbsup:

Back