New Career

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlPowerr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everybody I am new to this site. I have been in sales for a while and I miss working outdoors. I am 39 and I would like to become a Tree Climber or a lumberjack. I live in NJ but everyone is looking for someone with experience. I used to have my own landscaping company but I only removed small trees. I don't know what to do. I really would like to work in this field.

I'm pretty sure the term "lumberjack" is not currently used to describe ones work description. How hard have you really looked? If you live in New Jersey and can't find a entry level job after Sandy, it might be you. Are you in shape? No arrests? Pass a whiz quiz?

If you want to do this type of work, there are opportunities out there. If you are into pain and suffering, welcome!

Are you in shape? No arrests? Pass a whiz quiz : by your age i had Ben climbing 25 years your old to start at 39:hmm3grin2orange:

To many jackasses with dumb comments. Maybe I just have to be dumb like you guys to find a job in this business.

To many jackasses with dumb comments. Maybe I just have to be dumb like you guys to find a job in this business.

Didn't mean to offend. I was serious about my questions. If you don't look like you're in shape, employers won't give you a shot. So answer the questions. Just curious how someone who is willing to do the work can't get work in a disaster area.

I am a strong guy 6-3 220ilbs i am in shape. Its just that everything is by email and they are only looking for guys that have 5 to 10 years experience its crazy. There even talking about paying people $200-$300 a day. I don't know how true that is. I wish I lived for in the North just to cut down trees instead of climbing them. I will even buy my own gear.

You need to relax. These guys, in their own way, are trying to tell you something. You need to listen.

They might not sugar coat what they have to say but there's not a one of them that will lie to you either.

If you want to get into the tree industry you might catch on with an outfit dragging brush and doing general labor. That's where you start. The guys on here can tell you all about it.

Forget entirely about being a "lumberjack". Nobody who knows anything uses that term anyway...at least not in my neighborhood.

So...hang out and learn a little and maybe do yourself some good. Or not. Your choice entirely.

Nobody ever heard the term LUMBERJACK?

Of coarse we've herd of lumberjack.
Your either a logger, faller, climber or groundie, that's around these parts anyway. Now there's obviously slang terms for all of these but we don't need to open that can.

What kind of logging do you want to do?

Any specific goals? Any skills? Saw experience?

Can you work on steep ground? Can you operate heavy machinery like Cats or loaders? Can you splice line or rope or cable? Are you a mechanic of any kind? These are all valuable skills to have if you want to work in the woods.

Heat bother you? How about cold? Will you keep working in a pouring rain? Will you work in the snow? Any dust allergies?

How about a two hour commute, each way, that you don't get paid for? How about figuring the two hour commute was too much and camping on the ground all week?

Rattlesnakes bother you? How 'bout bee stings? Hornet stings? Wasp stings? Poison oak?

If you're away from the city will you go into Latte withdrawal?

These are just the high points but it might give you some idea of what you'd face.

What kind of logging do you want to do?

Any specific goals? Any skills? Saw experience?

Can you work on steep ground? Can you operate heavy machinery like Cats or loaders? Can you splice line or rope or cable? Are you a mechanic of any kind? These are all valuable skills to have if you want to work in the woods.

Heat bother you? How about cold? Will you keep working in a pouring rain? Will you work in the snow? Any dust allergies?

How about a two hour commute, each way, that you don't get paid for? How about figuring the two hour commute was too much and camping on the ground all week?

Rattlesnakes bother you? How 'bout bee stings? Hornet stings? Wasp stings? Poison oak?

If you're away from the city will you go into Latte withdrawal?

These are just the high points but it might give you some idea of what you'd face.
Wow great questions.
I did own my own landscaping company for a couple of years before the economy went to crap. I have used a chainsaw and axe before. I am not a pro with the saw but I respect the saw and take it very seriously. I have know problem using heavy equipment. I am not a mechanic.

I don't mind working in tough conditions. I won't stop working if its raining or snowing. The commuting sucks because I was an outside salesman and I drove for a longtime.
There are no rattlesnakes where I am. I can handle the bugs.
I love the country and the woods I won't miss the city.

Quit bein' reasonable Gologit, I was waiting for his head to explode.

It is tough to get a start, it was so in the 1970s, more so now.

Give Montana a look.

Quit bein' reasonable Gologit, I was waiting for his head to explode.

It is tough to get a start, it was so in the 1970s, more so now.

Give Montana a look.
I would love to live in Montana. Since the storm hit we have guys coming coming from all over the country because there is no work in there states. We had companies from Wisconsin come here. Great guys to very nice people.

Secondary Income

I don't plan on leaving my current career, but I do plan to try my hand at running a very small time tree service. Since you already had your own business, maybe this route would work for you as well. This is my current plan, but may be modified.

I have a few of my own saws from a limbing saw, a pole saw, and a couple 14/16" saws, up to my largest being an MS290. No professional fleet, but they all start and cut. I have a pickup and trailers for hauling brush/limbs (one is a strong but small dump trailer). I plan on getting insurance and probably will start an LLC after more research into the business end of things. When money allows, I'll decide on what to purchase first: 6" chipper, sc252/352 sized grinder, telephone company type 30' bucket truck, mason dump truck, etc.

I am very comfortable cutting and working with trees in my yard and family members' yards, especially after Sandy passed through, but I respect that I am not am not nearly experienced enough to tackle every job. In keeping my full time job, I'll be able to accept the jobs that I know I can safely handle/profit from and say "I'm too busy" for the jobs that I don't feel comfortable working on yet.

Being in the Sandy area as well, it's hard not to jump in knowing the amount of work that is around. However, my current hope is to start up next spring. In the mean time, I am going to really start paying attention to the small around the house and for the family jobs that I do and see how I can do it better, faster, and safer. I also plan on hanging around in the trees in my backyard as I learn how to carefully climb or at least get off of the ground. I'd like to reach $1,000-$2,000 a month the first year and slowly add to my equipment as I can afford it. Worst case, I'm hoping to cover operating costs. Hopefully, I'll see an increase in the jobs as time goes on. I understand many of the difficulties of this profession, but definitely not all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back