New Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlman441

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got myself a chain grinder a Speed Sharp Star made by Tecomec (italy) the same as Oregan 511AX,Telcomec Jolly Star and probably a few others seems to be well made so far anyway.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cool, I've been looking at those... Have you tried it out yet and how does it go ?

It does a good job. Just be gentle when opening the vise, only 1/8 turn is required. If you open the vice too far, too hard, it can snap the vise base. :cry: Otherwise a very good grinder.

How come imported stuff costs so much more in Oz ? Do you guys have to pay a VAT or a tariff ?

It does a good job. Just be gentle when opening the vise, only 1/8 turn is required. If you open the vice too far, too hard, it can snap the vise base. :cry: Otherwise a very good grinder.

How come imported stuff costs so much more in Oz ? Do you guys have to pay a VAT or a tariff ?

Dont realy know, after awhile we just get used to being ripped off.
We have GST which is 10% on top of most things.

We are at the bottom of the planet and normally there is a assh_ le at the bottom of things.:mad:

[snip]

No duty and as Stihlman441 said we cop a 10% GST (VAT) on top of anything but if for business you claim that back every quarter (or monthly if you are big enough)
The rest is just lower volumes/lack of market/higher margins.

Last edited:
I Have a less than a year old 511AX in service with my other chain grinders I kinda wish the clamping vise was a few inches longer and the stop pawl had more clearance underneath it I find if the chain is stiff it catches the underside of the pawl also not really enough clearance for the raker gauge to fit.... Im using a 5/16" wheel and it seems to chew them up pretty quick so I was thinking a 7" or 8" wheel would be Cool....

Maybe its just me but I see need for improvement in this family of grinders..

BTW I dedicated this grinder to 3/4" Pitch Processor chains LOL

Scott

[snip]

Im using a 5/16" wheel and it seems to chew them up pretty quick so I was thinking a 7" or 8" wheel would be Cool....

Maybe its just me but I see need for improvement in this family of grinders..

BTW I dedicated this grinder to 3/4" Pitch Processor chains LOL

Scott

Scott, Matt/MCW uses a Dinasaw CBN/ABN wheel and loves it.
Low/minimal dust and cool grinding and lasts.

Made right here in Oz, and you can send them back to be re-coated when they eventually wear.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link, so clicky on the PDF below instead, all the contact details are on it ;)
The man to talk to there is Greg Costin, Matt sent me all the details for my mate Larry the local chainsaw repairer but Larry already had one :D

Dinasaw make some pretty trick shop/production chain grinders too.

Made right here in Oz, and you can send them back to be re-coated when they eventually wear.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link, so clicky on the PDF below instead, all the contact details are on it ;)
The man to talk to there is Greg Costin, Matt sent me all the details for my mate Larry the local chainsaw repairer but Larry already had one :D

Dinasaw make some pretty trick shop/production chain grinders too.

Cheers thanks champ

I think you will quite happy with them. Take small bites they tend to leave a bur if you go big usually just the chrome though.:cheers:

Yeah the Dinasaw wheels are the go mate - I have a 3mm for 3/8"LP and .325", a 4.5mm for 3/8" and .404" plus a 7mm flat for depth guages. If I did it again I'd get a 7mm wheel with a curved profile for depth guages.

Last edited:
Yeah the Dinasaw wheels are the go mate - I have a 3mm for 3/8"LP and .325", a 4.5mm for 3/8" and .404" plus a 7mm flat for depth guages. If I did it again I'd get a 7mm wheel with a curved profile for depth guages.

They make those gotta link or just go to their web site? I assume dinasaw.com or sumpthin like that?:cheers:

They make those gotta link or just go to their web site? I assume dinasaw.com or sumpthin like that?:cheers:

http://www.dinasaw.com.au/ :cheers:

Good website to gather info but still far cheaper for you guys in the states to buy them from Baileys. Postage from Australia plus our current exchange rate is a killer...

Back