New Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet!! Thanks! I wonder if they can make them in different grits maybe something a little finer for the rackers. :cheers:

http://www.dinasaw.com.au/ :cheers:

Good website to gather info but still far cheaper for you guys in the states to buy them from Baileys. Postage from Australia plus our current exchange rate is a killer...

I emailed them awhile back about a raker wheel for my 308 shipped to me and they didn't respond back. The shipping on something like that all the way to NY is pretty outrageous I'm sure.

I spoke to Greg and he was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with,i didnt ask about grits i thought about that when i hung up.I would think they do anything you wont,CBN/Dimond coating there must be different grits.

I would think so. It would be pretty sweet if they had one that was the same profile as the original shape of the racker IMO. :givebeer:

I spoke to Greg and he was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with,i didnt ask about grits i thought about that when i hung up.I would think they do anything you wont,CBN/Dimond coating there must be different grits.

Yeah the wheels I have are 60-80 grit from memory. I have seen up to 120 grit wheels also but I dont think they were manufactured by Dinasaw. The 60-80 grit work fine but leave quite a rough finish on 3/8"LP chain although actual performance isn't affected.

I would think so. It would be pretty sweet if they had one that was the same profile as the original shape of the racker IMO. :givebeer:

Dinasaw will manufacture any raker profile you want for no extra cost. Greg at Dinasaw asked me if I'd like a curved profile and I said no when I bought mine. In hindsite I wish I said yes although in all honesty I have no dramas grinding rakers flat. I also had mine engraved with my business name.

The biggest benefit I've seen with the ABN/CBN is the lack of dust. Only metal is ejected whereas your standard wheels get dust everywhere, even to the point that I've had to wear a dustmask to avoid coughing up black phlegm for a week.

I've been using the Chinese made Northern Tool version, and have been happy so far, however I recently found a deal on the Oregon 511AX that I couldn't pass up! I havent had the chance to try it yet, but it appears to be identical to yours. Very anxious to dull a chain now!

Got myself a chain grinder a Speed Sharp Star made by Tecomec (italy) the same as Oregan 511AX,Telcomec Jolly Star and probably a few others seems to be well made so far anyway.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The biggest benefit I've seen with the ABN/CBN is the lack of dust. Only metal is ejected whereas your standard wheels get dust everywhere, even to the point that I've had to wear a dustmask to avoid coughing up black phlegm for a week.
I love hacking up lung cookies! :hmm3grin2orange:

How come imported stuff costs so much more in Oz ? Do you guys have to pay a VAT or a tariff ?

I blame you guys. ;) The US is still the biggest consuming nation in the world. When a US Merchant goes to China or Italy to buy stuff, based on population and consumption rates they can usually order in volumes 20 to 30 times greater than any Australian buyer and so can purchase at substantially lower rates. Shipping to the US is the same. Having a slice of the very large US market is seen as critical for most manufacturers to maintain continuity and volume of sales and turnover - they will if necessary sell at a loss to stay in that market. Now no self respecting Chinese or Italian merchant is going to go bust over this so they jack up the prices for everyone else to compensate. European prices for most things like tools and electronics are the same as as Oz with differences being shipping plus GST. Several Oz retailers have shown me their wholesale or buy prices for stuff like CS, CS parts and tools, and they are often greater than retail in the US. If he tells them to go jump, being a small time buyer the manufacturer doesn't care.

Last edited:
I blame you guys. ;) The US is still the biggest consuming nation in the world. When a US Merchant goes to China or Italy to buy stuff, based on population and consumption rates they can usually order in volumes 20 to 30 times greater than any Australian buyer and so can purchase at substantially lower rates. Shipping to the US is the same. Now no self respecting Chinese or Italian merchant is going to go bust over this so they jack up the prices for everyone else to compensate. European prices for most things like tools and electronics are the same as as Oz with differences being shipping plus GST. Several Oz retailers have shown me their wholesale or buy prices for stuff like CS, CS parts and tools, and they are often greater than retail in the US.

I agree in many ways Bob, particularly with European and US made goods but I can tell you now that the Chinese are keen to do business with anybody and some of the pricing I have seen direct from China from the same manufacturers that supply Baileys etc is very very sharp, if not exactly the same. They also chase the business and you don't have to chase them. Don't ask how I know but if you knew what the Chinese will sell you a P&C kit for let's say an MS660 or 395XP you'd fall off your chair...
You wouldn't even believe they could make it for that ;)

Ok guys i got my i got a Dinasaw Cyclone ABN 5mm thick wheel and i have been playing with it,cuts without fuss and is all good.But i am a little disappointed in the finish,i think the grit is way to course,leaving burrs.

Is the 10' top angle really required on the chisel chain ?

Each brand (Carlton,Stihl) recommends different angles for chisel and semi chisel chains,whats the go ?.Most of my chains are 3/8 .063 chisel chains i mainly cut green clean wood.

Very happy with the grinder so far.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ok guys i got my i got a Dinasaw Cyclone ABN 5mm thick wheel and i have been playing with it,cuts without fuss and is all good.But i am a little disappointed in the finish,i think the grit is way to course,leaving burrs.

Each brand (Carlton,Stihl) recommends different angles for chisel and semi chisel chains,whats the go ?.Most of my chains are 3/8 .063 chisel chains i mainly cut green clean wood.

Hey don't stress about the finish mate. I found the same as you to start with as well but what you'll find is that the wheel will "wear in". I actually sped this process up by running a piece of steel over it a few times.

I have found that 10° angle gives only a "slight" increase in cutting speed and is barely noticable. Stick with 0° mate, saves the stuffing around :cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php
If you don't want to "codition" the wheel take smaller bites with it. The bur that is there is just the chrome being stubborn and nothing to worry about. It will for sure break off in the first half second in the cut.:cheers:

If you don't want to "codition" the wheel take smaller bites with it. The bur that is there is just the chrome being stubborn and nothing to worry about. It will for sure break off in the first half second in the cut.:cheers:

Yep those burrs last 0.0001 of a second after that chain hits wood :)

The biggest benefit I've seen with the ABN/CBN is the lack of dust. . . whereas your standard wheels get dust everywhere.

I use the standard wheels because I don't grind enough to justify the cost of the ABN/CBN wheels. I try to grind outside to avoid the dust, but was getting some hard cake build-up on the main grinder casting that was hard to clean off. Probably mostly cosmetic, but I covered those portions of the grinder with thin, aluminum HVAC sealing tape (metal duct tape).

Brush or blow off the loose dust, and scrape off the hard stuff, or peel off the tape and replace it.

Philbert

I use the standard wheels because I don't grind enough to justify the cost of the ABN/CBN wheels. I try to grind outside to avoid the dust, but was getting some hard cake build-up on the main grinder casting that was hard to clean off. Probably mostly cosmetic, but I covered those portions of the grinder with thin, aluminum HVAC sealing tape (metal duct tape).

Brush or blow off the loose dust, and scrape off the hard stuff, or peel off the tape and replace it.

Philbert

Welding antispatter will work as well or a thin layer of tip dip for mig welding.:cheers:

Philbert

Even the ABN/CBN wheels leave that caked on residue. Where I currently grind doesn't have much airflow. Moving to a new house with decent shed so any dust issues won't be as much of a problem.

Welding antispatter will work as well or a thin layer of tip dip for mig welding.:cheers:

Good tip. Thanks :cheers:

Back