new chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only soak a chain in oil, if its significantly stiff and older needing a good soaking to help free it up some. on new chains, I just put em on the saw, and go cuttin.

Actually it is best to soak a new chain in a bath of bar and chain lube you might think the chain is oily when you get it but that is a rust inhibator from factory

SCOTT

Yep and even the dealer may not know that it needs oil; as I picked up a new 361 for a friend of mine -- the shop guy started it and immediately ran it full throttle before it had a chance to even warm up; and, the sparks flew everywhere. New bar, new chain and no oil, what do you expect? I finally got him to turn it off. Oh yes, and the instructions say 'don't run it full throttle' during break in; although I've read on this site that some people do this deliberately in the belief it reduces breakin time. Lot of pros and cons on this site. :) :)

Break in time=foreplay.
How long of foreplay do you suggest? Tequila and valiums reduce the time
under normal conditions.
Seriously, the tiny amount of time it takes before the oil hits the bar is silly,
on a saw that is in working order. Soaking the chain in oil before installing may make
you feel better, but that is all.

Fish? No time to play around?

This is what I do...because it seems like a good thing to do and it does not take too long. On a new BAR and CHAIN, install the bar and 1) dribble some bar oil in the front half of the bar. Then install the chain and 2) dribble some more on the top of the chain, pull the chain half way around and dribble more on top. If you have also replaced the sprocket this will oil it as well.

If I am only replacing the chain then I only do #2. Now Fish, you may still consider this fore play but it only takes a minute and it does make me feel good. ;)

I put on a cd of Barry White, and pour my saw a nice kahlua and milk, and makes her feel better about the experience as well. A foot rub, and all is well.

I did say foot, didn't I?

Thanks guys. Fish,I don't know if you're advice is good but its sure as hell entertaining...sometimes thats better. Since its about fifty-fifty on whether to pre oil a new chain I'll just do it on every other one. The rest of the time I'll spray the chain with wd40 like I've been doing.

Fish said:
I put on a cd of Barry White, and pour my saw a nice kahlua and milk, and makes her feel better about the experience as well. A foot rub, and all is well.

I did say foot, didn't I?

Kahlua and milk eh. :blob2: My saw, she likes the taste of wood. :cool:

This is from the Oregon chain website.
The life of your new chain can be extended by taking
these few simple steps before using it.
▲1. Before the first use, soak the chain overnight
to allow oil to penetrate all chain components.
▲ 2.Run new chain at half throttle for several minutes
before doing any cutting in order to allow oil to
reach all parts of the bar and chain. Let sprocket,
bar, and chain warm up fully.
■ 3. Stop, let the chain cool, then check and
▲ adjust tension often (especially
during the first half-hour of use).
Keep the first several cuts light. Keep extra oil on the bar and chain
during these first cuts, and do not apply heavy pressure.
 Never run any chain on an overworn drive sprocket, especially a new chain.
◆ Replace drive sprocket systems after every two chains, or sooner.

Wow, If you do everything the way Oregon said, I guess you could go to work tomorrow, cuz it would take the better part of the day to do all that.
I say, put on a new chain and let her eat. When it loosens up, adjust it.
I do agree with running fresh rims.
Andy

I see they recommend that.....but I have never done it....never had any stretch problems either since i started using decent saws, keeping the chjain sharp, sprokect fresh and chain poperly tensioned.

I have been studying the writings of the Philosopher FISH. I believe he might look at it this way (please correct me if I am wrong). Throw it on and let her stretch. Pull the extra DL back off and when you save enough of them up you can piece together a new chain. In a way you are making your money stretch (pun intended) and then you will be able to afford another bottle of your favorite beverage.

I follow Oregons recommendations when the circumstances allow it, with priority to the soaking in oil. Honestly I don't know if it helps or not, but at least it can't harm.
If there isn't time for proper soaking, I use WD 40 spray, but I don't really know if that helps either.

Running at half throttle for several minutes could harm the engine, so I skip that part of it. :angel:

Latest posts

Back