'new' chainsaw, pioneer 3071

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Valk

Reaction score
I recently acquired an older chainsaw, a pioneer 3071. It had a few age related issues, (wiring faults between the coil and plug for one, already fixed via bandsaw x soldering iron x JB weld ) but it also has a fuel related starting problem. I've replaced the line between the tank and the carb, but I'm still not getting flow to the cylinder. What do I need to do to the pump to make this dog hunt?

Last edited:
Not a bad saw at all there. first thing you have is to establish if it is an early or late model 3071. The early had pioneers first non points ignition and was offered with a pioneer or tillotson carb. Also the early ones had a six reed pyramid intake while later ones had a one reed intake. If yours has a tillotson carb then the rk23hs carb kit is easy to get and install (there are loads of threads on rebuilding carbs if you do a search), wich would be your next step in the trouble shooting process. If it has a pioneer carb then you would have to track down an old pioneer dealer with an obsolete parts stock. If the carb rebuild doesn't do the trick then pull the carb then the reed cage and make sure the reeds aren't sticking wich can happen on a saw that has been sitting for a while. It wouldn't hurt to clean/inspect the reeds anyway. If you have spark and compression then these steps SHOULD get you going. Good luck.

Almost forgot to mention, if you do have a pioneer carb and cannot find a rebuild kit for it then find a tillotson hs-116a and swap out the pioneer for the tilly.

Thanks for you help. It is an earlier one with the tillotson carb, I already pulled the top cover on it to see if I could diagnose any float issues (and spray in some cleaner), but it's apparently buried a little deeper than that.

I'm quite glad to hear there is a carb kit available, I was a little bit worried on that front considering the age of this thing.

It's got spark, it's got compression, I just need to get the fuel delivery working properly. It even came with a nice sharpener, a 4th gen granberg.

Not a bad saw at all there. first thing you have is to establish if it is an early or late model 3071. The early had pioneers first non points ignition and was offered with a pioneer or tillotson carb. Also the early ones had a six reed pyramid intake while later ones had a one reed intake. If yours has a tillotson carb then the rk23hs carb kit is easy to get and install (there are loads of threads on rebuilding carbs if you do a search), wich would be your next step in the trouble shooting process. If it has a pioneer carb then you would have to track down an old pioneer dealer with an obsolete parts stock. If the carb rebuild doesn't do the trick then pull the carb then the reed cage and make sure the reeds aren't sticking wich can happen on a saw that has been sitting for a while. It wouldn't hurt to clean/inspect the reeds anyway. If you have spark and compression then these steps SHOULD get you going. Good luck.

These carbs are not "Float" carbs. Once you have the rebuild/diaphragm kit then pull the carb off the saw. Remove the top and bottom covers from the carb, then pull off the old gaskets and diaphragm(be sure to remember the order that the gaskets are layered as you take them off). After that remove the diaphragm metering lever and needle(do NOT lose the spring under the metering lever), new ones will be provided in the kit. Once you have it disassembled then take your carb cleaner and blow out all the ports passages and gullies in the carb. I would not remove the adjustment needles at this point unless you are sure about how to adjust it right again, if that is no problem then take them out and blow carb cleaner through the adjustment ports. I almost forgot, you must remove any residual gasket material before reassembling with new gaskets. Now that it is all clean reassemble with new gaskets and diaphragm in proper order then re-install carb. If you had to take out the adjuster needles, then set your adjustments and it should (assuming there no broken or cracked fuel lines) start.

Latest posts

Back