New dangerous ways to cut wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks......my only concern at this point is that the rpm's won't really be high enough. It should have a no load speed of 4500. I'm not sure how that compares with gas chainsaws........Robb

What sprocket are you using on the shaft end? Anyway that you could go up a tooth or 2?? Would help your chain speed especially if you have a huge amount of torque.

TFB

It looks too powerful to be a hand held tool. I have a not to fond memory of drilling through a piece of steel with a large electric 1/2" drill motor. The bit hung and the drill turned in my hands, and very quickly. It darn near jerked my arms off.

I think that saw will do the same thing if it hangs up and I doubt you will quick enough to shut it off before it does you harm. Be careful!!

It looks too powerful to be a hand held tool. I have a not to fond memory of drilling through a piece of steel with a large electric 1/2" drill motor. The bit hung and the drill turned in my hands, and very quickly. It darn near jerked my arms off.

I think that saw will do the same thing if it hangs up and I doubt you will quick enough to shut it off before it does you harm. Be careful!!

I don't think he'll have the torque of a 1/2" drill, as they use a planetary gear setup [like a winch] to turn the chuck about 650 rpm. I know what you mean about the drills, my Ingersol Rand 1/2" has tried to 'get' me a few times.

Milling today...

I don't think he'll have the torque of a 1/2" drill, as they use a planetary gear setup [like a winch] to turn the chuck about 650 rpm. I know what you mean about the drills, my Ingersol Rand 1/2" has tried to 'get' me a few times.

I tooke the electric saw to test it out today and I was hopeful that I could get some wood cut. I did get one piece cut , and the saw has the power, but not the speed. I shop 2 videos at 36 volts.....Painfully slow! Then the last one of me cutting is at 48 volts. It started acting more like a saw should but that voltage is really beyond the capability of that motor and it did heat up. So.....it was a learning experience..........I will add that the plank I cut today was the roughest cut I've ever seen......I'm not sure why....I think it was probably the ice on the log........Robb
Video's::::
www.thechainsawmill.com/1.mpg
www.thechainsawmill.com/2.mpg
www.thechainsawmill.com/3.mpg
www.thechainsawmill.com/4.mpg

If it works I'll only be using it to mill.....so I'll have to rig a gravity oiler. As far as people saying its dangerous....well it is right now but I think you missed the part about it being not finished........I just love nay sayers......the more they nay, the more I do..........Robb
Nay nay nay!! :D
;)

Git 'er done man, cool beans! (as Thall would say)
Gravity feed oil ya say? Going to use the oiling holes on the blade?
Rem the golden rulz of KISS, you'll want ta keep chain replacement easy and un-cluttered :)
Gotta love building cool stuff! Probably a good thing I don't know how ta weld (yet) or I'm sure I'd have a dozen projects on the go, not the least of which would be a dune buggy or rat-rod (if I ever found a good hemi I'd build one around it :D ) *sigh*
On the saw, hm, Idda run pully and belt (s), if ya jamb you may want to have a breaker set up close by ;)

:cheers:

Serge

Nay nay nay!! :D
;)

Git 'er done man, cool beans! (as Thall would say)
Gravity feed oil ya say? Going to use the oiling holes on the blade?
Rem the golden rulz of KISS, you'll want ta keep chain replacement easy and un-cluttered :)
Gotta love building cool stuff! Probably a good thing I don't know how ta weld (yet) or I'm sure I'd have a dozen projects on the go, not the least of which would be a dune buggy or rat-rod (if I ever found a good hemi I'd build one around it :D ) *sigh*
On the saw, hm, Idda run pully and belt (s), if ya jamb you may want to have a breaker set up close by ;)

judging from what I learned today......about 5 horse industrial briggs, with a verticle shaft, mounted at the center of fence, would be a dream mill. gear it up and run a belt to the bar driving shaft and then you'd really have a good mill.....maybe even 10 horse.........Robb

Latest posts

Back