new dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruger14

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey fellas' i came across and add today and was wondering what the normal price of a 7900 was. is 549.00 a good buy, or should i wait for a better deal? if there is a better deal, who has it? any suggestions?
thanks,

B

549.00 is a good deal, I doubt you'll find a better price. Price isn't the whole story though. Make sure you can get parts and warrantee service if you need it (doubtful, the Dolmars a built tough).

Originally posted by Newfie
I'm not familiar with dolmar prices either, so it probably makes sense that I don't offer my opinion at all.:rolleyes:

Wow Mike, that's profound.

power porting the 7900

does the 7900 take well to power porting? what does it cost to have full woods mods done to this saw by ehp or dan? i had a husky done by walkers about a year ago and was and are still very pleased with the result. it cost me 150 dollars plus shipping. but from what ive heard on here, walkers barely touches the tip of the iceburg compared to some of the resident saw builders here on AS. what kind of gains can i expect? thanks for any answers.

B

You can expect a lot more from our resident builders than just about any other shop or builder around. You'd be a lot better off if you're going to have a new saw modded to buy it from one of our guys and just have them do it. That way they get credit for the unit sale on their dealership, you get a better price on the mods, and everyone walks away from the transaction feeling good.

Re: power porting the 7900

Originally posted by Ruger14
Does the 7900 take well to power porting?

I think it does. However, remember that not all saws respond the same. Some you get big gains, some are a little less. I have 2 Dan Henry Power Ported 7900's. I am real happy with the way they turned out. Dave Neiger and EHP are also modifying 7900's. I hear that Ed is getting real good results too. The 7900 is real potent right out of the box, power porting gains may not be as good as other saws.

Rich, I find the 7900 takes real good to porting and the percentage gained is equal to any other kind of saw and better than some saws and as far as engine quality , I took the rpm limiter out of the alcohol 7900 and turned her up just to see if the crank would take it , took her over to the husky dealer beside me , got Tony to hold the tach and she would spin over 17000 rpm's real easy , now that would be to lean to run her at but i just wanted to see if the rod was any good and she passed with flying colours

17K revs? that seems to be awfully high for a two stroke, if you had a KMS 4 with modified port timing I'd say that was a little low. I was told by a friend that if one was to take a rotary engine and close the original ports and put new ports in a different place that one could get the engine to rev at a redline of 27000 or so.

ruger14,
The price is a great one. that is not much more than alot of dealers cost. All I can do is match it. Ours are the red ones.
As far as porting. My EHP7900 will really run. Its a woods mod not a race mod. Its as strong as any woods saw I have seen. Ed can get great power out of a saw. He has 7 more of our 7900's right now. They are turning out great.
I think youcant go wrong with the Dolmars.
Hunter

LOL!!! @ Newfie

Is it safe to paraphrase? Like if your reply starts out with either " I don't know" or "I heard from a friend" it's probably better to just have a cup of ****.

Like I said ,I was just trying to see if the crank and rod was good and it is , the pipe on this saw right now has it turning at 14700 rpm's in the wood with a 10 tooth gear and a hungery chain using 120 fuel.

Ed,
See if the master Chains builder Gype can file you up some barb wire and make that thing really cut. LOL
We would like a video if you get a chance.
Hunter

crank/rod

Originally posted by ehp
Like I said ,I was just trying to see if the crank and rod was good and it is , the pipe on this saw right now has it turning at 14700 rpm's in the wood with a 10 tooth gear and a hungery chain using 120 fuel.

They will take 18,600 RPM, but don't expect to get more than a year and a half out of it in the woods. That kind of speed takes it's toll.

sorry I am with Ben on that one , first you got to figure out how to get the limiter out of there on the dolmar , then if you are using it for a worksaw you will be turning alot less than 18000 rpm's cause if it would turn that you would be so lean on gas she would just quit , and would get so hot she would be done like dinner, you would not have to wait a year and a half more like 1 minute if she lasted that long,
on the workported woodsaws I am seeing between 11,700 to 12000 rpm's in the wood using the power it has with a 7900, now you will have to push abit cause you will only have a 8 pin gear, race gears donot make good work gears they wear out fast,and the 8 pin 3/8's is as big as they make,
Hunter , I think I will use my own barb wire sorry gypo

Originally posted by ehp
Rich, I find the 7900 takes real good to porting and the percentage gained is equal to any other kind of saw and better than some saws and as far as engine quality , I took the rpm limiter out of the alcohol 7900 and turned her up just to see if the crank would take it , took her over to the husky dealer beside me , got Tony to hold the tach and she would spin over 17000 rpm's real easy , now that would be to lean to run her at but i just wanted to see if the rod was any good and she passed with flying colours

Ed, I am glad that you are getting the performance that you are from the 7900's. These opinions that I heard were made early on maybe before you came to AS. Keep up the good work!;)

Back