New England Pine owners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seachaser

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any of you own their chainsaw mills? Reviews?
Seems better built than most, but can’t find many reviews.

i have a cheap 36 inch chinese chainsaw mill. farmertech pretty sure.
i also have a granberg 72 in and it was very expensive.
so far they seem very equal in quality and build.
In retrospect i would buy a 72 inch chinese one and save a bunch of money.
its just a jig that hold the saw…. lol

Actually cheaper for the same setup. At least from what I’ve searched and seems to be better built. They keep sending me offers for cheaper after watching on eBay.
Ah I was just seeing website price of $329 for NEP 36” vs $279 for Granberg 36”. If it can be gotten cheaper, NEP one LOOKS well built but it’s all in hardware quality and weld quality at end of day and that can take time to reveal itself. Panther mills in UK are well built so NEP ones might be comparable quality.
so far they seem very equal in quality and build.
In retrospect i would buy a 72 inch chinese one and save a bunch of money.
its just a jig that hold the saw…. lol
It’s a jig w hardware and welds that break. Definitely get what you pay for. Friend on here just broke a U bolt on his six month old cheapie, lost time and ruined a couple $150 slabs. Most people strip threads immediately. Everyone says to replace all hardware from the get-go on the Chinese cheapies or they’ll cost you more in lost time and money in the end. I have a 20-25 year old Granberg that has run some hard service w a heavy 880 and nothing has ever stripped or broken on it. I got a second 24” near new Granberg for $100 used and put my spare 60” rail kit on it. So I’m all for cheap as long as I know I’m getting quality for cheap.

Over torque the hardware, bad stuff will snap and check the brackets to be square. File or mill as needed.

Replace the clamping bolts at the bottom to the pinch mount.

Have zero issues after buying my third cheap Alaskan. The first one had brackets near 88° 😳 stopped buying from Holz. No more issues but bolts will break when cranked down. Broke three on the fourth mill setting it up. No issues since.

Drilling all the bars and base mounts this week. Quick change chains needs to happen.

Wore out one cheap 600lb winch in two years from vibration. It works just loose now.

New England pine is known for selling complete packages they warranty with supposedly good customer service. That may be worth much more than the price of admission to many buyers.

Bought a NOS never used G555. I see no difference in quality verse China made cheap ones. The Grandburg hardware might be better. The uprights are the same. Brackets appear the same.

Drilling all the bars and base mounts this week. Quick change chains needs to happen.
Yup. Best way to minimize that weakness in the cheap mills is dispose of the bottom bar clamp and drill bars and thread top clamp for bolt on bars and quick change chains. Otherwise a bit of upgraded hardware and the cheapies should be fine, channel is channel, tubing is tubing. Between a Granberg small log mill and two Granberg Alaskans one 36" and one 60", I can't ever see needing to buy mills again. The small log mill was $120 at Northern Tool I think after coupons, the 36" I traded my 42" homebuilt one in Mexico to my workshop partner for, the 60" rail kit cost me about $135 I think, and the latest 24" Granberg cost me $100. So not a lot in all of them all told. The small log mill is the only thing I'd maybe do over, got it thinking I could convert it with my 60" rail kit to a full mill with minimal extra cost, but not that easy. With the extra 24" rails I have left over now though and a bunch of spare hardware I have, all I need is an outer post to make it a small Alaskan, don't need bottom clamps because it'll be bolt on. I like the small log mill for small project resaw jobs I can throw any small lo pro saw on, but that open ended setup ain't that reliable at keeping cuts dead straight, at least past 10-12" wide.

Latest posts

Back