new englander wood furnace that replaced the vermont casting 2461 that replaced the blaze king

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aikiman2000

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i started the house 8 years ago with a old blazeking from the late 70's early 80's. 8-12 hour burn times off large half rounds and decent heat out put. it preferred shorter large diameter half rounds. it gets -30 in my area. chimney brush needed by january/febuary and again in the spring.

4 years ago lots of cracks were showing up, decided to buy a vermont casting 2461 catalytic wood stove 405 lbs. year one was horrible....would take half the day and a arm full of wood to get the cat hot enough to fire off....then the stove would do well. i had to set the alarm in 3-4 hour intervals for reloading. i took the top off the stove and discovered the cat was covered in a 2" thick foam shroud that insulated it from the heat, and directed its heat to the chimney. removed the foam and made a metal shroud that directed the heat to the front so it could circle around before heading to the chimney....much better heat, and i could light off the cat in 20 minutes. but....the cat still needed frequent cleaning, keeping the fire alive for more than a few days with out it stalling due to the short burn times was the norm. the ask drawer couldnt hold more than 48 hours burn time with out being dumped. if the wood wasnt totally dry...forget it....and this stove was sooo picky! i got tired and removed the cat for the final two years.....i just get the draft established, then close the lever...this directs the heat through the same chamber plus secondary air as if the cat was in place........amazingly......same heat out put, same burn times and it would accept wetter wood.
this would stove preferred 20" small pieces split. burn chamber was long, but had no volume...door was undersized.

this october i spent 1360$ at home depot and bought a englander wood furnace. this thing is 588lbs....i bent my dolly! installed it with a chimney flue. it holds 25" logs, fire box is wide, and very tall......door size is nice and big. it has a 850 cfm blower on a thermostat.. i reload at night, check it in the morning....im getting 20-30 hour burn times....i could probably get 40 hours if i pushed it to stall with out reloading. and this is with small fires. 4-6 hours worth of wood for the vermont castings is 20 hours in the furnace. im building a small fire in the back of the burn box. the ash drawer is amazing i have emptied it 4 times this month....twice was just because i goofed up and let her stall.....i have lit the fire 3 times this month. heat out put is incredible...im 15-20 degrees warmer inside the house at any given out side temp compared to what the previous wood stoves were capable off. heres the best part......i build a small fire in the back of the fire box, then i stand rounds on end inside the fire box....and shut it down. 12 hours later i shove one round onto the fire, and place another in its spot. i always have a supply of baked dry rounds waiting inside the fire box for me.
also, this guy pushes more heat to the upstairs then my other two did.

That's sorta amazing the vast difference in usage there. Pretty good recommendation for what I am assuming is not a terribly expensive model, as big heaters go.

Your a thousand pounds off on the weight. Running the furnace like that, you will need to keep an eye on your chimney, especially burning wet wood.

I ran one for 5 years burning countless cords through it ..I've never seen anywhere close to 20 hours burn time let alone 30 or 40 . 10 if loaded up to the baffle with premo oak or sugar maple . You must live in the twilight zone or choking the air down dangerously .i liked mine and it would do the job but it was inefficient and used up more wood than I cared for compared to modern units with reburn technology

Back