New Evidence! Poulan Far Better Than Stihl or Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernon Tull

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gentlemen -- For your review is a great old ad from October 1986. In this large color ad, Poulan claims that its models 2800 and 3000 are considerably better than anything from Stihl or Husqvarna. Hopefully you can see the photo well enough to notice that the green saw is sitting atop a pile of broken import saws. I see a broken 041, an 028, an Echo of some kind, a Jonsered, and two Huskies.

That's one gutsy ad! Marketing balls, right there.

"Poulan: America's Chain Saw" it boldly states at the bottom.

Any of you ever have any experience with the model 3000 from Poulan?

MVC-008S.jpg

Vernon Tull said:
Gentlemen -- For your review is a great old ad from October 1986. In this large color ad, Poulan claims that its models 2800 and 3000 are considerably better than anything from Stihl or Husqvarna. Hopefully you can see the photo well enough to notice that the green saw is sitting atop a pile of broken import saws. I see a broken 041, an 028, an Echo of some kind, a Jonsered, and two Huskies.

MVC-008S.jpg

I can honesly saw of the 3 cube saws produced at the time the 2800 and 3000 could hang with the best.

I like them, they were designed well.

Pp305

I have a PP 305, that i think is their pro version of the 3000. Stock it hangs with any 50cc and under saw out there, just dont have the top end rpm's of the newer saws.

And back then, there was still such a thing as Homelite and McCulloch dealers too.

In a way, the whole thing is kind of sad, isn't it?

Did enjoy the ad though. Thanks Vernon!

305 action

Here's a pic of my 305 in action cutting 125 year old oak beams. Yes it was some very hard wood, but no problems after 2 months of solid cutting up of the fallen barn. It shared duties with a 220. I was to freaking lazy to sharpen chains after every freaking nail I would find to cut through, so I would just switch out saws.
Copy2ofDSCF0055.jpg

Cut4fun said:
Here's a pic of my 305 in action cutting 125 year old oak beams. Yes it was some very hard wood, but no problems after 2 months of solid cutting up of the fallen barn. It shared duties with a 220. I was to freaking lazy to sharpen chains after every freaking nail I would find to cut through, so I would just switch out saws.
Copy2ofDSCF0055.jpg
Why do you stack your firewood on top of your car?
It looks like a pretty nice car too. Is that a '69 Camaro?
Shoot, I'd come down and give you a firewood rack, and take the car. No charge.:pumpkin2:

Mike Maas said:
Shoot, I'd come down and give you a firewood rack, and take the car. No charge.:pumpkin2:
That was my new cant stand for praticing making cookies. Thing didnt move a bit believe it or not, like my homemade wooden one would.

Vernon Tull said:

MVC-008S.jpg

I had a Poulan 4000 I bought new in 1986. Did not like it. When it was running it was one fine saw. Problem was I needed to carry a small screwdriver as the carb would not maintain setting for more than an hour or two. I also had to put in a new jug and piston after only a few seasons of wood cutting (Locust did it in).

Harry K

Cut4fun said:
..... It shared duties with a 220. I was to freaking lazy to sharpen chains after every freaking nail I would find to cut through, so I would just switch out saws. .....
what happened when you had hit the second nail of the day?

:biggrinbounce2:

SawTroll said:
what happened when you had hit the second nail of the day?

:biggrinbounce2:
Well thats what the extra chains were for too. Just depends if it tore a cutter or two off when it dug into whatever I hit. Touch ups or chain change, depends on how long I had been cutting that day.
Weight of saw, dont notice it. Made in the 80's when men could still lift more then 12 oz curls, or in you case pint curls. The only saw I have ever complained about being heavy was a husky 2100. Everytime I lifted that thing to pass it for the next event, I was like dang that thing is heavy. Glad i bought the 066, over the 2100 now, just for the difference in weight. :hmm3grin2orange:

Mike Maas said:

I think its a 1968 RS with an 350ci, If I could only see the headlites.
Nice car hope it wasnt to bad.

69 with 66 327 bored .30, Have numbers matching 327 motor put back that came with car when bought new. Made 69 with a base 327 for only first 4 months of production, before switching to another base motor.
Sawtroll I will go get my 305 with gas and oil in it and saw dust build up and a 16" bar and stihl rs chain and weigh it for you, be right back.

305 wt

With a full tank of gas and bar oil in it. 16" oregon bar and stihl rs chain. Dirty with saw dust and oil caked on it. It weighs 13.8 LBS pounds.

the car

I hope the barn didn't hurt the car to bad!!!!!
beautiful car.
Was it original?

What's interesting about the ad with the pile of saw parts is that I see some small saw parts, like 015 parts, but I think I see an 056 in there, or something. Really, can you even compare a little 3 cube saw to an 056? I'd personally love to have an 056 mag II.

Latest posts

Back