New Fierplace, Any Tips???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm rider

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am getting ready to have a fireplace installed. I have no idea what the differences are in them. I have only ever used wood stoves and boilers.

I would like for this fireplace to actually threw some heat and wasn't just for "looks" any suggestions on which brand/model to look at for its heating ability???

Try this site in addition

Search on this site, but also try this one and read, read, read. Search functions can help a lot also.

Good luck, and let us know what you get.

MarkG

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewforum/2/

we have a fireplace xtrordinaire 36 elite. it has glass doors that seal, and a blower unit as well. it heats up to 2500sf. this was our first year, and we are extremely happy with it, and we plan to use it A LOT more this winter. i have 3 cords split and stacked and am hoping to add another cord, if i can find space/convince my wife we need it. definitiely look into it, and good luck! http://www.fireplacextrordinair.com/

we have a fireplace xtrordinaire 36 elite. it has glass doors that seal, and a blower unit as well. it heats up to 2500sf. this was our first year, and we are extremely happy with it, and we plan to use it A LOT more this winter. i have 3 cords split and stacked and am hoping to add another cord, if i can find space/convince my wife we need it. definitiely look into it, and good luck! http://www.fireplacextrordinair.com/

We are considering anything from an insert to a add-on boiler to our current boiler to a stove. I am leaning towards an insert as we primarily us our fireplace on the weekends because nobody is home during the week. I figure I can always add a stove later as I have the extra flue. How much did yours cost? Do you burn every day all day or just weekends?

Just trying to gather information and I have found this site to give the best info. with no B.S.

Rumford Fireplace

I just had a Rumford style masonry fireplace installed this spring in my new home construction project. I haven't burned in the fireplace yet as the home is still under construction, but a Rumford fireplace is supposed to throw off a lot of heat. This is due to the fact that the fire box is very shallow and the masonry construction. You can check out more info if you google buckleyrumford fireplace. The design of the fireplace has been around a long time and was created/designed by a Count Rumford sometime in the 1700's I believe? I had to put my foot down and tell my better half that we were getting a wood stove for heating and we ended up with a fireplace.......and a Yukon Eagle combination furnace. :clap:

this past season we burned on the weekends when we were home, and most everyday after we got home from work. the unit cost us around $3500, plus installation. the blower uses about 130 watts at full power. you can also install a "summer switch" which would allow you to turn on the blower say on a spring or fall day where it was cooler outside, a little stuffy inside and you wanted some fresh air. without the switch, the blower automatically turns on when the fireplace is heated to the proper temperture and the thermostat turns it on.

I just had a Rumford style masonry fireplace installed this spring in my new home construction project. I haven't burned in the fireplace yet as the home is still under construction, but a Rumford fireplace is supposed to throw off a lot of heat. This is due to the fact that the fire box is very shallow and the masonry construction. You can check out more info if you google buckleyrumford fireplace. The design of the fireplace has been around a long time and was created/designed by a Count Rumford sometime in the 1700's I believe? I had to put my foot down and tell my better half that we were getting a wood stove for heating and we ended up with a fireplace.......and a Yukon Eagle combination furnace. :clap:

You'll like the rumford. I have 2 in my house and they rock.... :cheers:

I use a 36" Comfort Glow fireplace withthe doors, outside air and blower.
When the temps are above zero the furnace doesn't run as long as you keep feeding in wood but, when the temp. hits -20 it doesn't do a whole lot to keep the house warm. The fireplace still saved me alot on fuel oil this year.
A word of caution on this unit, the doors are tempered glass so, you don't want to get a good hot fire going with the doors closed because they will blow out.. and I mean Blow out with small hot pieces embedded in whatever is in front of the unit. I would recommend spending a few more dollars and getting a unit that's airtight so you can control the amount of combustion air
increasing the efficiency and burn times. :blob2:

Latest posts

Back