New Firewood Fork Grapple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! I've been wanting a grapple for a couple years, but can't justify the price (I'm starting from scratch, so would need to plumb a diverter valve etc.).

I think something like your thumb on my forks would do the job without costing too much.

I chose to use my third function instead of doing a diverter valve. I like it so much better and it drove cost down. I plan on making 4 total remotes on the back of my tractor. If your interested in a low cost solution send me a pm Ill hook you up with a good price.

I got the fork and frame just like you got about a week ago. They make a modular grapple for it and I was thinking about just buying the center grapple and using the forks instead of buying a couple of the rakes. Think it would work? I don't have the tools and materials to just make one. Yours looks pretty sweet!

I got the fork and frame just like you got about a week ago. They make a modular grapple for it and I was thinking about just buying the center grapple and using the forks instead of buying a couple of the rakes. Think it would work? I don't have the tools and materials to just make one. Yours looks pretty sweet!

I do not think you will be happy with that setup. The grapple you could purchase only has 19 inches of reach, so you will be under utilizing the forks. Also you will have the bottom rake that may make the forks hard to use. The grapple you see in my videos has a reach of 40 inches, allowing full utilization of the set of 42 in forks.

Gundy, you also have a PM

I do not think you will be happy with that setup. The grapple you could purchase only has 19 inches of reach, so you will be under utilizing the forks. Also you will have the bottom rake that may make the forks hard to use. The grapple you see in my videos has a reach of 40 inches, allowing full utilization of the set of 42 in forks.

Gundy, you also have a PM

How is yours easy on and easy off? Can you make a vid putting it on and off?

How is yours easy on and easy off? Can you make a vid putting it on and off?

Let me see what I can come up with. By easy on and off, I didnt want to bolt a bunch of stuff together, I think I can have it off in just a few minutes and back on in the same. It does utilize two bolts to keep tension though.

Would be sweet if you could figure out a way you could still pick up pallets with the grapple on. Looks like you could still pick one up but it couldn't be super high.

I havent had to deal with it yet, however with the jaw fully open, it is somewhere around 52 inches. Ill have to remeasure to get exact.

Really nice set up ! I have a jd 5400 - my pallet forks are the floating kind and not the fixed - I toyed with the idea of making a grapple using a rock bucket or finding an old set of fixed forks like you have. Nice build !

Couldnt have asked for a better way to get big rounds out of the woods.

Attachments

• 20161015_095445.jpg
    20161015_095445.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 60
  • 20161015_095453.jpg
    20161015_095453.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 65
  • 20161015_100430.jpg
    20161015_100430.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 65
  • 20161015_100459.jpg
    20161015_100459.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
  • 20161015_100505.jpg
    20161015_100505.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 46
Very nice. I love building my own equipment as well. I posted this one awhile back. Built for our 5325 Deere.
da16715ab163522e061a49fe59d08b00.jpg
c50707e2893c72aecf51430cea03bbc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captjack, Ryan's forks are adjustable in width. Flip up the little lever and slide them sideways by hand.

what I meant was that they are floating meaning when I tilt the forks forward the hang - so it would be hard for me to reach over something and "grab it" because the fork dont stay flush against the mounting plate unless I curl back- these are not mine but similar - they are not attached at the bottom. It is great for moving pallets cause they are always level but are not good for trying to poke and pick logs out of a pile IMG00129.jpg

I bet you could bolt up two plates one in front, one in back, and that would hold them steady without breaking anything.

I see what you mean now captjack. Must be some way to jerry rig them to stay tight at the bottom? They are handy for some things though.

If it were me, I would drill and tap along the bottom. You bolt them down when you needed and open them up for normal purposes.

Latest posts

Back