New flipline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Can someone recommend a good flipline for spur climbing?
My climbing skill set is at "n00b" level. As the new generations calls it these days.
Trees around here are smaller diameter. Lots of birch, spruce, alder, largest would be cottonwoods.
Current gear is a Bashlin linemans saddle, spurs, etc. This is just for learning.

Looking online common sizes are 8-12ft. Was thinking a wire core. Thickness?

I HIGHLY recommend the ART Positioner for your flip line adjuster...with the swivel eye. Pick your rope from there. Since you are doing removals (that is assumed since you are climbing on spurs...no spurs for pruning), I'd go with a steel core flip line. Especially since you are a self-proclaimed "noob"...it is a lot safer than not.

Given you are supposed to be tied in twice (TITS - Tie in Twice Stupid) when cutting on spurs, you may want to consider an adjustable friction saver for you climbing line. It gives me a lot more confidence for slippery barked trees like alder.

I just tied a lanyard using a distel hitch and micropulley as an adjuster. I used a piece of 24 braid climbing line. It's long as well so can be a little handier when moving through the canopy. The wire core is more awkward to use on smaller stems, works better on bigger stems.

Wire core gives more security against handsaw cuts, but won't slow down a powersaw WOT (wide open throttle).

Latest posts

Back