new garage heating ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueoak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Building new garage and need some ideas for heat. Garage is going to be 36x48, it will have insulated garage doors and walls and ceiling will be well insulated. I would prefer it to be wood heat but any ideas would be appreciated. thanks

Would a wood furnace work or a multi-fuel furnace work in this situation? Kuuma VF-100 or another furnace might work in this situation.. Budget? Heating needs? like how hot are wanting to keep the garage? Just a few questions

Building new garage and need some ideas for heat. Garage is going to be 36x48, it will have insulated garage doors and walls and ceiling will be well insulated. I would prefer it to be wood heat but any ideas would be appreciated. thanks
what happened to the same post from yesterday?

I have in-floor heat in my garage/shop. It's nice but when it' time to crank up the temp it is very slow to respond as in about 1° per hour. I just leave it set around 52° all winter.

Oh, any my boiler is fired with natural gas, not wood.

My Insurance Co. asked, "Are there any combustibles in the garage with the wood stove? Well just about everything in there has either gas or diesel in them. I took the wood stove out and have a 75,000BTU gas furnace. They were OK with the stove in the house.

I've always been spooked off the idea of putting a wood stove in my garage. All those gas cans in there seem like an accident waiting to happen.
I have a separate garage that could store that stuff

I had my heart set on infloor heat from the start but as I thought about it and ran some numbers the thought of spending that money and having something go bad during install or after is gut wrenching.

I have in-floor heat in my garage/shop. It's nice but when it' time to crank up the temp it is very slow to respond as in about 1° per hour. I just leave it set around 52° all winter.

Oh, any my boiler is fired with natural gas, not wood.
What kind of insulation did you put under floor and around footings

I had my heart set on infloor heat from the start but as I thought about it and ran some numbers the thought of spending that money and having something go bad during install or after is gut wrenching.

Unless you have someone doing a halfazz install, this is a common install these days and they DO know how to do it right... Just don't hire some fly by night company...

SR

Whatever you do, don't use floor heat. Takes to long to warm up and no reason to waste the energy to heat something 24/7 if you don't need to. Get a hanging heater that is forced air and put a hx in it with a boiler.

I have a cumberland gap stove in my shop/barn/garage/man cave, which is built similar to what you are planning with respect to insulation. Mine is a bit smaller at 24x42 but my stove doesn't struggle at all to heat the space into the upper 70s in single digit conditions. I keep my gas cans in a shed 100+feet away.

Stove with double wall pipe to ceiling box, where it converts to SS:image.jpg

SS 6" Chimney just to the left of the peak:
image.jpg

I would like it to
I have a cumberland gap stove in my shop/barn/garage/man cave, which is built similar to what you are planning with respect to insulation. Mine is a bit smaller at 24x42 but my stove doesn't struggle at all to heat the space into the upper 70s in single digit conditions. I keep my gas cans in a shed 100+feet away.

Stove with double wall pipe to ceiling box, where it converts to SS:View attachment 393253

SS 6" Chimney just to the left of the peak:
View attachment 393254
Nice garage,how much wood do use through out a eight hour day to keep it up to temp. Do you have any problems with it getting to hot.

Latest posts

Back