New gear basics for trainee climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't do srt so I can't tell you the gear for that. If you want to start simple and cheap, sort off drt then work your way into srt. All you need to sort with the set up you have is a climbing clip (drop forged steel) and you are good to go.

and preferably a different saddle
What can I do with this saddle? Just what's the safest way to climb with this thing and how would you want to be tied in. I might just take a flip line and go up and down on a practice tree in my yard and see if it's comfortable enough. I'm trying to learn everything at the company before I go to a better place. South Jersey is a tough location

I don't do srt so I can't tell you the gear for that. If you want to start simple and cheap, sort off drt then work your way into srt. All you need to sort with the set up you have is a climbing clip (drop forged steel) and you are good to go.
I'm a Noob trying to learn as much as I can so I could do side jobs climbing. And in a few months get a better climbing position. Where the pay is a lot higher

I'm a Noob trying to learn as much as I can so I could do side jobs climbing. And in a few months get a better climbing position. Where the pay is a lot higher

I'm going to keep this short before Jeff starts yelling at us. There is nothing wrong with your saddle. Put it on and hang from the webbing loops. It ain't gonna break. Don't do sidework you will be doing our profession, yourself and the client a disservice. You don't know what you don't know. It takes time and patience.

I'm going to keep this short before Jeff starts yelling at us. There is nothing wrong with your saddle. Put it on and hang from the webbing loops. It ain't gonna break. Don't do sidework you will be doing our profession, yourself and the client a disservice. You don't know what you don't know. It takes time and patience.
Right now I only do storm clean ups and dropped trees. Side work *. I've got 4 years tree service, driving bucket and chipper. But that maxes out at about 22hr here, climbing is 25hr to 100hr here in South Jersey. Had to take the leap. But safety is my number 1 concern

So...I gotta always ask in these "I'm a new climber and want to know what equipment to buy" threads:

Do you know anything about trees? Are you planning to do prunes or removals?

Leave the spikes on the ground if you are doing pruning - always. And if you are pruning and don't have a strong background of tree knowledge leave yourself on the ground for a while too. That is both a safety and quality thing. Safety because if you don't know what you are doing/what you should be cutting, 50' up isn't the place to try to figure that out. Quality because there is good pruning and there is a LOT of bad pruning.

If you are doing removals figure out how trees break, forces involved in rigging, how limbs react when weight is removed, etc, etc...

Right now I only do storm clean ups and dropped trees. Side work *. I've got 4 years tree service, driving bucket and chipper. But that maxes out at about 22hr here, climbing is 25hr to 100hr here in South Jersey. Had to take the leap. But safety is my number 1 concern

Good luck and be safe. Also, who is paying $100.00 per hour? That sounds too good to be true unless you are running your own business.

Can you show me a good 1 to order? Trying to order the rest of the things I need today

Climbing trees is no joke. I dont get the vibe from you that you are respecting it as such. I run SRT and cut straight through my line on the back side last month. And I climb a lot. I always lanyard in when I make a cut so I was good. Its easy not to though. With DRT your rope is right in front of you. You need to start with that system. Once its tied right, its bombproof. I had a tree scheduled for December. Its a big white birch. I was going to climb and rig it. It fell over on Tuesday. It was windy but nothing crazy. I'm not saying I woulda knocked it down but damn... you never know. Everyone wants to put a small amount into starting up. Where you need to not skimp is on education. Recreational climb too. The risk is real, respect it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I know I wouldn't trust those webbing loops lol. But thats just me...

I have those webbing loops on my saddle. Totally trustworthy. The problem is that they don't slide side to side if you need to maneuver into awkward positions.

To the OP. You've been climbing 2 weeks and already want to get into SRT? Baby steps my friend, baby steps.

I have those webbing loops on my saddle. Totally trustworthy. The problem is that they don't slide side to side if you need to maneuver into awkward positions.

To the OP. You've been climbing 2 weeks and already want to get into SRT? Baby steps my friend, baby steps.
To be honest I really also wanted to know why I had a good amount of cash. All the other gear I should order

srt yet gonna need a bunch of stuff, and there are several different styles. at a minimum you will need two ascenders be it one hand and one foot, two hand, or knee and foot, coupled with some sort of attachment to the climb line be it a zigzag, unicender, kroll, prusick, what ever and none of this stuff is cheap and you really shouldn't get any of it used.

Then once yer up the tree you need to come down so you'll need some sort of descender, figure 8's, handled descenders, unicender etc

the hand and foot ascenders are really not meant for life support, they can and will hold your weight, but have a habit of voming loose when ya don't want them too, hence something else to tie in with.

a third option is a hybrid system, like a yoyo but its even more gear intense.

my current srt is really a yoyo, but hand ascender with micro pully up high, lone goes down to petzle idl hooked to belt, back up to micro pully then down to sometimes another hand ascender with a foot loop or just muh fangers... all the benifits of 2 to 1 ddrt without the set up hastle

R.A.D.S. is what I use. Its simple and you can go up and down. Also work the line both ways one handed. Plus, it pulls you back in like a drt when you limb walk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back