New girl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can look around this site for some info. Just remember that the notch is like the steering wheel on a car. Learn to make a good one. And you can't overcome gravity without some means to overcome gravity. If it's leaning then use rope or wedges.
That's the short version. I'm sure they'll be more advise to come/
Phil
Logging eTool - Making the Cuts - Kinds of Notches

Welcome to ArboristSite Countrygirl99!

Lots of great info here, and many forums to check out. The search function will get ya started for basic info you seek, and particular questions you can ask straight out.

Have fun and Saw Safe Sister!

P.S. Gonna send some "Rep" for ya...the one green dot looks lonely...:cheers:

welcome to AS. regarding the search feature - i don't ever use it. i typically google the subject i'm interested in, such as - sharpening chain, using the following format:

sharpening chain site:arboristsite.com

this allows me to see all the posts on arboristsite.com (and only on arboristsite.com) pertaining to sharpening a chain. beats the snot out of the AS search function.

what level is your experience, what type of saws and other hardware, and what is your physical capability? be advised that the most important muscle when felling or bucking trees is the one between your ears. be smart, be wise, and carry on.
jerry

welcome to the site :)
as for how to fell a tree, there is no one sure way for every tree
but if its leaning the way you want it to go, and assuming you have room to put it there
make a nice notch, 30-90 degree, the wider your notch, the longer the hinge will hold, a narrower notch will break your hinge when it closes (or it may, if its a smaller tree, stall there)
make you notch about 1/3 in, careful to line you cuts up
then make your back cut slightly elevated
be sure to leave the hinge, the hinge controls the direction of fall
always be safe, be sure you have a couple escape routes
watch your back cut, once it starts opening, slow your cut down and be ready to pull the saw out and move a safe distance
if it starts closing, stop cutting, leave the saw in the cut, and then work out the solution to your problem
if you have a nice meaty notch and the tree is otherwise healthy, it should hold, but dont bet your life on that

welcome to AS, thats a rough topic, everyone is gonna say something different, just play it safe and if it comes down to it DROP THE SAW AND RUN,

When felling a tree you must start with safety. Remove all clothing above the waist to ensure no shirt tails or sleeves get cought up in the chain. :rock:

AWW MAN...Did you go there? I was waiting and scrolling down and it didn't take long.lmbo:laugh: Listen to these guys and be safe or better yet you can call someone to make sure it is done correctly so you DO stay safe.

AWW MAN...Did you go there? I was waiting and scrolling down and it didn't take long.lmbo:laugh: Listen to these guys and be safe or better yet you can call someone to make sure it is done correctly so you DO stay safe.

What....? Thats the way all the ladies run a saw here in TN. Man... I thought everyone knew that. :monkey:

You can look around this site for some info. Just remember that the notch is like the steering wheel on a car. Learn to make a good one. And you can't overcome gravity without some means to overcome gravity. If it's leaning then use rope or wedges.
That's the short version. I'm sure they'll be more advise to come/
Phil
Logging eTool - Making the Cuts - Kinds of Notches

welcome to AS. regarding the search feature - i don't ever use it. i typically google the subject i'm interested in, such as - sharpening chain, using the following format:

sharpening chain site:arboristsite.com

this allows me to see all the posts on arboristsite.com (and only on arboristsite.com) pertaining to sharpening a chain. beats the snot out of the AS search function.

what level is your experience, what type of saws and other hardware, and what is your physical capability? be advised that the most important muscle when felling or bucking trees is the one between your ears. be smart, be wise, and carry on.
jerry

welcome to the site :)
as for how to fell a tree, there is no one sure way for every tree
but if its leaning the way you want it to go, and assuming you have room to put it there
make a nice notch, 30-90 degree, the wider your notch, the longer the hinge will hold, a narrower notch will break your hinge when it closes (or it may, if its a smaller tree, stall there)
make you notch about 1/3 in, careful to line you cuts up
then make your back cut slightly elevated
be sure to leave the hinge, the hinge controls the direction of fall
always be safe, be sure you have a couple escape routes
watch your back cut, once it starts opening, slow your cut down and be ready to pull the saw out and move a safe distance
if it starts closing, stop cutting, leave the saw in the cut, and then work out the solution to your problem
if you have a nice meaty notch and the tree is otherwise healthy, it should hold, but dont bet your life on that

Best way is to learn from an experienced Tree cutter period!:msp_wink:

These folks have definitely guided you in the right direction. I am, without a doubt, a true rookie but I got a lot of good advice from this site, and I started with small trees, like 6-8" in diameter. When it came to felling a couple 70' tall 18" trees, I had an arborist friend of mine come over to check my previous stumps to look at the cuts, and he coached me as I was making the cuts for the big trees.

When in doubt, seek professional coaching. There might even be somebody local you could have come out to consult and prevent you from hurting yourself or property while you are cutting the tree down.

Nick

Just a FYI, these forums are public, anyone who chooses to write stupid sexual remarks to the opposite sex, risk's being charged with sexual harassment, look it up, it happens all the time, facebook! Brings bad light to the site. Moderator, you should pull it.
I know it was just in fun, but someone else can take offense and they may not even post, but just read it and print it. Be careful bro.

Sorry for the disrespect country girl. Respect is often thrown out the window here, so I hope you have thick skin! You will see fights between us, but there is no place for that.

If your serous about learning, the computer monitor is not the place to learn. You need to be there with someone who knows what they are doing. Its about safety, no more , no less.

I said that for the humor and knowing there is a good chance that isnt a female behind the original post. Look back at all the "males" that start a thread on I have no experience and need info on how to fell a tree. That dude will get 15 responses that tell him to hire a pro and sell his saw.
The funny thing about the responses here are they would confuse the hell out of a newbie becouse they give in detail what you should do spoken in arborist language....newbies speak english and only get half of what they are saying...(just enough info to get hurt). I find it funny to see how helpful you guys get when you think you may acually be talking to a "woman". Maybe I should start a thread "Smokin Hot Redhead In Need Of Arborist Advise" :cheers:

Just a FYI, these forums are public, anyone who chooses to write stupid sexual remarks to the opposite sex, risk's being charged with sexual harassment, look it up, it happens all the time, facebook! Brings bad light to the site. Moderator, you should pull it.
I know it was just in fun, but someone else can take offense and they may not even post, but just read it and print it. Be careful bro.

Sorry for the disrespect country girl. Respect is often thrown out the window here, so I hope you have thick skin! You will see fights between us, but there is no place for that.

If your serous about learning, the computer monitor is not the place to learn. You need to be there with someone who knows what they are doing. Its about safety, no more , no less.

If I didn't know any better i'd say your a female after reading this post:tongue2:

I said that for the humor and knowing there is a good chance that isnt a female behind the original post. Look back at all the "males" that start a thread on I have no experience and need info on how to fell a tree. That dude will get 15 responses that tell him to hire a pro and sell his saw.
The funny thing about the responses here are they would confuse the hell out of a newbie becouse they give in detail what you should do spoken in arborist language....newbies speak english and only get half of what they are saying...(just enough info to get hurt). I find it funny to see how helpful you guys get when you think you may acually be talking to a "woman". Maybe I should start a thread "Smokin Hot Redhead In Need Of Arborist Advise" :cheers:

i like redheads. hahahahahahahahahaha
ill help ya! :msp_biggrin:

Back