new guy here...looking to get into the wood game.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rygar

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Step 1 - just purchased and had installed a Hearthstone Clydesdale 4891

Step 2 - i have about 7 cords of wood in log or rounds in the backyard now

i have what appears to be a pretty old homelite super 2 16" chain saw

i am trying to figure out what is the next thing to invest my money in.
do i get a splitter, new chain saw or stick with the current saw and go with a fiskars maul

Step 1 - just purchased and had installed a Hearthstone Clydesdale 4891

Step 2 - i have about 7 cords of wood in log or rounds in the backyard now

i have what appears to be a pretty old homelite super 2 16" chain saw

i am trying to figure out what is the next thing to invest my money in.
do i get a splitter, new chain saw or stick with the current saw and go with a fiskars maul

What is the primary type of wood you have? Do you gather wood yourself or have it delivered?

If you do gathering yourself, I would say a newer saw is a good item for your next purchase.

You can always split by hand until you have the money for a splitter and in fact a lot of people here don't use splitters.

What is the primary type of wood you have? Do you gather wood yourself or have it delivered?

If you do gathering yourself, I would say a newer saw is a good item for your next purchase.

You can always split by hand until you have the money for a splitter and in fact a lot of people here don't use splitters.

So far its mostly been maple/oak that ive gotten. As for the wood, this year i will buy some to start as i have nothing seasoned, but going forward i will make sure to gather and transport the wood on my own.

ive got a v8 truck to haul, so ill just need a heavy duty trailer and in the near future i have to build some kind of wood shed.

what are most opinions on wood sheds?

Wood sheds are nice but not necessary. Wood will season if cut, split and stacked (c/s/s) off the ground (on pallets, rails, etc.). No cover necessary unless you are in a high rain climate. If you cover the wood, only cover the top. Sun and wind are your friends.

After the summer months, you may cover the wood that will be used for heating in the cool months to come. This will keep the snow and rain off of it just before you use it. Around here, it's usually before the remnants of a hurricane or tropical storm blow through in September.

If you don't have chainsaw experience, watch all the Stihl chainsaw videos on their website.

Get some PPE: chaps, eye & ear prot., steel toe boots, and gloves are a minimum. If dropping any trees, get a helmet, too.

While you're at it, get a felling wedge or three. They are not only good for dropping trees, but they can get your saw out of a pinch when bucking firewood.

If you encounter large logs, a cant hook or at least a logjack may come in handy.

If you don't have chainsaw experience, watch all the Stihl chainsaw videos on their website.

Get some PPE: chaps, eye & ear prot., steel toe boots, and gloves are a minimum. If dropping any trees, get a helmet, too.

While you're at it, get a felling wedge or three. They are not only good for dropping trees, but they can get your saw out of a pinch when bucking firewood.

If you encounter large logs, a cant hook or at least a logjack may come in handy.

i actually spent some time watching videos. i put down a tree on friday and had a perfect hinge. put in the release cut and used a wedge to make her drop.

good to know about the wood shed not being a true necessity. i have plenty of pallets and will start splitting asap.

here are some pictures:

wood stove
972029_10100346844557977_1450411569_n.jpg

just under half of my cur
312905d1378183335-photo-jpg

Your first order of business is to get what you have in rounds split and stacked. The old cut it down throw it in stove mind set doesn't work anymore for current stoves ( open fireplaces & outdoor boilers maybe, but that is changing also). Also the knock two splits together and if they sound like baseball bats its good to go is quite misleading as well. Some types of wood can be good to go if split on the small side and stacked in plenty of sun and wind in as little as a a year. Very dense wood such as Oak, Hickory, Locust and the like will generally take at least 2 years or longer depending on ambient conditions. There really is no comparison to properly dried wood in the new stoves vs marginal. 98% of wood sellers product despite there claims are seldom properly dried out to a moisture content of less than the magical 20%. Wood sitting in rounds barley looses moisture content, sufficient for todays stoves.
Like your insert install as well.

Last edited:
Your first order of business is to get what you have in rounds split and stacked. The old cut it down throw it in stove mind set doesn't work anymore for current stoves ( open fireplaces & outdoor boilers maybe, but that is changing also). Also the knock two splits together and if they sound like baseball bats its good to go is quite misleading as well. Some types of wood can be good to go if split on the small side and stacked in plenty of sun and wind in as little as a a year. Very dense wood such as Oak, Hickory, Locust and the like will generally take at least 2 years or longer depending on ambient conditions. There really is no comparison to properly dried wood in the new stoves vs marginal. 98% of wood sellers product despite there claims are seldom properly dried out to a moisture content of less than the magical 20%. Wood sitting in rounds barley looses moisture content, sufficient for todays stoves.
Like your insert install as well.

thank you very much.
thats one thing that i am worried about is that if i buy some wood this month i can't tell for sure how seasoned it is. I just bought this house a year ago and this insert last week so i havent had the time to prep my wood which is why im getting on it right now for upcoming seasons.

Those appear to be longish rounds, so get to splitting now. No idea when they will be ready to burn, this is real late in the season to count on anything split now to be ready to heat with.

PPE check

Backup saw check

Whatever you decide to split with. I have fiskars axe plus a box store maul plus a BFH and wedges, and use all of them, plus noodling...

Get two or three years ahead, never any worries about dry wood then

Those appear to be longish rounds, so get to splitting now. No idea when they will be ready to burn, this is real late in the season to count on anything split now to be ready to heat with.

PPE check

Backup saw check

Whatever you decide to split with. I have fiskars axe plus a box store maul plus a BFH and wedges, and use all of them, plus noodling...

Get two or three years ahead, never any worries about dry wood then

i do not have a back saw, but once my father sells the house (has an offer now) i will have a back up saw.

I am thinking of starting with a fiskars X27 as i am about 6'3. Also, the rounds that are stacked between the trees have been there since about March. I was hoping that those might be possibly usable towards the tailend of the season.

Most of those rounds are longer than what my stove can fit. The tree removal company did this length even though i asked for 18", but i am certainly not complaining.

It also makes a difference in how old you are. I've split by hand for close to 30 years. Many years ago I had a big commercial splitter, but when my Dad retired and I quit selling wood, I sold it. Since then I might burn 5 cord and sell 2 or 3 per year. I've always enjoyed splitting by hand, and showing off, out splitting all of my younger friends. Now I'm 57 and the past couple years splitting has turned from fun to work. I broke down 3 weeks ago and bought a little 22 ton Huskee. I've gone out for about an hour before work and split and stacked 4 cord. I haven't split every day because I keep running out of rounds. The splitter runs for about an hour on a tank of fuel and that gets me just about a 1/3 of a cord. So, welcome to the site, and keep the pics coming, Joe.

It also makes a difference in how old you are. I've split by hand for close to 30 years. Many years ago I had a big commercial splitter, but when my Dad retired and I quit selling wood, I sold it. Since then I might burn 5 cord and sell 2 or 3 per year. I've always enjoyed splitting by hand, and showing off, out splitting all of my younger friends. Now I'm 57 and the past couple years splitting has turned from fun to work. I broke down 3 weeks ago and bought a little 22 ton Huskee. I've gone out for about an hour before work and split and stacked 4 cord. I haven't split every day because I keep running out of rounds. The splitter runs for about an hour on a tank of fuel and that gets me just about a 1/3 of a cord. So, welcome to the site, and keep the pics coming, Joe.

I am 33 so hand splitting will have to be the primary choice. Luckily i have 2 friends that have volunteered log splitters. I would eventually like to get a mobile splitter that i can possibly take out to the woods. this way i can down a tree, cut up split and stack in the pick up and trailer. I can apply for a permit with State of Connecticut DEPT of Agriculture to take down tree's in state forest.

I will post plenty of pictures. Since tonight the forecast is for about 60. I will bust open all the windows and doors and do my first fire on the wood stove. i just have to make sure it doesnt get to hot and read the instructions again.

That old Super 2 is a decent enough saw and will certainly cut some wood. Are you planning to heat solely with wood or just as a helper/ambiance? If your plans are to heat your entire house with nothing but wood, invest in a bigger saw first. Stihl and Husqvarna are both great brands but will cost you some coin. I bleed orange all the way but I've seen some Poulan Pros in action and for the money, they are a good saw. You can split a lot of wood with an X27 but a decent splitter will certainly speed the process. All aforementioned comments about PPE are also must haves.

Hello,
Even though you are only 33, buy a splitter !!!!! Why beat yourself up when you don't have to. Plus, you will get it done faster and not risk an injury to your back or shoulders. I like to work smart and easy.......that's why I use my skid steer to lift up logs to cut instead of using a lever or car jack under the log !!!! Quicker and easier...that's the way to roll !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Hello,
Even though you are only 33, buy a splitter !!!!! Why beat yourself up when you don't have to. Plus, you will get it done faster and not risk an injury to your back or shoulders. I like to work smart and easy.......that's why I use my skid steer to lift up logs to cut instead of using a lever or car jack under the log !!!! Quicker and easier...that's the way to roll !!!!!

Henry and Wanda
yeah i agree. its just that i spent a ton of money on the stove so have to save up for splitter.

plus i have a few friends that will loan me one. so the only PITA will be driving up and getting it.

any words of wisdom for my first fire in the new wood stove?

i was going to use a few pieces of very dry oak (from a pallet)

Several smaller fires to season the unit in and a lot of open windows as the residuals from mfg burn/ flash off. ( paint curing from the heat is a bit nasty)

Back