New guy husqvarna 357XP rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetPaid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new first post on the form. Want to start off saying thanks been doing a lot of reading past few weeks. I bought my first project saw for $100 other day a husqvarna 357XP 2010 model I believe I will post pictures. The run down the saw was neglected badly never cleaned pull handle broke ect. I tore it down yesterday found the worst scorched piston on exhaust side I ever seen the jug is trash. It has the Zama carb and metal clamp style intake. Pressure washed and cleaned on it for 3 hours looks 10x"s better. I ordered a OEM husqvarna part#537248502 factory rebuild kit. I hope that's right. The bottom end bearings are tight and look good. Saw cleaned up pretty nice so far ordered clutch cover also pull handle. The air filter was choked slap up and I was wondering what burnt up the saw so bad all the lines look brand new. I was wondering if I should put a cylinder plug do away with the decomp valve. If I do I wonder if I have to do anything else besides putting the plug in the cylinder where the decompressor valve was. The owner had mixed gas in it but I think it was just neglected very badly any pointers from the pros will help. I am just a commercial Refrigeration mechanic and my dad and brother cut trees on the side big bucket truck all that crap. I am a Stihl guy at heart first husqvarna ever bought and first rebuild also and looking forward too it excited. Looks like a well built saw. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas guys. Thomas from NC.

Here are the Picts if they upload thanks guys these are when I cleaned the heck out of the saw I don't think the owner ever did

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    944.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    800.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    858 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    768.1 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    791.3 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    877 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    888.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
Welcome!

One of the best saws ever made!!!

The cylinder can likely be cleaned up, so don't throw it away. New oem P&C is a good start. Just use the decomp valve, but if you use the plug, that's fine. Might need a carb kit & definitely new fuel line & filter.

It also needs a vac/pressure test to make sure no air leak.

Thank you sunfish I seen on other threads you are the husqvarna man. I am just a ol country boy in the carolinas trying to learn a little something about a husqvarna. I just hope I didn't get burned bad for $100. I ordered parts yesterday from baileys. I might ask some more questions when I get the parts in. How do I do a pressure vaccum test. I have a big vaccum pump that I use in refrigeration hvac just don't know how to hook it all up on a chainsaw.

I'm no expert of Husqvarnas, but I do specialize in 346 & 357s' I guess. :)

I'd pay $100 or a little more for that saw, so you did good.

The exhaust & intake need to be sealed & a vacuum applied, needs to hold 10 lbs for a good while. I never do a pressure check, but some say it's needed? No expert here either, but I can usually tell if there's an air leak by how the run/tune.

I'm no expert of Husqvarnas, but I do specialize in 346 & 357s' I guess. :)

I'd pay $100 or a little more for that saw, so you did good.

The exhaust & intake need to be sealed & a vacuum applied, needs to hold 10 lbs for a good while. I never do a pressure check, but some say it's needed? No expert here either, but I can usually tell if there's an air leak by how the run/tune.

Hey don
I rebuilt top end and rebuild carb it was super clean. I pressure tested to 10psi after rebuild and vaccum tested to -15 OEM top end. I pressure tested the fuel lines and impulse also. Only thing I am waiting on is the heavy duty intake clamp like on the 372xp with the actual screw. I wanted to know how did you muffler mod yours exactly any tips I cut the carb limiters also. I replaced clutch cover put the decomp plug and some bigger spikes I can't wait to see how it runs. I was just wondering about the muffler mod here is a picture of my muffler. Thanks buddy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    896.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    910.4 KB · Views: 61
I am just trying to still figure out the best way to do a muffler mod. This site has ruined me on chainsaws lol

Hey don
I rebuilt top end and rebuild carb it was super clean. I pressure tested to 10psi after rebuild and vaccum tested to -15 OEM top end. I pressure tested the fuel lines and impulse also. Only thing I am waiting on is the heavy duty intake clamp like on the 372xp with the actual screw. I wanted to know how did you muffler mod yours exactly any tips I cut the carb limiters also. I replaced clutch cover put the decomp plug and some bigger spikes I can't wait to see how it runs. I was just wondering about the muffler mod here is a picture of my muffler. Thanks buddy.
Looks good man. I add a second port on the forward side and gut the partition inside. Some add the port behind the partition. Here's a couple photos.

Hey thanks so much for pictures don very much. Like my port is on top from factory did you just close that off weld it up and cut a hole on the side and weld up the deflector man tell me some more details looks very good

Yep, has dual exhaust. :)

Don, one last question to get the perfect circle did you use like copper pipe or metal pipe cut with a chop saw and then brazed on or welded how do you get the welder not to burn through that thin metal. Thanks man sorry to ask so many questions. I just really like your set up maybe I need to just ship my muffler to you and pay you to get it right. Thanks man just trying to learn a little something.

Don, one last question to get the perfect circle did you use like copper pipe or metal pipe cut with a chop saw and then brazed on or welded how do you get the welder not to burn through that thin metal. Thanks man sorry to ask so many questions. I just really like your set up maybe I need to just ship my muffler to you and pay you to get it right. Thanks man just trying to learn a little something.
Sorry for the late reply. Use a hole saw and thin wall steel pipe. Braze in place.
I can weld this thin stuff, but it's easier to braze.

Ok I braze a lot at work doing refrigeration HVAC do you use like electrical EMT pipe just cut and what kind of solder do you use. We use like 15% silver solder for copper and do you just keep that internal baffle in the muffler. Thanks don hate to keep asking questions. Have a good day buddy.

Latest posts

Back