New guy, old Husky, and a sprocket question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tasso

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, new here so I guess I'll throw in a quick introduction before I ask my question.

The name is Tasso, and from what I've seen on this forum my saw experience is somewhat limited compared to a lot of you. Most of what I've done is as a firefighter (A Faller) and some semi-pro mitigation/chipping. I'm excited to be here and to learn some cool stuff.

I just got myself a real strong running 1983 Husky 61 Rancher at my fire department's garage sale for a steal. I'm tossing the old worn out chain and bar and I've got new stuff in the mail. The spur sprocket looks like it needs to go as well. I want to convert to rim style but I'm having trouble finding info on what parts I need to convert. Looks like Oregon part number 102469 is what I need, but can one of you guys corroborate this? They are using serial numbers to differentiate between old and new style, but my serial number doesn't look like what they have listed. I'm calling mine a 1983 cause is says so on my silver serial number plate, 1983 020856 is the full number, white top cover.

Is my saw just old enough that it predates the "Before S/N 0510572" that Oregon is calling for? Does that kit have everything I'll need? :msp_confused:

Thanks, man. It seems like all the fire service uses is Stihls, 440s and 460s. Outboard clutches and older saws are a new world to me so I appreciate the advice. Where's the e-clip on this sonofagun?! :laugh:

Are there symptoms of a bad oil pump drive or is it one of those things that just wears out then breaks? I'll check it out but if it all looks good I'm inclined to save the money.

EDIT: I went out and took a closer look at my oil pump drive. That thing looks brand new. Thanks for the heads up all the same!

Last edited:
No need for an apology KilliansRedLeo, I was just joking around. I appreciate the help.

ft. churchill, I'm starting to see what you mean about parts availability and interchangeability. Being stuck at home with a busted ankle, a tax refund, and a new saw is a dangerous combination.

Is my saw just old enough that it predates the "Before S/N 0510572" that Oregon is calling for? Does that kit have everything I'll need? :msp_confused:

Yes, Your saw is a 1983 one like you assumed, and 0510572 means 1990 week 51 (the numbering system changed in 1984).

Btw, the 61 is still made by Husky, in Brazil.

Latest posts

Back