new guy that wants to do things right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsagrind

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am getting into this business because I like it, i have a good size budget to start with but want to do this right, if you had to start a new business, what equipment would you purchase?

When you say "this business" what are you talking about? What do you want to focus on? Figure that out before even starting your shopping list.

If you don't know the answer, look around and ask yourself what market will be best served by what you bring to the table (YOU, not your equipment or money). Don't take this step lightly.

Tree service is a big world. Propigation, tree planting, plant health care, pruning, utility clearence, removals, stump grinding only, logging, firewood, topping and filling caveties with cement (just make sure you use rebar :laugh: ), etc. are all pretty different from each other. If you try to do it all out of the gate, you will probably not make it. If you decide what you can do best and do that, you can grow into the ability to offer a wider array of specialties.

i am getting into this business because I like it, i have a good size budget to start with but want to do this right, if you had to start a new business, what equipment would you purchase?

You know, other than letting on that you have some loose money to spend, there is very little you give to work with.

No concrete idea of what you want to do based upon your post, nor what if any experience you have.

that said, there are plenty of helpful folks on this site that I am certain can give you some useful tips and ideas if you can provide a bit clearer framework about what you wish to do.

Yes, better scope of what ya plan to do. You can go to SCORE and they will help in developing a business plan. Helps you cover ALL the bases. As posted above, there are many things to figure out before equipment. Some books would my first purchase. Then, the age old answer! and here it comes, go seek a mentor!,learn from him. That is based on the guess, that you don't know a whole lot, beings your asking about equipment. Take it slow and steady, baby steps.
And yeah! what kinda budget ya talking? Good luck!

good advice

so far feedback has been helpful: oops i should be more specific, I would really like to work the landing for Rygaard, but those guys are to slow for me and don't yell at Dave enough. my focus to start with is stump grinding, trimming and removal of smaller trees 14-16 inches in diameter or less, I bring big muscles and bow saw :msp_biggrin: I have been in sales for 15+ years in the construction business, I currently own a remodeling company, mainly my own houses that I would flip and I have several rental properties, the rentals have become self managed, and am happy with the number of units I currently own, grew up on a farm and have been running a chainsaw cutting down trees since I was 10, the old man didn't believe in being a kid, (the jerk) anyway, so I currently have 4 removal jobs, trees are less than 14 inches in diameter, the stump removal, have some stump removal jobs and some lot clearing to do. I am studying to become certified. at this point I have a chainsaw to start wrecking things with. my budget well lets say $50,000.00 to start with. yey I know thats a stump grinder if your talking all new, which I would not buy starting out, not interested in debt either. I have been looking for a mentor and companies to work with but I keep getting the cold shoulder, which is fine, I will just keep plugging a way at it. I am not afraid of heights, i have climbed silos before and I don't have a saddle because I don't ride horses. :laugh: (JK I read a thread earlier about hiring tree climbers)

There are many things that you need to investigate and think about before you buy your first saddle. ;)

How hard is it to get liability insurance in your area if you have no tree business experience?
Are there any state or local licensing requirements?
Do you plan on hiring any qualified tree workers to start?
Do you have the time and energy to learn one of the most basic parts of the business, how to climb?
Do you have the time and energy to learn proper rigging techniques and safety procedures?

I like your enthusiasm, IMO you need to cover all of the bases, (only a few of which I've touched on) before you go and invest that hard earned $50,000.

those are all good questions, I have plenty of time and am currently researching climbing equipment, I have 20 acres with some huge oak trees to practice with, insurance- I am covered , I am a one man crew looking for advice on the equipment.

Last edited:
I like this thread and the fact you are seking our opinions. My advice is to go slow NEWBIE. The Trees you will learn to approach everyday are all most likely older than you and deserve respect for their hard work and patience. So dont go off in a mad rush to start putting your life in danger or the ones you employ. Removals I have learned are a fact of life, but try to understand the true meaning of Arboriculture before spending that money on tools and related that will collect dust as you try to do everything according to the book we could write for you. In hindsight I wished I would have asked more questions here over the years pertaining to the difficult decisions, which could be found at the weirdest places. If you find a decision needs to be made just remember how long the Tree has stood in one place, surely it will not move during the decision making phase.

With axmen burning an image in the back of your mind and 50K burning a hole in your pocket, the sky's the limit.

Let's see.....

Let's figure 10-15k for a good used chipper.

5K for a used stumper.

10-15K for a Chip Truck.

10k for a skidsteer or loader

And the rest in saws, assorted gear and biz expenses.

Yeah, you could spent 50k by tomorrow afternoon. Good Luck!

With axmen burning an image in the back of your mind and 50K burning a hole in your pocket, the sky's the limit.

Let's see.....

Let's figure 10-15k for a good used chipper.

5K for a used stumper.

10-15K for a Chip Truck.

10k for a skidsteer or loader

And the rest in saws, assorted gear and biz expenses.

Yeah, you could spent 50k by tomorrow afternoon. Good Luck!

what brands do you think are the best when it comes to used equipment? figure the previous owner maintained it perfectly. I will buy a self propelled stumper, considering a 2008 sc352 with a new diesel engine, 800 hours, all options and new teeth $15000.00

Last edited:
Yes, better scope of what ya plan to do. You can go to SCORE and they will help in developing a business plan. Helps you cover ALL the bases. As posted above, there are many things to figure out before equipment. Some books would my first purchase. Then, the age old answer! and here it comes, go seek a mentor!,learn from him. That is based on the guess, that you don't know a whole lot, beings your asking about equipment. Take it slow and steady, baby steps.
And yeah! what kinda budget ya talking? Good luck!

as far as the mentor, I have been looking for a partner in my area, if anyone out there is looking for a partner in western Mpls, please respond other than actual tree care knowledge, I bring many other skills to the table.

what brands do you think are the best when it comes to used equipment? figure the previous owner maintained it perfectly. I will buy a self propelled stumper, considering a 2008 sc352 with a new diesel engine, 800 hours, all options and new teeth $15000.00

Wow couldn't describe your business goals clearly and asked some leading questions....and blame detailed response on a specific chipper......hhhmmmmm:msp_rolleyes:

Wow

Wow couldn't describe your business goals clearly and asked some leading questions....and blame detailed response on a specific chipper......hhhmmmmm:msp_rolleyes:

wow, I find it interesting that you offer nothing but ridicule and make fun of the new kid that wants to learn. :msp_unsure: I am just trying to get started and am looking for any assistance to make sure I am not a hack. Sorry if my grammar isn't perfect.

hey man chillin at Arboristsite will get you places in the Tree Care business. Dont worry about people razzin you for this and that, there will always be people tryin to give you a hard time no matter where you go. But here we have experience~ valuable experience, we have been where you are just startin out and personally... I would be very glad to help you progress by giving advice if you need it. Dont lose touch with members who can help...private messages can get you answers even if you are finding it difficult to hook up in real time. keep in touch newbie.
Have some rep!

so far feedback has been helpful: oops i should be more specific, I would really like to work the landing for Rygaard, but those guys are to slow for me and don't yell at Dave enough. my focus to start with is stump grinding, trimming and removal of smaller trees 14-16 inches in diameter or less, I bring big muscles and bow saw :msp_biggrin: I have been in sales for 15+ years in the construction business, I currently own a remodeling company, mainly my own houses that I would flip and I have several rental properties, the rentals have become self managed, and am happy with the number of units I currently own, grew up on a farm and have been running a chainsaw cutting down trees since I was 10, the old man didn't believe in being a kid, (the jerk) anyway, so I currently have 4 removal jobs, trees are less than 14 inches in diameter, the stump removal, have some stump removal jobs and some lot clearing to do. I am studying to become certified. at this point I have a chainsaw to start wrecking things with. my budget well lets say $50,000.00 to start with. yey I know thats a stump grinder if your talking all new, which I would not buy starting out, not interested in debt either. I have been looking for a mentor and companies to work with but I keep getting the cold shoulder, which is fine, I will just keep plugging a way at it. I am not afraid of heights, i have climbed silos before and I don't have a saddle because I don't ride horses. :laugh: (JK I read a thread earlier about hiring tree climbers)

You don't need 50 G's to get started in tree work. Here is the list.

1. insurance
2. a truck preferably a 1 ton and well used, don't smash a good one!
3. PPE helmet, climbing boots, cutting pants etc.
4. saddle, nothing fancy just comphy
5. ropes, 7/8" bull 200', 2 climbing ropes, 1 utility
6. pulleys for all rope sizes and lots of locking carabiners, webbing -tubular for slings.
7. leg irons
8. saws 1 large 288ish, med. 357 and a small echo or Shindiawa , a telescopic pole saw will be helpful, Stihl makes a good one.
9. Big shot sling shot it works and saves a lot of time.
10. a site to dump branches given that you have not bought the chipper yet.
11. All ancillary equipment, saw files, chain, spare saw parts, tools this list goes on and on.
12. Rescue 8 times 2 on for you and one for the ground guy, you are going to have a ground guy right? Not having one makes life real hard.
13. Beraneck's book of general tree work will help answer stuff you may be unfamiliar with.
14. experience, you need good fundamentals on the ground before you start topping trees. You can't run from a bad cut when you are tied in.

That is the beginning of a shopping list of things that will be needed anyway. I missed some things that you will figure out as you progress. How far you want to take it after the basic stuff is up to you. Good luck

wow, I find it interesting that you offer nothing but ridicule and make fun of the new kid that wants to learn. :msp_unsure: I am just trying to get started and am looking for any assistance to make sure I am not a hack. Sorry if my grammar isn't perfect.

Itsagrind
I apologize if you read my post as ridicule. I was merely writing in agreement with some of the earlier posts such as Racerx's where he indicates some of the more important business aspects vs the said equipment. Many times new guys get all focused on gear and that is great but a solid business plan, especially in today's economy, would serve to you better in building a business with a solid foundation. You were looking unclear in your approach and specific venue yet totally clear on make model size and used price of specialized equipment. i.e the stump grinder.....you wouldn't use that for pruning or planting. Again sorry if my post came off at all offensive and I should have taken the time to write my intended meaning with more clarity. I hope I can be of help in the future and welcome to AS.
Scrat

You have good drive and a stake, but like a lot of others have said, you need a good buisness plan. I have been in this buisness as a top employee for many years. I have lots of experience, but when I decided to start a buisness of my own years ago, I got a real eye opener. I never worked so hard for so little that first year. It gave me a new respect for owner operators. Before I shut down I had an ulcer, was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and ended up losing my home and owing the IRS.
I am happy now helping others run their businesses in the field. Chipper truck blows up, I still get paid and go home, something get destroyed or if a job runs way over, I get paid and go home and get a good night sleep.
Not everyone can bid right, put in the non-stop hours(it seems)of maintenance and book keeping, working all day and then bidding jobs after work or before.
My point being there is a lot more to running a tree service then climbing and counting your money. My hats off to all you owner operators, and good luck isagrind. Beastmaster

From what I have read this thread makes me laugh & then thinking it to be serious.....just gives me gas!!

1st- muscles & a bow saw :laugh::laugh::laugh: you have done sales & climbed silos......:laugh::laugh::laugh: x 1000

refer to thread titled "where do they come from"

WOW!!!!

LXT......................funny no ones afraid of heights till you put em up there :msp_rolleyes:

From what I have read this thread makes me laugh & then thinking it to be serious.....just gives me gas!!

1st- muscles & a bow saw :laugh::laugh::laugh: you have done sales & climbed silos......:laugh::laugh::laugh: x 1000

refer to thread titled "where do they come from"

WOW!!!!

LXT......................funny no ones afraid of heights till you put em up there :msp_rolleyes:

Yeah, but I am in a mellow mood so I am seeing what ya'll are saying before I jump in.
Jeff :msp_tongue:

Back