New guy wanting some opinions on equipment and some advice on how to learn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am not in the tree trimming industry yet, but I am wanting to start doing some side jobs and eventually start a company. I am not even sure where to start the learning process on the climbing and was looking for some advice on that. And what type of equipment do you all like. Any help on what to do to get going on the learning part would be greatly appreciated. Currently I am in to lawn and landscape and used to own my own company but gave that up for school and now I work for another company. I did go to school for horticulture so I am able to identify the various trees and diseases. Mainly what I am looking for is how to learn the technical skills. But right now I am really interested into becoming an arborist and doing my own thing with trees not work for someone else. Thanks, Chad

Welcome,

I will tell you now your gonna learn some great things from the guys/gals on this sight...cant tell you how much they have taught me...

As just about every member of this sight will tell you...Tree Climbers Companion...trust me its worth it...its like 15 dollars on line...and great book.

Personally i also like to go through the video section of this sight. Check out Ekkas...website he is has some great videos on there.

Another book i personally really like and doesnt seem to be talked about to much is Fundamentals of General Tree Work..

I think many of the guys here will agree, if your working for a landscaping company...and you want to running your own tree service business. Why not consider working for a tree service business....you will start at the bottom...but what better way to learn then hands on...and get paid on the way..

Best of luck with it...listen to the members of this sight you will amazed how much you can learn

Everything above, great post BTW!!!!!

Get the Tree climbers companion first!!!!! That will be a good guide for choosing gear.

As fo gear, I say kep it cheap for now. You will buy some gear you wont use, you will buy some gear you don't like. Keep it cheap see what works, then add to that. You may find out you don't like it that much anyway, or on'y want to do it every now and then.

sawinredneck, what part of Kansas are you from? I just ordered the tree climbers companion. Unfortunattley I am not in a good position to go work for a tree company at the moment due to the fact that right now I am not in a good situation to take a pay decrease for a while. I am trying to do as much learning as possible on my own and if there are any schools and or any hands on seminars I will try to attend those. Any more suggestions would be great Thanks alot. I am hopping I can pick this stuff up fairly quick.

Just outside of Wichita.
Look in you're phone book for a Vermeer dealer near you. They usually have a lot of the Sherril stuff in stock, and the guys that work there usually know what they are doing.
That would be my advice as a good place to start.
Look at some small tree companies in you're area. Be honest with them with what you are wanting to do and volunteer you're time for training. Work evenings and weekends if you can. Trust me, trying to learn this solo is near imposible!! It's doable, bu takes twenty times longer with 100 times the frustration!!
I've been "trying" for a year now, I spent five hours with some people I've met that were in town, and learned more in that time than I had in the year on my own, 'nuff said?

I know where the vermeer dealer is(about 10 mins away from my house) I will have to go up there and see what they got. I usually have free weekends so when I get done doing my reading I think I will try calling some of the smaller companies up and see if they are interested in helping with my training in a trade for my time. Would it help at all if I were to go get some climbing equipment and started climbing trees in my yard for recreation to help get the hang of just climbing. What do yall think about the wolf claw climbing spikes(not sure what the technical term for this is).

That won't hurt, first and foremost learn you're knots!! Learn the termination knots to you're saddle, figure out what friction hitch you want to use, thats easy for you to remember and tie. I use a Blakes hitch, works well and is easy to tie, others are more comfortable with others. Throw you're line in a tree, tie verything off and hang there, see if it's strong enough and you feel safe, then go a bit higher. Learn to hip thrust, and play with footlocking. Get down some of the basics then add to you're knowledge from the true climbers.
As for the "spikes" "gaffs" etc., stay off of them for now. That will start another war:help: It's ussually best just to use them for removals so to prevent damaging the tree's.
You will hear a lot more about this soon enough.

many will think its a waste of money and i personally think its a toss up...

i dont no how you learn but if you want to learn what i would consider the most basic way or rope climbing i would buy Tree Climbing Basics the dvd....dont get me wrong, alot you will think is dumb...but if your looking for some basics and some basic knots...it will show you

best of luck

Check with your Vermeer dealer. They usually have a Sherrill rep do demos on their catalog items. Its a very good first step. Thats how I got interested in climbing the right way. Or if you can afford it the TCIA expo is coming up in November. Just take your time and learn to climb first for the first year. Don't even worry about taking a saw up with you. You'll know when its time. Pete

Good posting. This guy will be up a tree in no time. Make sure you have your knots and hitches right. (I checked my knots with the pro's at a gtg before going higher than 5'.) Go slow at first and use your head. There's a big difference between looking at it from the ground and feeling yourself in a tree. Sounds like your halfway there, buy yourself some stuff and get climbing.

Went to Vermeer today and got some books. Got the tree climbers companion, and the art and science of practical rigging. Got the tree climbers companion read through probably gonna read it a few times to help it sink in. I also took a look at some saddles while I was there and I think that next week(If I am over my pneumonia) I am gonna get a saddle and climbing rope and lanyards and some other misc. stuff and start practicing climbing on some of the trees in my yard. I am also going to try and get enrolled in a climbing school that is in the beginning of october, but I think that it is going to be full already but never hurts to call and see if they still have a spot left. Hope I am going in the right direction so far. What saddles do yall prefer?

Weaver double dee. No complaints. Lots of loops and things to hang your tools from. Sometimes I bring up the kitchen sink with me. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thats actually the one that I tried on today. It seemed to fit well and be comfortable. I was almost too small for the small size though. Man I can't wait to get unsick and start climbing. But atleast I have plenty of time to read up and sit around and practice all my knots.

+ 1
The weaver double dee...awesome saddle

i bought mine i think for 160...and i love it...once you break them in..they are great

and like Adrpk said lots of loops and rings on it is really really nice

best of luck.

Where are you doing your climbing school..???

It is put on by the Kansas Arborist association. I called today though and unfortunatley they are full and they only do it once a year I am on the list though if some one cancels hopefully. Do you know of any other schools. Looks like I may be starting from scratch with no instructor. O well it was worth a shot nd hopefully I can find another school.

You got a heap of good advice so far no offense sawinredneck but I learned how to climb on my own after some reading.Start off with about 120' of climbing rope,a camming lanyard,and whatever saddle you choose.Don't buy ascenders just yet until someone can show you how to use them properly.Start off with the body thrust,trunk walking,and footlocking.I also recomend the fundamentals of general tree work and tree climbers companion as well as watching all of Ekka's videos in the tree care videos forum.Before you go climbing to trim or remove make sure a pro who does it for a living will come watch you and make sure you know what your doing.DO NOT DO A JOB WITHOUT A QUALIFIED ARBORIST ON SITE UNTIL YOU GET THE HANG OF IT TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO DID TREE WORK WITHOUT AN ARBORIST ON SITE, MORE THAN ONCE I FOUND MYSELF IN OVER MY HEAD BECAUSE I THOUGHT I KNEW IT ALL.Don't get that last line wrong I'm not yelling at you just making my point.i WISH YOU GOOD LUCK AND SAFE CLIMBING.

Back