New Hampshire logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
Just got back from a little trip through the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire and I was very impressed by the number of pulp and saw log trucks I saw on the road. Been going to the Whites for a number of years now, and maybe this year was just coincidence, but I saw dozens of saw log trucks and pulp trucks every day. Way more than in years past.

Looks like a good time for the forest products industry in that region.

The tree huggers have been tying up planned cuts in court for years now. Maybe time ran out on them . Harvesting in WMNF is about 10% of what it used to be and far below sustainable yields. The huggers won't be happy until it all goes up in smoke one of these days like out west.

Thats the truth!! They hate cutting trees but love their wood homes and paper:angry:

You're probably right, Newfie. From a quick glance at the saw log trucks as they were going by (or I was going by them), there were plenty of 18-24 inch dbh hardwoods logs loaded up. Very good to see! I should've snapped some pictures. :rolleyes:

I hear yas

They are the bastards going around vandalizing jhonest hardworking logger's forest machines. Then they think we are doing wrong by cutting down trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then they put all their posters and panflips up useing paper!!!!!!!!!!O my goodness and where do they think the paper comes from?? maybe the moon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :blob2:

Hello,I heard pulp prices are way up.Fire wood up in Bangor Me I was told is at $200 per cord!That is almost city prices.
I know the fire wood guys are having a hard time getting logs in southern Newhampshire and paying a premium in southern Maine.
The good with the bad.Just means fire wood will keep going up.:angry:

I talked with one fire wood guy in Bangor and he is paying $115 per cord log length from the mill.I dont know what mill prices where in the past but that is more than I pay for my logs down here.Not complaining!

Firewood

We are tryen to sell firewood for $200 per cord Canadian and thats sawed and split. So thats like $170 american? and people around here think its to much

Allan is right mills are paying good money for pulp , right now I'm getting $95 a cord from the mills I deal with. Up north in NH there really is not all that much left for timber except pulp it's pretty rare to see any saw longs come out of the woods up that way..

It's Happening Now.

It must've been rare in the past ten years or so, but like I said, when I was up there in August, the saw log trucks were everywhere. And,it wasn't just 8-10 inch diameter logs but mainly big stuff, 18-24" or more! I haven't seen that EVER, so maybe something changed? A big area opened up for cutting? I was in the north-eastern part of the Presidential Range for some hiking and the roads were filled with saw log and pulp trucks. Totally cool.

Back