New here....and a new Echo CS490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shrps74

Shrps74

I've been following this site for a while...just joined today...I've had chainsaws my whole life..(I'm 68 now)...started cutting pulpwood on our farm at the age of 12 with a then "new" Pioneer...currently have a 36ish year old Mac PM610 (that still runs great) and a 31 year old Echo CS 6700 (which is now the CS680)...it still screams...OK...yeah, both get a tad heavy when I'm just limbing or cutting small stuff...soooo....I went ahead last week and an ordered a CS490 with an 18" bar...got it yesterday...(besides a Homelite 330 I had many moons ago, this is the only saw I've had that doesn't have manual oiling). I ran a tank thru it last evening, cutting some smallish dead pines and a couple of dead oaks (I've got around 30 acres of woods). I think this will fit the bill!! Cuts great..Now..can some one give me the details on the muffler mod??? Thanks! Shrps74

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I've been following this site for a while...just joined today...I've had chainsaws my whole life..(I'm 68 now)...started cutting pulpwood on our farm at the age of 12 with a then "new" Pioneer...currently have a 36ish year old Mac PM610 (that still runs great) and a 31 year old Echo CS 6700 (which is now the CS680)...it still screams...OK...yeah, both get a tad heavy when I'm just limbing or cutting small stuff...soooo....I went ahead last week and an ordered a CS490 with an 18" bar...got it yesterday...(besides a Homelite 330 I had many moons ago, this is the only saw I've had that doesn't have manual oiling). I ran a tank thru it last evening, cutting some smallish dead pines and a couple of dead oaks (I've got around 30 acres of woods). I think this will fit the bill!! Cuts great..Now..can some one give me the details on the muffler mod??? Thanks! Shrps74
I have had my new 490 for a few weeks. I like it as well as the Sthil 026. Here is my thinking about the muffler mods. The Sthil 029, 026, and 024 NEEDED the MM. The old Poulan 2150 did too. But,. When I modded the Echo 310 Muffler I had to also adjust the carburetor. The saw used more fuel, ran out of fuel faster, and was louder. The increase in power was hardly noticeable. Since 2015 I've used an Echo 590. After it was broken in its never needed anything other than a tweak on the carb screws. Have not even removed the caps. I run 3 different size bars, 20, 24, and 28 inches. Run good chains and the saw runs perfect. Plenty of Power and keeps up with my brother's 391 Sthil. Why void a warranty unless it's necessary?
The 490 isn't broken in yet but cuts right along with the Sthil 026.
About manual oilers .
Frankly I prefer Automatic.
Every saw that I've bought in the past few years have auto oilers or I refused to buy them.
Most of my saw's have adjustable oilers. On those saws I've maxed them all way open. IMHO, there is never to much oil on a chain. In every saw I mix straight gas and oil to a 40:1. Unless you are competing I don't think you'll see enough power increase to modify the muffler. Maybe, after my saws are well broken in I'll give the Echo's a MM and see what happens. I did read somewhere that a guy MM an Echo 590 and instantly regretted it. Just my thoughts and opinion. Yours may differ.

Deleted member 149229
D

Deleted member 149229

Look on YouTube, it’s a very easy mod. Then look up how to remove the carb limiter caps and you may have to retune. After those mods on my 490 and my buddy’s that saw really woke up. Oh yeah, welcome to AS and you’ll love that saw. Congrats.

Bobby Kirbos

Bobby Kirbos

Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs
How did it effect fuel consumption, starting reliability and warranty?
The guy I bought my 490 from did a muffler mod before he sold it to me. My 346 - I ripped out the catalytic converter before I even fueled the thing up. I have no base line for fuel consumption.

Starting and reliability have not been an issue for me with either saw.

Warranty - Yeah, that's a good one.
  • More often than not, Echo will deny warranty claims if you run the saw on a day that ends in "Y" (Assuming that you're working in English). Don't even THINK of running a different spark plug. The factory calls for an NGK BPM8Y. If you run an NGK BPMR8A or Champion CJ6Y ( :eek: God forbid a different brand equal), warranty is void.
  • If you remove the limiter caps, warranty is void.
  • The muffler mod is easily reversible. Should something break (unrelated to the muffler), it's easy to undo.

BUT, I think Echo makes a quality product that, with proper maintenance, does not see the repair bench often (if at all).

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The guy I bought my 490 from did a muffler mod before he sold it to me. My 346 - I ripped out the catalytic converter before I even fueled the thing up. I have no base line for fuel consumption.

Starting and reliability have not been an issue for me with either saw.

Warranty - Yeah, that's a good one.
  • More often than not, Echo will deny warranty claims if you run the saw on a day that ends in "Y" (Assuming that you're working in English). Don't even THINK of running a different spark plug. The factory calls for an NGK BPM8Y. If you run an NGK BPMR8A or Champion CJ6Y ( :eek: God forbid a different brand equal), warranty is void.
  • If you remove the limiter caps, warranty is void.
  • The muffler mod is easily reversible. Should something break (unrelated to the muffler), it's easy to undo.

BUT, I think Echo makes a quality product that, with proper maintenance, does not see the repair bench often (if at all).
True, also, we know Bar oil consumption SHOULD be LESS than fuel and fuel tank empties BEFORE bar oil. Right! We all know that. Well, tractor supply had bar oil cheap so of course I bought a gallon. I have downed quiet a few trees and with my hand injury only limb and buck one fill up on the saw a day while I'm healing. Today I filled the saw, oil and gas and started working. Seems like the saw ran forever so eventually I shut down and checked. Bar was hot. Not ruined, but very little oil. No oil in oil tank. Gas almost gone. This saw must run every drop out before dying. Looking at the bar oil it's about like 30 wt. motor oil. Don't feel tacky. We ALL know oil viscosity effects oil flow. What I learned today is:
When running oil you are not sure about fill gas half full OR keep Checking the chain. Of course I added STP and a good oil additive to my bar oil.
A good viscosity checker checker can be made by drilling a 1/8 hole in a piece of thin metal. Bend it 90% half inch then dip in oil and look at the hole. I've seen oil span the hole. Also in winter lighter oil works. Today it's pretty hot here. With that said. Echo just might warranty the oiler. After this saw gets broken in and I know it's oiling right then modding the muffler seems like a good idea. Even if it uses a tad more fuel that's not a problem. Also, My opinion is running a little rich might give it more lubrication. More lubrication might equate in a longer saw life. Good day.

James Miller

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
20180318_075733.jpg My 490 setup like this will empty the bar oil be for the fuel every time. With the factory 16" .325 bar I always had some oil left when it was time to re fuel. Also didn't notice any loss in run time per tank with the muffler mod.

Attachments

• 20180318_075733.jpg
    20180318_075733.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
View attachment 649794 My 490 setup like this will empty the bar oil be for the fuel every time. With the factory 16" .325 bar I always had some oil left when it was time to re fuel. Also didn't notice any loss in run time per tank with the muffler mod.
Good to know. I'm running a 20 inch bar. When I get the viscosity right it should be fine. I always open the oil flow adjustment wide open also. I added STP and also a good oil additive. I'm a fanatic about enough oil on a bar. When I teach new users the procedure is ALWAYS, without fail fill bar oil tank BEFORE adding fuel. When I sell a saw to an unskilled person FREE lessons are offered. Good day.

James Miller

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
That bar is for a 2300 poulan. I'm running 3/8lp on my 490 it feeds through the top bar adjustment hole so there's no restriction. With the oiler wide open it looks like you just dipped the chain in a bucket of oil.

How did you mod your 310? I took the cat out of a 310 one time and it was night and day difference in performance.

James Miller

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you didn't figure out the muffler mod yet I'll pull the muff off mine tomorrow and take pics and explain how it's done. Very simple less then 10 minutes if the deflector screws play nice.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
That bar is for a 2300 poulan. I'm running 3/8lp on my 490 it feeds through the top bar adjustment hole so there's no restriction. With the oiler wide open it looks like you just dipped the chain in a bucket of oil.

How did you mod your 310? I took the cat out of a 310 one time and it was night and day difference in performance.
Thanks for the reply. I did a MM on the cs 310 as per video on YouTube. Mine didn't have a cat as far as I could tell. I drilled holes in a baffle plate. Then removed the caps and adjusted the carb. It sorta picked up some but not a lot as far as I could tell. I may have run it to rich. A friend bought it so later we may lean it out some and see what it'll do. Without a tac I was leery. Didn't want to burn it up. I sold it because it is so much slower than the Echo 490. The 490 is such a great little all round saw. It and the Sthil 029 get most use. The 590 Timberwolf is my big tree saw and sees little use. Thanks,