New home owner with a large oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrandedInMO

Reaction score
My wife and I recently purchased a house that has several large beautiful trees. One of these trees is a huge 150+ yr old oak. After a large rain storm this past weekend we noticed a couple of things that kind of have us concerned:
  1. While inspecting the tree we noticed a few areas around the base of the tree that seem to be suffering from decay/rot. Is there anything we can do to retard or stop the spread of the decay?
  2. Carpenter Ants - I know that there has been some discussion about them and it is felt that they are indicative of a larger problem. Is there anything that can be done about the ants? We have noticed that they seem to be rather established.
  3. We also found an area that seems to be weeping a rather pungent sweet/acrid liquid. (almost reminds me of alcohol that has been standing around for awhile) - What is this and should we be concerned?
I have attached several pictures.
Thank you in advance for your assistance. - Michael and Cherie

pocket rot/bacterial infections. Short answer, yes can be lethal if it advances. treatable. valuable tree, worth inve$tment in care by a pro. pm "TreeJunkie" on this site, he's in your area I think. As for the disease, see the thread 'Ooze in the News"

Thanks

Thanks for the info. and referral! Hopefully it can be treated, this is a grand old oak. Great site, I'm sure we'll get some good use of it as we have a lot of work ahead of us in our new place!

Latest posts

Back