New house, mind looking at the trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A decorative apple would be fine. Most don't get very big and they don't get apples to make a mess of the grass.

What is you soil like? Sandy, loam or clay? Does it sit wet or dry out pretty quickly after rain?

What are you looking for? Shade; spring flowers; fall color; unique form to the tree; etc...?

Seems like the soil drains quickly in that area, there is a slight downhill slope there which I am sure helps. Not sure on what kind of soil we've got there, been tackling a lot of projects around here lately and this tree needs to come down first!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Got about halfway through the mostly dead one in the front yard over a couple of hours today. Ive got an even greater respect for the hard work you guys do!

I can't remember if I posted, but the one with the hole near the base of the trunk seems solid. A screwdriver only goes in about an inch or two, all the branches have leaves and it's not dropping anything. I'll probably consider dropping it next year, but for now the only think I think HAS to be done is cutting a dead branch from it that's about 20' up.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Either way I will probably have to have a pro come out at that point, I think it might be a little too tight for me to handle bringing it down.

Either way I will probably have to have a pro come out at that point, I think it might be a little too tight for me to handle bringing it down.

If you're sure that you are going to have it taken down, consider tapping it to death before you do. You might as well get some syrup out of it before it dies.

It's a matter of what will do well in the SELP. If you have another suggestion for a good, beautiful, front yard tree that will do well there, offer it up. I used to live there. I've seen a lot of trees die there. A little too far north or a little too wet or a little too dry or whatever. Hybrid maples like the Crimson King and Autumn Blaze seem to take better and cause fewer problems to homeowners than most others and they look good doing it.
Honey locust, sweet gum, katsura, zelkova, swamp white oak, buckeye, any but a soft maple. Guys got enough of them.

Honestly I did not know you could tap silvers at all. Well I suppose you can tap an oak if you like but is it worth it?
There was a guy on here a while back tapping Black Walnut. Never did hear how he made out. Juglones man, juglones

You can tap silver maple...there is just a LOT more water to boil off.

Not particularly. Silvers and reds are sometimes even sweeter that sugars when the conditions are right, but usually it takes less than 50% additional sap to make the same amount of syrup. mapletrader.com is a great site for info on syrup making.

Honestly I did not know you could tap silvers at all. Well I suppose you can tap an oak if you like but is it worth it?
There was a guy on here a while back tapping Black Walnut. Never did hear how he made out. Juglones man, juglones

Tapping silvers and reds is definitely worth it. Yard trees in full sun typically have way more sugar in their sap than trees in the woods.

Honey locust, sweet gum, katsura, zelkova, swamp white oak, buckeye, any but a soft maple. Guys got enough of them.

Honey locust - better get the thornless and seedless hybrid. Those seed pods make a big mess.

Sweet gum - Saw a lot of those die in the SELP. Might be too cold there.

Katsura - never saw one in the SELP.

Zelkova - never saw one in the SELP. Is it susceptible to Dutch Elm Disease?

Swamp white oak - makes a mess when it starts dropping acorns. Major squirrel attractor.

Buckeye - Everybody in Michigan knows that buckeyes are useless nuts. It's a U of Michigan - Ohio State U thing.

Can you even buy honey locust that aren't thornless/seedless?

Agree sweet gum is probably not cold hardy enough. We saw them suffer in the winters of 13/14 and 14/15 in NW Ohio.

Katusra and Zelkova should do fine. There are some Zelkova around here suffering, so maybe they are not as cold hardy as advertised??? No DED problems on those.

Oak sounds like it is too big for the space.

Buckeye: Call it a horsechestnut. Plant a yellow buckeye and make jokes about that... Ohio buckeye is going to have problems with guignardia.

A few others I'd add...depending on soil:
The long list of scab resistant crabapple. Pick a size, shape, and flower color. If you like the purple leaves, this is probably the best bet.
Black gum
Serviceberry
Linden
Hornbeam
Persian ironwood
Whiteshield osage orange
Tree lilac
Frontier elm
Flowering or Pagoda dogwood
Saucer magnolia
etc... (and that doesn't even include a long list of the maples that are I'd choose long before any A. platanoides).

Thank you for the lists!

I was thinking of planting an oak on the other side of the front yard but I have yet to do any other research on it.

Back