New Insert Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnha

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well its more about the chimney than the insert. I put an insert in my 40 year old masonry fireplace Saturday night, dropped a SS liner down the chimney, about 22 feet in total the weekend before.

The chimney is 8x13 Terra Cotta liner with a minimum of 8" block on each side of the Terra Cotta. I had the chimney cleaned and inspected by a local certified tech a week before I relined. There is a screened cap on top that I put on the Terra Cotta a few years ago due to squirrels/birds.

Anyway, the liner fit in snug, with a helper pulling from the fireplace and me feeding from the top. It is connected to the insert using a female-male connector. It has been running non-stop since Saturday evening, burns well, with no drafting or smoke issues.

So now the question. The pipe is open at the top with no special cap aside from the chimney cap on the terra cotta. Is there any reason to seal this at the top, or bottom for that matter since I removed the damper flap to pull the liner through?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Treeco. That was about the only reason I could come up with too. Is regular old pink fiberglass (no backing) sufficient for this? At the top I think its fine but what about around the damper area, which is only a couple feet from the stove connection?

As an aside, I live in a split level, ~2600/SF. Between the old stove in the lower level and the new Quadra-Fire, the heat has not come on since last Saturday, and we've been down to 10 degrees F for the past several nights. My natural gas supplier will probably be sending out an investigator to see why my gas bill tanked. :rockn:

Back