New line and setting knots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safeT1st

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finding it difficult to set friction hitches in new Arbormaster 1/2" Bluestreak. Should I be washing it to remove factory sheen and would that help ? I don't have a front load washer. This is new to me and I really want to do things correctly with my gear as it's not cheap, (as you know) and deserves the best care.

People are going to jump all over me for saying this, so I'll have to put in a disclaimer that says I don't recommend anyone follow my lead.

I take some new good-quality 400 grit sandpaper, wrap it around the rope, and VERY gently slide the rope through. A very light touch is all it takes. You can do the whole length of the rope in about a minute. The sandpaper is so sharp it cuts a few of the surface fibers, maybe 2% or so, enough to raise a light fuzz. That's what you're after. The rope comes out looking and acting about the same as if you had used it in the tree for a week.

Advantage: the whole rope is uniformly treated, and has uniformly improved friction properties.
Disadvantage: a few sharp particles of sandpaper may end up embedded in the rope.

If you look at any well-used rope, it will have LOTS of broken surface fibers and it will contain a significant amount of dirt, some of which will consist of sharp particles. I think my method is less harmful than letting someone break in your rope for you by actually using it out in the field for a week.

I'm new to tree trimming by climbing, but have a little experience recreationally climbing. (hardwoods in the northeast)

I agree with TreeSpyder. I have, at times alternated between two and three wraps on the top part of a blake's hitch. I seem to always use two wraps on the lower part of the blake.

A Blake's hitch can also change properties based on how tight the knot is tied. I have had two top wrap blake's almost impossible to move because I dress the knot so tight that the wrapped portion curls up like a C. It is immovable when tied this way.

I find that the Blake needs a certain looseness / tension in it be able to effectively alternate from the bound-grab postion to the free-sliding position.

This seems to be true with prussik's too. two wraps (4 turns of rope) for lanyards and three wraps (6 turns of rope) for vertical loads.

are you using tautline hitch?

tautline are notorious for grabbing hard or not....

start with a blake's hitch instead. once you get that down, then try some of the other advance hitches. but not before getting basics down pat.

would not wash my rope, unless absolutely have to.

as always..... go low and slow on anything new!

Last edited:
Finding it difficult to set friction hitches in new Arbormaster 1/2" Bluestreak. Should I be washing it to remove factory sheen and would that help ? I don't have a front load washer. This is new to me and I really want to do things correctly with my gear as it's not cheap, (as you know) and deserves the best care.

Not too long ago got arbormaster 1/2". Had problem with blakes not behaving well at first. I just took it out in my back yard and dragged it around some, made a couple figure eights around trees, being careful not to run over something really bad, or to get gravel inside the weave or anything like that. Really it was just similar to the friction of normal use. It was really much better after that. It didn't really take that much to break it in.

know your stuff

You guys are great and speak as though you have my line in your hands. Yes TreeSpyder , experimenting with tautline but will now try Blakes with 3 top turns as Stone gulley and 046 suggested.Good you told me not to wash rope 046 as I spoke with a buddy at work today (caver) and he said the same thing, waxiness will repel water and reduce wear. Moray, I will hold off on your thought for now but its interesting to hear and really makes alot of sense. Mr. Gasman; I will take the splittail (also 1/2" Arbormaster) and give it a working on a reasonably smooth limb. All in all , I have learned not to mess with the line,simply adjust my methods and give it time to break in. I received my gear from WesSpur about 8 days ago and it hasn't left the house yet as I am scrutinizing every detail and familiarizing myself with its operation. When I first put a load on that line ( 235 Lbs with gear ) I want to feel comfortable to focus on the elements around me and not solely on what my line , hitches and saddle are doing . By the way , its 24 degrees celcius up here, my work week is over and I've got a cold one in my hand!

Back