• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell new mcculloch 125 cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

750hlt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a new mcculloch 125 cylinder that i was going to use on a rebuild i have picked up a few other project saws and dont plan on using this this cylinder would need the bolt wholes and the spark plug whole tapped and threaded same with the compretion release and if u wanted the bigger ball bearing on the clutch side then u wound need to machine that out aswell some pics bellow make an offer

What cylinder is that? Why does it not have those holes tapped? Are they drilled?

That looks like an SP-125 jug. Way back in the day, dealers could buy "unfinished" Mac cylinders direct from the factory to set them up in a different way than what came off the assembly line. A lot of dealers here would do all the finish machining themselves. Marriot's saw shop even bought cylinders without liners and then they would install liners with a different bore size for custom saws.

Very cool info. Thanks JJ. The exhaust port did look like what's on an SP05/125. I was confused by the unmachined bits however. Makes sense now. Wondering if that's an SP125 or SP125C cylinder (steel or chromed bore for those that don't know)...

JJ, How much we those guys charging for a cylinder that they
had to do all the machine work, liner install and cut the ports.
Don't seem hardly worth the effort since you could buy one all
done from Mac.

Lee

JJ, How much we those guys charging for a cylinder that they
had to do all the machine work, liner install and cut the ports.
Don't seem hardly worth the effort since you could buy one all
done from Mac.

Lee

I have no idea Lee, but I know it was mostly for custom configurations or something they wanted that was different from the stock engine. I know in my dad's case, Marriot's built him two engines that were .050" over using new cylinders that had oversize liners.

I can understand wanting the 50 over bore but you could
do that with a stock block with cast iron sleeve like in the
regular 125's. I have a 797 with a 70 over. Definatly has
a very different sound.

Lee

It dose have a steel insert around the clutch side bearing so im guessing it dose have the steel liner in it hard to tell the ports are not polished up nore is the piston bore

It dose have a steel insert around the clutch side bearing so im guessing it dose have the steel liner in it hard to tell the ports are not polished up nore is the piston bore

You can check it with a small magnet. If it sticks to the bore, the cylinder is steel. If not, it's chromed.

Back