New member:045AV and 041AV questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4G5

Reaction score
I am new here and this is my first post. This past weekend my dad gave me his 045AV and my grandpa's 041AV. Per my dad, both of these vintage saws are legends. I have used both of them with my dad since I was around 13 but I do not know much more about them. I would really like to restore the 045AV and re-gift it back to my dad (for sentimental reasons. He loves this saw but is getting older and cannot use it anymore). My question is this. What is the best way to go about this? Also, how big of a bar will the 041AV hold? It has a 20" bar on it now but would like a 30" on it. Is this possible? Thank you all in advance.

you plan on doing the work on the 45 yourself?
if so i would just figure out what parts and what not you need and scour the internet for them, couple sites here advertise used parts
if youre taking it in i think id look for a fully authorized stihl dealer/repair guy that is old enough to have dealt with these saws new, someone who has worked on them before
as for the 41, i dont think id run anything larger then a 24" bar myself, if you go 30" i think id run full skip chain

Back