New Member - First fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbow388

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
306C6992-38C1-4862-9097-7560EB14AEC0.jpeg

5DDAAD3A-F72D-4E25-88E3-D3AF7144F504.jpeg

824A6590-9985-4335-97FD-F59E51BF2569.jpeg

Whats up everyone? This is my first post!

If you can guess who my dad is by my log in. You win a prize of a beautiful NOTHING. All nice and shiny.

I'm new to this and the chainsaw above is my first project! I got 2 homelite super xl's and am working on making 1 running saw.

I got it all cleaned up and ready to work on. I had to rework the pull start. It gets spark (shocked my dad pretty good:hmm3grin2orange:) and seems to be getting some fuel on the plug. but will not fire. It seems to have good compression.

Any ideas or tips would be awesome. Some carb adjusting knowledge needed.

:popcorn:

Loke omg

306C6992-38C1-4862-9097-7560EB14AEC0.jpeg

5DDAAD3A-F72D-4E25-88E3-D3AF7144F504.jpeg

824A6590-9985-4335-97FD-F59E51BF2569.jpeg

If you can guess who my dad is by my log in. You win a prize of a beautiful NOTHING. All nice and shiny.

I'm new to this and the chainsaw above is my first project! I got 2 homelite super xl's and am working on making 1 running saw.

I got it all cleaned up and ready to work on. I had to rework the pull start. It gets spark (shocked my dad pretty good:hmm3grin2orange:) and seems to be getting some fuel on the plug. but will not fire. It seems to have good compression.

HE CLAIMS ME he claims me. Think I should rep him?

Was fun watching him working on his saw. We have some really cool projects to start on. Mainly the 1959 clinton D65.

If its getting fire & the plug is wet it's way rich to the point of flooding,, If the metering diaphragm is stiff its gonna flood real easy,,, gotta pull the carbs metering side cover use a razor blade/xacto knife to lift gasket and diaphragm together,,, if diaphragm has a crackle sound when you flex it,,, change it... Good luck !! and welcome,,

You can try re base lining the L&H settings first,,, gently run them in,,, then back out one full turn each,,, pull plug and blow it dry with compressed air,,, blow cylinder dry too,,,, put the plug back in and give it a whirl and see if plug is still getting wet,,, (try a new plug if you have it)

Last edited:
More Info on Saw

Well despite getting to much gas, i have another saw exactly like it.

You can tell that the carb was rebuilt before they took the muffler off and found out that the piston was scored!:frown:

I plan on switching the carbs out tomorrow to see if that will be a quick fix for me. If not I will take one of the carbs to my local shop, and get them to order me a carb kit. If that doesn't work then.......................:msp_confused::msp_confused: i have no clue

Make sure your flywheel key is not sheared, if the flywheel has moved it may be out of time. That is of course if the carb is not the problem.

Hoping to fix soon

Thanks you guys.

I hope the flywheel isn't the problem. I dont know what the name of them are, the little key things on the pull start with the springs they were broke and i replaced them!

I'm hoping it is just a carb problem! That would be a relief it fired up earlier for about 1 second then cut off..... I imagine its the carb, But I am a newbie at this soooo I could be wrong!

You can tell that the carb was rebuilt before they took the muffler off and found out that the piston was scored!:frown:

I plan on switching the carbs out tomorrow to see if that will be a quick fix for me. If not I will take one of the carbs to my local shop, and get them to order me a carb kit. If that doesn't work then.......................:msp_confused::msp_confused: i have no clue

Hello welcome to AS :hmm3grin2orange:

Be careful if you try using the carb of the saw with the scored piston !!! If it starts reset the carb asap !!!

l3lue :blob2:

Thanks you guys.

I hope the flywheel isn't the problem. I dont know what the name of them are, the little key things on the pull start with the springs they were broke and i replaced them!

I'm hoping it is just a carb problem! That would be a relief it fired up earlier for about 1 second then cut off..... I imagine its the carb, But I am a newbie at this soooo I could be wrong!

easy enough to check by just removing the flywheel nut amd making sure the grooves align,,, Im like you, since it did fire I doubt it is a timing issue,,, never hurts to be sure,,,

Dang Kids

He has already told me that we will be working on his saw this weekend.

Before long he will be telling me "let me show you how to fix that"

Carb issues

Well I tightened the carb screws until they started to get snug....... Turned each one a full turn out........... It flooded bad again.......... I may try pulling the carb from the other saw and swapping them out... the other one looks as it has been rebuilt :msp_confused::help:

Last edited:
carb issues almost FIXED

Well I messed with the carb a tad bit and pulled it started for about 5 seconds..... then it'll still do that just wont stay running

If you find out what carb you have and what rebuild kit you need before going to the OPE shop, you'll go a long way toward building your credibility with the folks over there.

There are plenty of online sources to find out what kits/parts you would need.

Good luck!

Well I messed with the carb a tad bit and pulled it started for about 5 seconds..... then it'll still do that just wont stay running

some times when a carb sits for a while the idle circuits will get crud in them from the gas sitting and breaking down,,, especially if it is ethanol blended fuel,,, Try backing the L&H needles all the way out Pay attention to which one goes where,,,, the L is usually physically longer than the H if so,,, pretty easy to keep them going back in the right holes,,,

get a can of spray carb cleaner with the nozzle on it (put some safety glasses on,,, gotta have PPE!!!) hold the carb out away from you and manipulate the carb and throttle plates open where you can see into the venturi,, place the bussiness end of the nozzle in each adjustment hole and spray them good the L circuit wont flow as much volume as the H will but you should have full streams,,, if the L looks weak and more cleaner is blowing back out around the nozzle then the ildle circuit my be plugged a bit,,

be careful not to get the cleaner in you eyes,,, don't ask me how I know,,, if its plugged bad enough I have removed the covers and rodded out the circuits with a very fine wire,,,

an utlra sonic cleaner is the best method,,, but I dont know how you guys are set up....

let is know what you find out,,, also if the saw has one,, make sure the intake boot and impulse hose is intact

keep diggin,,, you'll get it,,,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Alright warped I will all I know is that I have a homesite carb..

Does it say SDC on it anywhere? These saws used three different carbs over the the decades. The older saws had Tillotson HS carbs. There will be an HS part number (such as HSxxx) stamped on it. The HS carbs tak an RK-23HS rebuild kit. Available from any small engine parts source (local or online).

Walbro SDC carbs were used all the way through the 70s and into the 80s on these saws. Some will say "Walbro". Others will say "Homelite" (as Walbro stamped the Homelite and McCulloch's names on some of the carbs they sold to these manufacturers). These carbs will have "SDC" stamped or cast onto the pump cover. There usually will be an SDC part number stamped somewhere on the carb body too (like SDCxxx). These carbs take a K10-SDC kit. Again, available anywhere.

Zama C2 carbs were used on a few of these saws towards the end of the production run. They will have "Zama" cast into the pump cover, and a C2xxx part number stamped somewhere. If you have one of these Zama carbs, take the carb with you to the local shop and ask for a rebild kit for it. They'll be able to look it up with the carb number.

Sounds to me like you have crap in the carb and/or it needs new diaphragms. Junk/grit can keep the metering needle from sealing against the seat in the carb body too. You need to take whatever carb you're going to run apart, clean it out with carb spray, and put it back together with a new kit. Set the needles at 1 turn out from LIGHTLY seated. You'll waste more time monkeying around with adjustments and swapping carbs back and forth if you try doing it the "quick" way. Rebuilding the carb is a valuable learning experience.

Walbro and Tillotson both have good general and model specific service literature available on their websites. Download the applicable stuff, print it out, and read up. It'll make things much easier for you. Welcome aboard!

Service Manuals
http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/ServiceManual.pdf
http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/ServiceManuals/SDCSeries.pdf

Tillotson
http://www.tillotson.ie/docs/techinfo_HS_US.pdf
http://www.tillotson.ie/docs/HSPartsList.pdf
http://www.tillotson.ie/docs/service_information_guide.pdf

Welcome to the board. I wish my dad was still around to share my cad. Good luck with the saw. Hopefully just a carb kit gets you going.

Latest posts

Back