New member here.....need a little help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep South

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys from South Louisiana! Seems like Stihl is king around here so I hope it's ok to post this LOL. I've owned a Husky 345 for about 10 years now and it's never let me down. Only used around my place occasionally. Last week I was driving down the road and saw an unmistakable orange case laying in the ditch so I had to turn around and check it out. Opened it up and whaddya know! A Husky 455 rancher! I felt bad taking it but at the same time I'm sure someone else would have picked it up if I didn't...Finally got around to checking it out today and found a fuel tube dry rotted and the chain brake was missing a little E-clip on the cam and won't work right. I swapped out the fuel return line from the bubble back to the tank and gassed it up. Also temporarily removed the brake for testing purposes while I tried to get it running. It fired on the first pull but would not do anything after turning the choke off. Finally figured out that the only way it will crank is with the throttle held at least half way. It will not idle. I adjusted the idle screw all the way in and nothing. I can keep it running by holding the throttle about 1/4 of the way. It runs up good and seems to have plenty of power. I don't know a ton about small engines but I'd like to learn with you guys help. Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

Hey guys from South Louisiana! Seems like Stihl is king around here so I hope it's ok to post this LOL. I've owned a Husky 345 for about 10 years now and it's never let me down. Only used around my place occasionally. Last week I was driving down the road and saw an unmistakable orange case laying in the ditch so I had to turn around and check it out. Opened it up and whaddya know! A Husky 455 rancher! I felt bad taking it but at the same time I'm sure someone else would have picked it up if I didn't...Finally got around to checking it out today and found a fuel tube dry rotted and the chain brake was missing a little E-clip on the cam and won't work right. I swapped out the fuel return line from the bubble back to the tank and gassed it up. Also temporarily removed the brake for testing purposes while I tried to get it running. It fired on the first pull but would not do anything after turning the choke off. Finally figured out that the only way it will crank is with the throttle held at least half way. It will not idle. I adjusted the idle screw all the way in and nothing. I can keep it running by holding the throttle about 1/4 of the way. It runs up good and seems to have plenty of power. I don't know a ton about small engines but I'd like to learn with you guys help. Any help would be appreciated Thanks!
Sure sounds like you picked up a saw with a leaky crankcase. Bad seal or something along that line..

Thanks beetlejuice. Pull rope seems to have a good bit of resistance while pulling. Should I check compression? My father in law has a gauge...

Turn that boy onto his back. See those four big screws. Move the gas tank aside a little this way or that and tighten those. Tell me if any were loose
Good advice!

Pull the air filter and see if it runs properly

Have you played around with the L screw for the carb? Turn it all the way in, careful, go slow, when you feel resistance you want to stop and not reef on it. After that back it out only one complete turn.
Sadly I can’t remember the default turns for the idle screw but see if it starts and idles properly after this.

Update. I check the 4 screws that hold the cylinder and they were tight. Compression check - 157 psi I think that that’s good.

With that said , I think I kind of jumped the gun and overthought this a little bit. I adjusted the carb and idle screw back to where they were supposed to be and she fired up and ran like a top! I’m ecstatic!!! Thanks for the suggestion last and help.

321d45123009f58833e5a5c623937d77.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing that needs repair is the chain brake which is not a showstopper so I think I’m ok for now. Appreciate the help guys

It just so happens I was driving through SW LA last week and lost a 455 off my suv. Thanks for finding and holding it for me. :)

Good of you to post it on a public forum. Maybe the owner will pm you if they happen to be a member here and read this.

LOL! Tell me what it looks like and it’s yours! Yeah I’d be glad to return it to it’s rightful owner but not sure how I could do it? I could maybe post a sign at the local store and just put something generic like “chainsaw found” and see what happens.

LOL! Tell me what it looks like and it’s yours! Yeah I’d be glad to return it to it’s rightful owner but not sure how I could do it? I could maybe post a sign at the local store and just put something generic like “chainsaw found” and see what happens.

Make the attempt. Someone may need that saw far more than you. It’s the right thing to do, as far as I’m concerned. If no one responds, enjoy your new saw.

40 years ago I was sheet metal apprentice and we were leaving the job site. There was a stake bed truck leaving site in front of us. One of the stake rails in the back was not put in and an orange case scooted off the end of the truck and bounced in front of us. We got out and it was a new Stihl saw....we called the company when we got back to the shop (no cell phones back then..lol) and asked the guy if he was missing a saw...no he says it's in the back of my truck....he goes out and comes back and says" damn it's gone....we said we have it come get it. That was a great learning lesson for a 23 year old kid starting out in life....try and find the owner it will make you feel great when you do;)

I’m going to go ahead and post a sign at the local corner store. It gets a ton of traffic so I’ll give it a week and see what happens. I’m sure someone is missing their saw.
Can you guys help me with decoding the serial number? Just trying To see how old the saw is. Thanks
3835c7b33df7071ecde99a67f2653ade.heic

I’m going to go ahead and post a sign at the local corner store. It gets a ton of traffic so I’ll give it a week and see what happens. I’m sure someone is missing their saw.
Can you guys help me with decoding the serial number? Just trying To see how old the saw is. Thanks
3835c7b33df7071ecde99a67f2653ade.heic

I feel better already.

Me too beetle juice. I’m glad I came to this site.
Looks like the saw was manufactured in Feb 2008 if I’m reading it correctly

I spent couple years in southern Florida
And about a yr in Tallahassee, There is so much truth in the phrase, "southern hospitality"

Latest posts

Back