New member with a C72

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redkneck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, looks like a great site you have here! I was digging around the other day in my father-in-laws barn (he's been gone for 8 years) and came across his old c72. It hasnt run in 25 years. I picked it up and took it back home since my brother in law has already made off with 2 P42s from the barn to "trade them in for a good saw"...... please... :censored:

Anyway, I took have taken the tank cover off, cleaned it out, rebuilt the carb last night, it fires up decent and even idles ok. Big THANK YOU to GASoline71 for the post I found on here about rebuilding tillotson carbs!!!

What sealant do I need to put on the tank cover? Where's the best place to get a bar and chain for the saw?

Thank you guys in advance, I had joined another homelite site with nice folks, but it was soooo slooooooooow.

John

My treatment for the old 2-piece cast metal tanks that leak ( sometimes it is the joint sealant that deteriorates or corrosion from water or rotten fuel that eats on through the bottom ) is to separate the pieces ( air pressure works fine ), clean the inside, patch any holes or rotten places with J-B Weld (not J-B Kwik, since it is not fuel or oil proof), surface grind the mating surfaces down to clean metal, and reassemble with J-B Weld as a permanent sealant. This treatment takes some time, but it has never failed to fix the leak.

welcome, the c series saws are some of my favorites. there is a product called SealAll and u can get it at most autopart stores. it is a contact adhesive and sealant. also oil and gas resistant. yellow tube with red writing. it should do the trick. good luck
jnl

Where's the best place to get a bar and chain for the saw?

Thank you guys in advance, I had joined another homelite site with nice folks, but it was soooo slooooooooow.

John

Go find a Stihl Large mount bar around 22-24 inches. A .404 chain works well if thats all you can find. I posted recently a way to blend the Stihl bar to the Homelite. Don't go the hard nose route. Sprocket nose bars work way better with those 80cc saws.

Bump the following thread if other c fans are out there
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=139887

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies! This is still a work in progress and I'll post more questions as I get farther along.

GREAT SITE!!!! :chainsaw:

Ahlborn equipment has some solid nose carlton bars for the old Homelite C-series. I have a 18, 21, 25, 30, and a 36. They were 25$ per bar when I bought mine no matter what size ya got. .063. But they're a tad on the heavy side. Welcome to the site and good luck on the saw. You'll be looking for every c-series you can get your hands on. My C-91 is in a glass case in my man cave!

A product called yamabond or hondabond 4 is what I use on the tanks found at any motorcycle dealer. Large mount Husky bars fit right on if you make a modified guide plate to line up the oil holes, although they dont quite have the right look(too small)
soccerhalloweenscouts043.jpg

Back