new member with a question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschroeder

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings all, finally stopped lurking and joined :rock:

My current saws are a new redmax gz380 16" have about a gallon thru it and love it so far, also have an old homelite xl plastic case 12" bar.

My question is what is a good top handle "pruning/limb-ing" saw that isn't horribly expensive? I don't do a whole lot of cutting, mostly trimming around the neighbor hood, (I'm on the HOA board and volunteer to keep trees in the park and other areas trimmed up) and cutting for my fire pit in the backyard. the Homelite runs good, just not sure how long she'll live and would like to have something in mind to go pickup when it dies. would like to be in the 12-14" bar range. Menards has the Hitachi top handle saw on sale for $149 but after reading all the mixed reviews i'm not too sure on it.

Do you want the top handle saw for its light weight or will you be elevated off the ground somehow?

Have you considered a pole saw?

was going for a top handle for it being more compact and lighter, just will be trimming lower branches from the ground so no real need for a pole saw. Hoping the old HL doesn't die anytime soon, i bought it used...threw a new bar and chain on it and am pretty happy with it for what I do.

I know the rear handles are a little less expensive, have a RedMax GZ380 already so was looking towards top handle. They're both occasional use which is why I initially looked at the Hitachi but not too sure on it anymore after reading some reviews.

Any particular echo model you'd recommend looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Most arboristsite members say that if you're post count is low you shouldn't have a top handle saw. I don't agree with that mentality, and would recommend a stihl MS 192 TC to anyone.

I'm not following as to the link between low count and top handle saws...could be I haven't had enough coffee and missed the point :)

There are more ways to get in real trouble with a top-handle: less control and temptation to one-handing top the list. Close encounters with saw-chain can be horrific.

Take a look at VMInnovations dot com specifically for 435 Husqy. IMHO much better buy than comparable Stihl. Prices quoted are f.o.b. your door, typically for factory refurbs.

Funny you should mention VM...they're in the sane city as me and I bought a pair of husqvarna hedge trimmers from them.

What can you tell me in general on mfg refurbished equip? I've always purchased new before but not opposed to it.

I understand what you mean on less control, my homelite XL is more "twitchy" than the redmax. I've toyed with the idea of an old mcCulloch 120 mini mac (I think they're cool looking saws) but Leary of the handles being literally next to each other.

I had a Husqvarna 335 xp but had some problems with it and gave it to a friend. right now I have an echo 360t which is light enough and cheap enough. definitely not a stihl but for the price and amount of use it gets, it does the job. most people that own these will open up the muffler and get much better performance though I havent done that yet. the older poulan 25D are pretty easy to come by and cheap also but not as easy to fix. sometimes you can find a good deal on a stihl 192. Stihl has a new model out the 150 I think and it is about 25cc's but with a very small chain and bar so it kinda cuts like their pole saws which cut real well. I think they are around $300 or so. but I think you could get an echo for less than a $100 on ebay

I know the rear handles are a little less expensive, have a RedMax GZ380 already so was looking towards top handle. They're both occasional use which is why I initially looked at the Hitachi but not too sure on it anymore after reading some reviews.

Any particular echo model you'd recommend looking at?

I believe the Hitachi is a rebadged Tanaka. My dealer carries Tanaka trimmers, etc. (I have one), but says the saws are nowhere near the same quality. I'll take his word and stay away from em.

You're gonna get a lot of the "safety cops" warning you off the top handles. Take it as you'd like, but if used with care, they're not the maneaters many make them out to be. Used wrong, they certainly can be.

Echo 330T is what I'd be looking at in a new saw if I were you. If used (and maybe a little elbow grease to get it in top shape), the above mentioned little Poulan Super 25/S25DA/S25CVA are handy little saws usually available pretty cheap, and easy to work on.

I believe the Hitachi is a rebadged Tanaka. My dealer carries Tanaka trimmers, etc. (I have one), but says the saws are nowhere near the same quality. I'll take his word and stay away from em.

You're gonna get a lot of the "safety cops" warning you off the top handles. Take it as you'd like, but if used with care, they're not the maneaters many make them out to be. Used wrong, they certainly can be.

Echo 330T is what I'd be looking at in a new saw if I were you. If used (and maybe a little elbow grease to get it in top shape), the above mentioned little Poulan Super 25/S25DA/S25CVA are handy little saws usually available pretty cheap, and easy to work on.

Tanaka trimmers are great, the saws suck. Why this is I don't know but it is. I have seen several taken apart, near new, junk, real poorly made. I have not run one myself, but just seeing how they are built, nope, crap. Local shop started to carry them and every other one they sold was coming back in pretty bad shape.

For the loot, new poulans are proly the best deal on cheap saws.

IMO, not a shop or a pro, but work on junkers, I'd stay away from new cheap homelites and tanakas for sure. Can't say on small echoes,ryobi or redmax, don't have any. Cheap huskies are OK.

Top handle saws are riskier because they are more difficult to control, but earn their keep in climbing situations. I don't see the point of taking on any more risk of injury than absolutely necessary.

90% of my cutting is with top handle saws including my S-08 S with a 25" bar running .404 chain. I just like the ergonomics / feel of them. I don't feel near as tired at the end of the day versus rear handle.

I have a Jonsered CS2139T I love! However, the Husqvarna 435T mentioned is a very good saw for a little over $300.

I have 2 Mini Mac 6's. When they are running they do the job - 30 cc. However, if you have to work on them, it is a real pain tearing them apart. Another point is the oilier is manually operated meaning every 3-4 seconds you have to push the oiler button to keep the chain lubed. I would not recommend them as a replacement saw.

Poulan 25 Micro Vibe: Uses a reed valve carburetor, not the easiest to adjust, you have to remove the cover, make your adjustment the screw the cover back on test it then remove the cover make you next adjustment, .... I have one & when it starts it works great.

Latest posts

Back