New Saw, New Member

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorsesandEngines

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings to all,
This is my first post. I have been looking around for awhile and learning a lot. Tons of information here, I really enjoy it!

I have a question regarding my new saw.
My family spoiled me with a MS461R for Christmas (I think it’s a subtle clue to keep the stove going lol). It’s my first personal saw and I’m very proud of it. I’ve run 5 or so tanks of gas so far and it makes me smile for sure.
I work on equipment and vehicles for friends/family and acquaintances and was an Engine Machinist at a different time in my life, so I love anything that runs on fuel and always have an eye on performance.
That brings me to my question:
The carb limiters were removed for safe keeping, and the muffler was in need of help.
The attached picture shows what I did, a piece of 5/8 I.D. Pipe brazed on the muffler cover.
Still in the rough, needs a paint job.
It doesn’t protrude far, maybe 3/4”. Opened the stock opening just a bit as well.
Woke it up nice and sounds more like it should.
I am just wondering with it being open like that if I should be concerned with dust and chips getting in over time?
I see lots of similar looking mods in pictures, but thought I would ask some people with much greater experience than myself.
I searched around to see if this has already been covered and I’ll apologize ahead of time if it has.
I overthink things often and nice to have an opinion from those that know lol

Thank you in advance for your time.

Attachments

• 6FE7A88E-FBCE-40FF-ACC1-D17B00C538E7.jpeg
    6FE7A88E-FBCE-40FF-ACC1-D17B00C538E7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Great first saw. Congrats.
Mine gets better with every mod it seems.

I went with a aftermarket exhaust, looks like you deleted the spark arrestor. Maybe beware of mud daubers if they are prevalent in your area?

The only sawdust I worry about is the “fines” that could get past the air filter. Keep the pleated filter clean. I always put the saw on “choke” when I pull the filter off to clean for extra insurance.

Happy cutting-

Great first saw. Congrats.
Mine gets better with every mod it seems.

I went with a aftermarket exhaust, looks like you deleted the spark arrestor. Maybe beware of mud daubers if they are prevalent in your area?

The only sawdust I worry about is the “fines” that could get past the air filter. Keep the pleated filter clean. I always put the saw on “choke” when I pull the filter off to clean for extra insurance.

Happy cutting-
Thank you for the tip about the choke.
I have since changed it up a bit, added a deflector and stainless screen on my extra outlet and put screen back in stock outlet.
We do have Mud Daubers…… they can cause problems can’t they haha
I enjoy every chance I get to use it!

Thanks,
Take care

Attachments

• 1D370EA1-3599-419F-B70F-9D3870E16C82.jpeg
    1D370EA1-3599-419F-B70F-9D3870E16C82.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sweet saw! I haven’t seen a new 461 on the shelf in a while.
I was surprised as well. It had been sitting around, March/2021 production.
When I was dreaming of potential new saws, the Ms461 caught my eye since it was still a simple Carburetor and of the older design but I never noticed any in my travels.
I’m very happy to have it!

Take care

Latest posts

Back