New member with chain questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello! I've learned a lot here just lurking, and thought it was time to register. Thanks to all who've already taught me a lot just through their sharing!

I recently moved to a homestead where cutting firewood will be a necessity. I'm an old farm boy, very used to operating chainsaws, but what's available today is very different than I remember!

I have 2 saws - an old Echo CS3000 that I've had forever for pruning work, and a new 20" Shindaiwa 488 for the heavy stuff. (The choice was made from the great user reviews here, plus the fact that I did a lot of non-machinery business with Shindaiwa USA some years back. I've been in the shop at their headquarters, where their technical people showed me the insides of their saws versus the competition - impressive, I must say.)

Anyhow, I've got this new saw and now need to buy some chain. My choice in chain will be Oregon, because 1) I support local companies, and 2) I have relatives that work there.

I'm looking for a chain that is easy to sharpen by hand (using the Oregon saw filing guide) and, of course, fast cutting. I'm bewildered by all of the choices that Oregon has, so can someone give me some good advice for my needs?

Thanks!

-=[ Grant ]=-

91 vs for the little echo
20 lp for the 488
You will not find that great of a variety on what people normally stock

20 lp for the 488

Thanks - but don't be limited by what most people stock; since I have relatives that work there I can get anything they make.

-=[ Grant ]=-

20 lp for the 488

I am pretty sure that the 20" bar with 20LP is a bit much for the 488 - well the 20" bar surely is, anyway......:monkey:

16" with 95VP sounds much better.

Edit; - 20LP should work well also, on a 16" bar.

Last edited:
How important is low-kickback chain? Does it make a big difference in safety?

-=[ Grant ]=-

I am pretty sure that the 20" bar with 20LP is a bit much for the 488 - well the 20" bar surely is, anyway......:monkey:

16" with 95VP sounds much better.

Edit; - 20LP should work well also, on a 16" bar.

Right. It's on the long side. We've sold maybe one in that setup (20"/20LP). It hasn't come back yet, must be it doesn't do too bad.
We normally sell them with 18" bars .325.

Not at all, if you know what you are doing......:)

Hmmm...I don't know if that describes me or not! I'm always very careful about not letting the nose touch anything, I don't let the bar get bound in a cut (at least, not usually), that sort of thing.

I know what causes kickback, and I try my best to avoid situations that cause it, but I'm not sure that means that I know what I'm doing!

I suspect this translates to "stick with low-kickback chain..." Which style would you suggest?

-=[ Grant ]=-

I'm always very careful about not letting the nose touch anything
-=[ Grant ]=-

Good advice to use when going to a strip club too..................

The 488 does ok with a 20 inch, but it has been a while, it might have had the 33 chain on it.

Here's my Oregon chain question. My Makita 6401 came with 2 new loops of 72V, Vanguard, Full chisel with the crazy folded over raker. Oregon claims this stuff is as fast as LGX? Rakers look impossible to file. Any thought on this stuff? Planning to get some LGX and keep these as back up. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back