New member with Echo questions (cs290 & 310)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickB

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. My name is Nick. My first experience with a chainsaw was an electric Homelite saw from Home Depot. It was an absolute piece of junk. The chain kept getting loose and falling off every 30 seconds or so during cutting.

My next saw was a Poulan woodshark that I got on clearance from a grocery store for $50. It also had problems starting and staying running. I finally gave up on it and turned it into the local solid waste authority for recycling.

My current saw is an Echo cs-290evl (1981 model I believe). I bought this saw on ebay and it is in nearly new ( or restored) condition and runs fine.

A few days ago I found another saw on ebay I couldn't pass up. It was a new Echo cs-310 for $89 and $20 shipping. That saw is on the way.

So here's my questions:
Do I sell the 290 or keep it because it's a vintage saw in great shape ? If I sold it , how much should I ask?

I've been reading up on muffler mods and removing the carb limiters. Should I do this on the 310? Will I see any improvement if I simply remove the spark screen and deflector? Will I need to remove the limiters to avoid burning up the engine?

I should also mention I am a big fan of Echo products. I have a srm-225, hc-150, es-250, and cs-290evl
Thanks in advance for your replies.

I had a 290evl, loved it, muff modded, 14in bar, semi chisel not safety. Sold it for $80 but thats cuz i got for free. Sold it on craigslist, not to echo fans on here.

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Welcome.

If you want the extra cash then sell it. Otherwise it never hurts to have a spare saw. And if you get into chainsaw collecting (which many new folks don't think will happen to them, but does) you will be happy you kept your first saw.

I would not alter the new echo until after the warranty expires. Altering the muffler and removing the limit caps will void it. they can be set too lean from the factory...watch out. I don't think you 290 would bring much...I would just keep it. I'm not sure why you are buying a saw 3 cc bigger than your old one. You should be buying one in the 40-50 cc range so you can run a 16" bar. I'm an echo fan....but they don't get much respect here, but that's ok.

Well, I wanted something more modern that parts were readily available for . Also the 290 doesn't have a chain brake.

You may want to consider the 400. There are some good threads here that guys have muffler modded that saw and retuned the carb to make that little saw (40cc) run very well.

Welcome.

I've got a 290 we bought new about 1983. Still use it now and then, nice little saw. If it was me I wouldn't sell it unless you really need the cash. It's a good little saw. I like it when I've got a bunch of limbs and small stuff. Never run a 310 so can't offer any comparison. I did add a CS-346 along with a few 50-60 cc saws. All get run.

Don't worry about the warranty , the limiter caps have to be pulled and tuned right, many come burn up lean. You don't have to muff modd but you get about a 30% increase in cutting speed, drill out the cat and open up the deflector and opening some. Chances are 99% you wont need the warranty when tuned right and without tuning chances are real you would need it. Steve

Latest posts

Back