New member with OWB issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taco pumps can be rebuilt easily with a kit. I have a complete spare unit with wire connected for quick change if needed. I was glad I had a spare when I needed it.

My first pump lasted 1 1/2 years. My second pump is on year 6. I have the first one rebuilt and waiting until needed.

fixed.jpg

Done! At least for now! Thank you gentleman for all the help! I was pleasantly surprised with all the responses and help i found here, you guys are life savers. The house is heating beautifully and the wifey is happy happy happy! I am going to order another pump just for the sake of having a spare and in the spring when i shut the boiler down and drain it i will be putting ball valves at each connection point in the basement and ill put in a bleeder to help get the air out, but hopefully this will do for this year. Thank you again!

View attachment 466270

Done! At least for now! Thank you gentleman for all the help! I was pleasantly surprised with all the responses and help i found here, you guys are life savers. The house is heating beautifully and the wifey is happy happy happy! I am going to order another pump just for the sake of having a spare and in the spring when i shut the boiler down and drain it i will be putting ball valves at each connection point in the basement and ill put in a bleeder to help get the air out, but hopefully this will do for this year. Thank you again!
Good deal, glad to hear everything is working as it should. As long as the wife is happy, you accomplished the mission...mark this project off in the 'win' column. Yes, come spring get it like you want it as far as additional ball valves, etc. Did you happen to check the strainer/trap near the heat exchanger?

Good deal, glad to hear everything is working as it should. As long as the wife is happy, you accomplished the mission...mark this project off in the 'win' column. Yes, come spring get it like you want it as far as additional ball valves, etc. Did you happen to check the strainer/trap near the heat exchanger?

I didn't check the strainer because it has no shut off near it, so I would end up draining quite a bit of water to check it.

And what is CAD? Haha

I didn't check the strainer because it has no shut off near it, so I would end up draining quite a bit of water to check it.

And what is CAD? Haha
CAD is a Disease/Disorder...and can be a costly one to have. Many here struggle, fighting it is generally futile and 99% of all who attempt to get cured from it, only end up in relapse, lol. Think about it...what would the capital C and capital A stand for, considering the site you are now part of? :surprised3: :rock:

CAD is a Disease...and can be a costly disease to have. Many here struggle, fighting it is generally futile and 99% of all who attempt to get cured from it, only end up in relapse, lol. Think about it...what would the capital C and capital A stand for, considering the site you are now part of? :surprised3: :rock:

Chronic arborist disease? Haha

Chronic arborist disease? Haha
Pretty close. Chainsaw Aquisition Disorder is one...there's a couple of spins/variations of it, but you get the gist.

Get your checkbook ready...even if a second, part-time job is required. :D

when I built my owb I had same problem,thought pump was bad,tried another new pump same problem ,heat for a while then quite heating,come to find out it was air in lines,to solove this I installed a ball valve and got a hose off washing machine and hooked garden hose to ball valve turned on water and ran water through system and pushed all the air out,been 4 yrs I think, and have had no more problems,I see in your picture you have a water valve get you a hose for washing machine and hook water hose to valve,turn on water,open valve and push the air out after you change position of pump.

Is that insulation board in the back of your boiler? If it is does it help substantially with heat loss? The reason I ask is because that back section where my pump and aquastats are seems to be lacking in the insulation department. I thought about putting some insulation board on the back of the door to minimize heat loss.

Mine is a little newer based on your pic but my door has insulation inside it, .
On my own I put a piece on the bottom removable toe kick, not sure your is removeable, I wouldn't go crazy with it though I think it's for a reason I have noticed it gets a lot hotter in there and sometime my aqua stat will kick out easier. Only talking a time or two in a few yrs.

My Heatmor 200 (2006 model) doesn't have much in the door or back for insulation. I added foil bubble insulation on the door and around the inside.

It sounded like you drain the boiler every spring, sitting empty would be hard on it and it's expensive to treat new water as to just doing maintenance on your old water.

It sounded like you drain the boiler every spring, sitting empty would be hard on it and it's expensive to treat new water as to just doing maintenance on your old water.

No I just meant this coming spring I plan to drain it so I can add shut off valves and a bleeder to the lines.

Hey guys,
Just purchased a house with a Heatmor outdoor furnace installed. Got the water filled, pumps circulating and two of the zone pumps are running hot enough that you can’t hold your hand on the motors. Would this mean that the empellors are dragging a little or is this normal? The third pump runs significantly cooler.
Sorry, I am Very new to this sort of thing so pardon my ignorance.
Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,
Just purchased a house with a Heatmor outdoor furnace installed. Got the water filled, pumps circulating and two of the zone pumps are running hot enough that you can’t hold your hand on the motors. Would this mean that the empellors are dragging a little or is this normal? The third pump runs significantly cooler.
Sorry, I am Very new to this sort of thing so pardon my ignorance.
Thanks in advance.
The motors get really hot. I haven't checked when the water wasnt heated though... I cant hold my hand on them when the water is heated but that's not saying much because the water going through them can be as high as 180F.

Back