New mill blues...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJR

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello all. I plan on buying a band mill next month at the Syracuse Farm show. The main purpose of the mill is to cut softwood for a small hunting camp.I do have some very nice cherry and hard maple on my farm. I have no intentions of going into milling for money. A 28" tree is large on my property. Has anyone used a Norwood Lumberlite or a Hudson 28 mill? I know these are small/weak mills but should work for what I want. What do you think?

Hello all. I plan on buying a band mill next month at the Syracuse Farm show. The main purpose of the mill is to cut softwood for a small hunting camp.I do have some very nice cherry and hard maple on my farm. I have no intentions of going into milling for money. A 28" tree is large on my property. Has anyone used a Norwood Lumberlite or a Hudson 28 mill? I know these are small/weak mills but should work for what I want. What do you think?

Welcome to the forum.

We've got a member or two that will probably be along soon that can comment with first hand experience on the Norwood. In the mean time, click on the search button at the top of the screen and key in "norwood" or "lumbermate". You should get a few threads worth looking at.

mill

I have a Baker 18M that has ran three years with little problems. The one problem I had was the modified muffler kept vibrating off the Honda engine, the warranty was out (two Years) but Baker sold me a new set up for half price that won't shake loose.

MJR

I have heard of issues with the Hudson mills. I'm not saying there aren't any satisified owners, but I think I've heard enough complaints that I'd think long and hard before investing in one.

You might also want to do a search on posts by "Sawyer Rob" on this site. He's a very satisified repeat customer of the Norwood line of products, and he's not alone. I like to try provoking him about his little weak sheetmetal mill at times, but they really are a well made manual mill. I'm sure he'll be along soon with a few comments. Norwood also has an owners forum that has quite a bit of activity. There are even a few used mill on there from time to time.

I'd also look at the Cooks mills, there well made and really nice to deal with.

Good luck with your search

new mill blues

I have a hudson mill oscar 28, it is an OK mill for what I use it for . it has it pros(purchas price) and cons . Over all I think it a on OK mill have cut alot of b/f of hemlock . pushing the mill to it's capasity. one thing I would suggest getting the biggest motor availble. I made a frame up and put on wheels totally mobile now .

You might also want to do a search on posts by "Sawyer Rob" on this site. He's a very satisified repeat customer of the Norwood line of products, and he's not alone. I like to try provoking him about his little weak sheetmetal mill at times,

Do you really think the bunks are sheet metal? Or are you just kidding me??? Cuzz, on the LM2000 the bunks are made from square tubeing...

To the origional poster:

Any-hoo, i know i've said this before on here but here i go again. I've sawn on the small Hudson, the Woodmizer 10 and the Lumberlite 24 all the same day... (along with some others) and there's no question i'd buy the LL24 over the others... I too have read of too many problems with the Hudsons even though i'm sure they have some safisfied customers...

LL owners love there sawmills, and saw some huge logs on them, so you should be very happy with one... Owners have posted lots of pictures of LL's in action on the Norwood forums. I do believe for a steady diet of "big logs" the LM2000 is the mill to buy though..

Keep in mind, the optional Honda motors on the LL will easily outlast the std. motor on that mill. It will also use less gas doing it, and start easier when it get "old" too. Personally, i'd pay the extra and get the Honda option.

Rob

Hey I'm satisfied with the LM 2000 as well and it's a great mill for part time but if you need to go full time you need to spend $30,000+ and get Hydraulics. I'm not saying the LM 2000 doesn’t saw fast but you need to load them logs faster and get them off if you go full time. If I had to do it over again I think I would still get the LM 2000.
tulipwood_10_18_06_s.jpg

Thank you.

I am diffently leaning toward the Lumberlite. I plan on making a trailer for it out of box steel. There are some very good mills out there but the shipping is too expensive. I agree with everyone who stated "there is no replacement for displacement." The Honda up-grade is a non brainer. I will send pictures in next summer when the cabin is done. Thank you everone.

... started out with the Alaskan chainsaw mill and then used a tarp ...

JWO thats really a nice set-up, I'm still in the blue tarp stage. I cut 4x4's and 6x6's for my posts and plan on having them treated this month, they've been air drying about 2 months now. Thanks for the pictures.

When you get ready for your tin you may want to call your local scrap yard. Got this tin for about $55.00 and the shed is about 30 feet.

Latest posts

Back