New MS 180 ran good for 5 minutes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told by the dealer (not sure on this one) that adjusting the oiler is a little more than adjusting a screw. That true or not?

Shouldn't be any more than turning a screw on the pro model saws. Different story on the other models. :cheers:

Not long ago I run across somewhat of the same problem. Sold this guy a new MS 180C. Serviced it and run good on the bench. 2 days later it brought it in and said after a few minutes it would bogg out. I thought it must be something in the fuel system. Cleaned it all out ( did not see nothing ) and put it back together. Went out and made a couple of test cuts. After 4-6 cuts it started bogging again. Idle ok, but bogged with the throttle. Wound up taking Carb back off and checking impulse. Sure enough, the hole in the cylinder for impulse was NOT drilled all the way through. Give the customer another MS 180C and he has not had any other problem. Talked with Stihl and was told to finish punching the hole out. After that and reassemble it runs fine. Sold it to a friend and he has no issuses at all with it.

Same results with or without the bar. Revs up and then dies. It's oiling fine. If this video bogs down the load speed of the page let me know and I'll try something different. Here's a video:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i207.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid207.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/GratefulPicsVids/f46b3ac6.flv"></embed>

View attachment 62705

Last edited:
Red, will be on here with the exact answer to your question. He held a Sthil once. His valuable knowledge will be here shortly, just hold on for a second........................

Take it back! Factory failure is rare, but it can happen! Definitely not getting enough fuel.

To posssibly save yourself a trip - check the stupid stuff -that the fuel filter isn't twisted up in the air beside the fuel cap and the fuel line is on the carb correctly. Saws are tested in the factory without gas in the tank - so if they don't work when unpacked, it can be as simple as that. Also, your tank vent - loosen the tank cap when it dies out and see if it runs.

Last edited:
Take it back! Factory failure is rare, but it can happen! Definitely not getting enough fuel.

Agreed

It may be something simple like a piece of crap in the fuel line.

One of the reasons you bought a Stihl was because you get dealer support. Take it back and let the dealer support you ;) . If its simple and he can fix it while you go and eat lunch, then great. If it's really dumped it's cookies THEN you should ask for a new one.

But it sounds like a simple 'not enough gas to the carby' problem.

Cheers

Ian

My new 180 still surpassing my expectations... What a nice little saw for the money..

Take it back. To the pro's. I am sure they will hook you up..

Last edited:
Saw a guy getting a new MS230 at the shop one time. The first one they set up for him would not start. They replaced the plug, no fire. They went immediately and got another saw. Ran fine. Something to be said for buying personally from a dealer, and having them check it out before you go out the door.

Maybe that is why Stihl is #1.

Take it back with $ 80.00 more dollars & tell him you like to try the MS 250 ONLY 1.2 LBS heaver but has 1 more horsepower just swap out the bar & chain you have used . I cant see the guy #####in at all.

The bar and chain are different.. (PMN) and when you factor in the 0.325 bar and chain it's a lot heavier and bulkier.

Saw a guy getting a new MS230 at the shop one time. The first one they set up for him would not start. They replaced the plug, no fire. They went immediately and got another saw. Ran fine. Something to be said for buying personally from a dealer, and having them check it out before you go out the door.

Maybe that is why Stihl is #1.

They surely have high sales because for every happy customer, it seems to take 2 saws ;)

They surely have high sales because for every happy customer, it seems to take 2 saws ;)

LOL! That's what I'd say was a bit uncalled for, Peter.

Take it back to the dealer, Grateful11. The MS180 is a fine saw for the purpose it is intended. You'll like it a lot once it runs. I've not had any trouble from mine, and I think most here that actually OWN one would agree with my comments.

I took it back to the dealer at 8:00 this morning, I'm off work today to help load
cows for the sale, not enough hay because of the drought. We're between
loads right now and the driver, my wife she can drive anything, getting back.

Anyway they checked the fuel line for kinks and such while I was there but
that's not the problem. I told them I'd just have to leave it. The owner was in
yet so no one would make the call on getting another saw. I'm starting to get a
bit more ticked about this. Now I'm going to have a brand new saw that's been
torn down, fiddled with and put back together. How many days is Stihl's return
policy? :angry2:

Latest posts

Back