New or Used 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAfire

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I think I have ruled out a 660 and am going to just go ahead with a 460 now I came across a slightly used one two years old with a 28" bar on it and the guy is asked 850obo my question is do you think that is a fair price or what would be a fair offer or should i spend an extra 150 to get new thanks for any and all suggestions and advice

that price is to high fore a used saw. they can be bought in good shape chepper than that.

if ur gonna spend that much get a new one with a warranty,,,, a good used one should run ya around 500-600 for one in near new condition

You might be able to get a new one for around that in certain areas. I would pass and go buy new or keep looking for a used one cheaper.

Saw is waaay overpriced...they're $950 New..!!

If in really good shape and everything working right...$700-$725 would be Max for me..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I'm in New Hampshire and used saws go for waay too much money here too. I looked at a saw recently where the guy wanted 60 dollars less for the saw than he paid for it a year ago. Its like when people say "I only want what I put into it". What kind of fantasy would do these people live in lol. Now why would anyone buy it if for a little more they could have a brand new saw??? It's not my problem you bought a saw you didn't like. Was kindof funny, as I was walking away the guy says "so ur not interested?" "Nope" I says, never looking back. Some people just think everything they own is gold.

Last edited:
That price is high. If you really want to be cheap get one that dosent run and fix it if you have the ability. I got a 460 for free a few months ago a piece of junk and parted out, had to buy clutch and sprocket assembly, recoil, top handle, dogs, sprocket cover, carb cover, oil/gas caps, air filter, several bolts, spark plug, decomp valve, and engine shroud. Had to reassemble it was completely taken apart, now it runs and looks new. Most parts were used on ebay others like the covers I bought new from dealer stuck about 250$ into it even and if I would have had to buy aftermarket jug and piston or big bore another 100-150$. I think thats a sweet deal especially if you have a bar and chain.

That price is high. If you really want to be cheap get one that dosent run and fix it if you have the ability. I got a 460 for free a few months ago a piece of junk and parted out, had to buy clutch and sprocket assembly, recoil, top handle, dogs, sprocket cover, carb cover, oil/gas caps, air filter, several bolts, spark plug, decomp valve, and engine shroud. Had to reassemble it was completely taken apart, now it runs and looks new. Most parts were used on ebay others like the covers I bought new from dealer stuck about 250$ into it even and if I would have had to buy aftermarket jug and piston or big bore another 100-150$. I think thats a sweet deal especially if you have a bar and chain.
everybody around here covets their 460's ,sounds like you got a heck of a deal on yours,a little money and work= enjoy!!:rock:

everybody around here covets their 460's ,sounds like you got a heck of a deal on yours,a little money and work= enjoy!!:rock:

It takes time ti find the used parts you need in good shape as you probably know but well worth it. Putting muffler mod on next and may send it to one of the smart guys for porting.

well to heck with it i told the guy i wasn't interested for that money and called the dealer and told him i would be there in five put some gas through her yesterday and what a saw i think i may even like it more than my 361. Can't wait to get it broke in may have to put the dual port muffler on does anyone have any before after vids of that muffler thanks

I'm in New Hampshire and used saws go for waay too much money here too. I looked at a saw recently where the guy wanted 60 dollars less for the saw than he paid for it a year ago. Its like when people say "I only want what I put into it". What kind of fantasy would do these people live in lol. Now why would anyone buy it if for a little more they could have a brand new saw??? It's not my problem you bought a saw you didn't like. Was kindof funny, as I was walking away the guy says "so ur not interested?" "Nope" I says, never looking back. Some people just think everything they own is gold.

Same deal in this area, guys think their saws age like fine wine. Not many 346XP NEs show up, but the last one I saw was "$450 firm"! It appeared to be in good condition, but the guy told me he hadn't needed to sharpen the chain once yet, and sure enough the bar was burned up.

I bought my 460 used from an AS sponsor out of the AS Classifieds. Paid just over $400, including 28-inch B&C. It's got a TON of life left in it, and is in great shape mechanically. Then I had it ported and muff modded, so it acts like it's a 660. :msp_biggrin:

You should be able to find a very solid runner for between $400 and $550 if you keep your eyes on our own classifieds. :clap:

Ooops, see you already bought new.

I sell all of my 460s for $400-525. I go through them all before I sell them as well.
Dang,those 460's are fetching 650-750 on ebay without any paint left on them if they run!!if you are freshening them up ,sounds like some quality items at an awesome price!!:clap:

Latest posts

Back