New or used?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
All my saws are used and I catch crap sometimes from a friend of mine. Saying I should have brought new. That I was buying someone else's problems.
I have had some problems, but over all my saws have been very reliable.
Plus I have around 3000 in all my saws. That's with extra chain, bars, and the cost of work in fixing my used saw problems.
I would have paid 5000 to 5500 had I brought all them new. So I've saved 2000 plus dollars.
I don't think I will ever buy a new saw. Just too many good used saws out there.
A another friend of mine just brought a new Husky 450. So I think this is going to be a good test of new or used.
So what's is everyone's view in this? New or used?

Last edited:
Wouldn't know how to act.....

with a new saw. I've yet to own one. There's a certain deal of pleasure getting a good deal on a saw.

new ms 361
used 026

i almost prefer a used saw. my OCD wants me to keep the new one looking new forever. problem is that keeping a tool looking new means not using the tool to it's fullest.

can we compromise? how about 'like new'?:)

All my saws are used and I catch crap sometimes from a friend of mine. Saying I should have brought new. That I was buying someone else's problems.
I have had some problems, but over all my saws have been very reliable.
Plus I have around 3000 in all my saws. That's with extra chain, bars, and the cost of work in fixing my used saw problems.
I would have paid 5000 to 5500 had I brought all them new. So I've saved 2000 plus dollars.
I don't think I will ever buy a new saw. Just too many good used saws out there.
A another friend of mine just brought a new Husky 450. So I think this is going to be a good test of new or used.
So what's is everyone's view in this? New or used?

In all the years I have only bought 1 new saw, thats cause I needed a big saw right away. Got alot of good deals buying someone else's troubles. Lot's of easy fix's because they had more dollars then sense.

That friend with the new 450 didnt just get it to replace a burnt up saw did he? Was curious if the other was ever fixed, if it's the same guy.

I bought my 021 new and everything else has been used. I am a mechanic and can work on them so my idea is if a saw needs work I can save 60.00 an hour or so and fix it myself. I also try not to skimp or cut corners either. Sometimes I do though Im not made out of money,another reason I dont buy new. My other thing is salestax. I just cant see giving that extra money to the govt. You get it in your head that the price is 299.00 then the dealer says add 8% to that now its 322.92 Thats a big difference to me. So add in some sales tax to that 2000 saved theres another 160.00.;)

In all the years I have only bought 1 new saw, thats cause I needed a big saw right away. Got alot of good deals buying someone else's troubles. Lot's of easy fix's because they had more dollars then sense.

That friend with the new 450 didnt just get it to replace a burnt up saw did he? Was curious if the other was ever fixed, if it's the same guy.

Yeah, it's the same guy. He's going to order a p&c from Poulan to fix the saw. He's been using a Craftsman that's almost the same saw, but had manual oiler.

He's had alot of saw trouble recently and just decided to go an get a new one.

mostly new...

The only used things I have in the arsenal is a FS 360 brushcutter (eBay $300 score, great condition...I was expecting a "builder" & had a 550 top end lined up, but no need since it's a wild animal.) Also found a used Snapper rider with a rear bag on eBay for $450 IIRC, and +-1hr away so I talked to the guy about it, and picked it up. Both do what they have to do...

All the other junk in my sig line has been purchased new and locally. I love a bargain - and often jump at them - but I also like to support my fellow small businesses in the community/region.

Buying used sight-unseen is a huge gamble though, unless you have some trust in the seller.

I only buy new ones. I prefer knowing that they were treated 1/2 way decent, routine maintenance, and the proper mixture always went in the gas tank.

I only buy new.

I need the write offs and I know I'm not inheriting someone else's problems.

But I think if I was a homeowner or an occasional wood cutter I'd cruise Craig's list and pawn shops though.

I bought a new 361 thinking it would make me happy. But in the end, my 034 works just about as well. It sure looks good sitting on the shelf. I'll probably sell it. No sense for a firewood guy having a $600 saw he doesn't use. If you have used saws and they work then there's no need for new unless you need it to boost your self esteem.

I have not bought a new saw since 89 or 90.I definitely go for buying used.There is no way I could afford as good or as many saws that I have now if I bought them new.Plus for me it is just alot of fun to resurrect a bargain saw.Or put together a saw out of a few parts saws.

I've bought three saws new...346xp, 346xpg (great deals on both 300 per) and a 2159. Everything else used and I had more trouble w/ the 2159 than any used saw I've bought. Recently traded it for two used Partners.
Doubt I'll buy another new...well shouldn't say that...I know where there are 4 NOS 362XP's.
If I was earning my living w/ saws I'd buy all new (write off's and warranty). My use used are great.

All my saws were purchased new. I refuse to pay ebay prices, and don't have luck with finding good used ones locally. The economy is really bad here, so the dealers fix the junkers and resell them.

3 new, the rest used. Never any trouble with the ones I bought new, can't say that for the others. Some are OK, like the 044, but the 029S, the 036Pro, and the 028S are now in pieces. You never can tell with used....
Hard to find a new 084 or 056, I've done well with those models.

Used, I hope it works out

I just purchased a used MS361 for $350 this afternoon, he posted it on CL and I was the first to catch it. Said he needed some funds for xmas, and decided to sell his more expensive saw. Its had 5 tanks of fuel ran through it, I would rate it 8.5 out of 10, (he rated it a 9.0), but I am pretty picky, scuff on the handle, the bottom is perfect. Should make me a good extra saw so I can give my 029 a rest every once in awhile. It has a 18" bar on it now, and I will probably go with a 20" like I have on my 029.

Last edited:
Back