New Petzl Biner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Gardner

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Petzl has a new biner on their website.

M23.jpg

Petzl Website

Nice, it looks almost as good as the "grenade" gate Kongs that are my favorite. The ball locks are a bit awkward to use in certain positions, and often hang up and take a couple tries to get open.

It is remotely possible for the kongs and others like them to get the gate pushed down and then opened. It would take at least two movements for this to occur- i say the likelihood is .00002.

My newest Am'd ball is hanging up, have tried twice to clean it and get it working, looks like I've almost got it.

One of mine wouldn't fully lock after the first day unless you manually twisted it. I squirted about 2 drops of WD-40 inside the gate area (near the hinge) and it has worked perfectly since.

Graphite is the preferred lubricant.

My hypothesis is that liquids can accumulate minute debris and end up seizing later on.

this is right from the omega site..

Dear Omega Man,

I'm having trouble with sticky carabiners and am sending a couple back to you for your inspection. I've got mostly OL 4.0 Wiregates and lately the gates have started sticking open. I've cleaned them regularly since I bought them and I've even been using White Lightning lube to keep dirt from collecting in the gate action, but they stick like crazy. Are they defective?

Bill
Ft. Collins, CO

I got your Omegalite 4.0 Wiregates today. Sure enough, they were jammed pretty good. We measured them, weighed them, inspected them and then did it again … couldn't find anything out of kilter. But, after fooling with them a while, Omega Man knows exactly what's going on here.

You say you lubed them with White Lightning, eh? I've heard other climbers complain of exactly the same problem you have and they use exactly the same lubricant. This leads Omega Man to tap his pipe against his teeth like Sherlock Holmes and deduce that White Lightning may be the likely suspect.

White Lighting (or any other paraffin-based lubes) operates by coating the device with a thin layer of waxy material. This helps to reduce the amount of dirt and grime it'll pick up. Sounds fine, but, while this may work great for bike chains (White Lightning is sold for just that purpose, in fact, and is found in bike stores) and (maybe) even camming units, they're less effective on carabiners. With bike chains, there is enough power in the mechanism (the pedal stroke of the cyclist) to break through the waxy goo with each turn. However, with a carabiner, there simply isn't that kind of spring tension to reliably return the gate to the notch as that waxy buildup occurs. And, it should be noted that-despite the claims that paraffin-based lubes don't attract dirt-Omega Man removed a lot of crapola from the works of your biners. ALL lubricants pick up dirt and grime to one degree or another.

To fix the rest of your krabs, do what we did with the ones you sent back: I boiled them in water to melt the paraffin and liberally sprayed WD-40 on them to dissolve and remove any residual lubricant, dirt or grime. Then we gave them a good brushing with an old toothbrush at the hinges. After that, we shot them with a little silicone spray lubricant. I'm sending them back to you and you'll see, they work perfectly now.

Kewl, Thanks Spike. Good to know my gut instinct was right on using the WD-40. Since it is so thin, it is unlikely to build up like most lubricants. I'll have to keep in mind to blow out the inside of the hinge area with compressed air once in a while, and a squirt of WD-40 when it sticks.
:D

An interesting side note on WD40. It is a great product. It cleans. It lubricates. It displaces moisture. IT DOES NOT LAST. A friend used to own a part interest in a machine shop where they made gas compressor parts. They tried WD40 on compressor rings in storage and had corrosion problems. A little research revealed that all of WD40's constituents are volatile to some degree and total evaporation will occur within a few weeks ( time depends upon relative humidity). They switched to another product (Pennzoil with Z4) and their problem dissappeared. That volatility is probably a good thing for biners since, after a while no residue remains to collect gunk.
Nick is right about the graphite though. Soap and water clean-up, air dry, and powdered graphite is a standard presciption.

WD-40 is a product of the space program. The needed a Water Displacement product that they could use on all different parts. they did not want it to stick around.

it was the 40'th formulae, so they just kept the working name. worked so nice that everyone started to take it home with them....

Most of the active ingredient in WD 40 is fish oil. I understand that the formula hasn't changed very much since it was first formulated in the late fifties. Wow! Retro works :)

JPS is right, if things are sticky, use the lube to float the stuff and get it suspended and then blast with air.

Tom

Cool, so WD'd biners should be healthy,

just like me, the salmon addict!!!

Amazing the things one can learn on A Site:cool:

Latest posts

Back