New pictures of "Babe"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all sincerity and respect arbor pro you have some good points, but I disagree on a few. I think running a stump removal business takes experience and skill...first being a good business man and second not tearing up a very expensive equipment setup and the customer's property. It's true a 10 year old could run the machine but would he know to check for underground dangers? Would he know how to repair the machine (which most of us must do to stay in business) Would he be good at promoting and advertising to stay a float. Would he know how to deal with the tax folk and such...?? I think it takes someone with a dream, some training, and a little common knowledge to run just about any kind of business no matter if it be a brain surgeon or stump cutter...."always opinion not fact"
Thanks,

Stumper,

It indeed does take some brains to be able to be successful in any business - whether it be stump grinding or building construction. I'm not saying that all stump grinding businessmen are dumb blue collar blokes. I'm a stump grinding businessmans as well as an arborist. On the contrary, I think a lot of blue collar service sector men and women are highly educated, highly motivated individuals - the backbone of our county.

The problem with stump grinding is that it requires little or no previous experience and a fairly small bankroll to get up and running. As a result, there are a lot of very dumb, lazy, unprofessional blokes who come into the business thinking they're going to get rich quick without having to work very hard. Granted, most of these blokes go out of business in a relatively short time-frame but not before doing their damage to the industry by acting unprofessionally and lowballing jobs.

Over time, homeowners who deal with these blokes get the impression that anyone can grind out a stump; therefore, why pay more than the lowest bid given? They don't think about whether or not he's insured or whether he has located the utilities. They don't don't know what to expect for lawn damage and just assume that the stump grinder operator will clean up after himself. If he does a poor job, they might not hire him again and, likely they don't care if he goes out of business because some other bloke will soon take his place and probably be cheaper yet.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else but, that's just how it is. We can try to kid ourselves my making it sound like grinding a stump is hard to do but, it's not. Like you said, a 10-year-old can do it. However, running a successful stump grinding business in the wake of lowballing newbies entering the industry, now that's a different story. That's not so easy to do. That takes fortitude and business sense. Kudos to those of you who are making it happen.

Last edited:
Back