NEW REBUILDS ( i'm back-been busy) Husky-61 & sthil 045av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logger 12345

husqvarna pilot
Reaction score
i want to start off by saying i hope all had a nice christmas and best wishes to all for 2012 (happy new year) :smile2:

been a while sinse i was on here,the news is,i am doing some new rebuilds and got my hands on a lovely sthil 045av which i will get in to shortly here, i am still working away with my own NEW 365special which i have been busy all winter here with,i have been telling people here i bought this paticular saw NEW back in april 2011,it is a flyer and is doing great for me.

anyway so what is new with me,ok so my father forgot to put oil in the mix for the old 61 i gave him as a gift early last year,it had been doing great for him, until he got confused with some jerry cans he had and used one without oil,anyway as we all know these things can and do happen,SO.... i have stripped it apart and decided to REBUILD it,upon inspection the bottom end main bearing was shot,completly destroyed,and these 61's been a one piece crank the bearing can't be changed so new crank is the only option,the piston and head were also ruined as a result of no oil,as you will see in pictures here below the piston has chunks missing from it as i suspect the main bearing was loosing some bits,when i took off head some small pieces of the main bearing was up around head and piston ((... anyway cranks for these 61 saws now as rare as hens teeth (this saw is 1992 model) and best my knowledge cranks for these old beasts are discontinued from husqvarna main dealers,but i have been very lucky to obtain a lovely USED bottom end from miltown in kerry ireland complete in it's cases and it's in a fine shape,a husky dealership who owns and stocks a lot of old school stuff too.

so i got this new bottom end and have all the anchillaries now fitted on it from the old saw,i priced a GENUINE husky top end kit and it was 180ish euros all in,new head/cylinder & piston.i discused it with my father and he didn't mind spending the coin as it now has a practically fine bottom end,so after spending some time looking around i have now decided to save my father more money & go ahead with a chrome plated aftermarket version,i have been told it was the best of the OEM kits,i am now getting this,cylinder kit,with cylinder,ring,clips gudgeon pin and piston for 81euros!! )))

so what is your opinion on this OEM kits?

first see pics of worn and damaged parts and old bottom end of the 61
also see pics of the 61 saw in it's current state now after i rebuild all bottom end,it's now waiting for NEW top end kit,

i have also obtained a real beauty of a saw which is in real great shape,i have just finished rebuilding it tonight and inspected the engine,it is in great condition with not much to complain about,it is a sthil 045AV (age unknown yet to me) i have checked everything else on the saw & it's running and looks great,all is in good condition,i am just waiting on some small parts to finish this now such as airbox (missing) we have got new tank caps and some covers (fitted now)

so here are some pics of the current stuff,stay tuned for pics of new kit and rebuilding the old 61 and finishing it.
also finishing the sthil saw.

dan

61 old top end and old piston (damaged)

husqvarnasaws002.jpg

61 old bottom end

husqvarnasaws006.jpg

NEW bottom end 61 ready for new top end

husqvarnasaws005.jpg

husqvarnasaws007.jpg

husqvarnasaws004.jpg

sthil 045AV

husqvarnasaws001.jpg

husqvarnasaws008.jpg

Last edited:
damaged 61 piston, the ring was gone so brittle from lack of oil that it just shattered when i tried to remove it

husqvarnasaws003.jpg

& my new (8months old) 365 SPECIAL

365sp001.jpg

Last edited:
ok so stay tuned for updates on the sthil and husky 61,i should have my new top end kit for the 61 friday
i was told :)

small update:

so got the big beast started lastnight (sthil) and it runs good,i must now get the father to find the bar and side cover & chain and i should be almost sorted with it,i haven't checked the oiler yet but i assume it's fine.

i should as mentioned have my kit for the 61 friday,looking forward to putting that back together.

so any one here try one of those aftermarket kits????

nice saws,i have never tried aftermarket cyinder kits nor would i have any input to give in them but i hear the kits are good and a lot of the chinese ones are very good,nothing wrong with them,some guy on you tube i think donboy or something builds them and swears by the aftermarket stuff.

what part of ireland are you from??

i'm subscribed :msp_biggrin:

p.s

i was attracted to this thread cause i find it very ironic that we are from same country and rebuilding the identical saw! :D:laugh:

are you trying to copy me?? lol i also gave my old 61 to my father and it packed in too,maybe age gets better of them,and the best part is i also bought a new 365sp too :laugh: BUT HEY these are popular now in ireland
but...as i say
PRICLESS:msp_biggrin:

so where ya from???

hello drkstaunton

i just posted on your own husky thread let me know when you update,i will keep an eye on it.

as i say for now i am waiting on the kit for the 61 i hope it is a good one,would be nice to get info here after going to the bother of posting the thread here,so any body try any of these aftermarket kits????

so can anyone tell me about the aftermarket cylinder kits ?? :msp_biggrin:

chrome plated,as i say he said it is the best of the aftermarket stuff,it should arrive tomorrow

I have read a lot on this subject here on AS. Try a search. I think I remember fairly good talk about them but to not use the aftermarket wrist pin clips. they come out. I think I have that right. Sorry I'm not more help.

thanks for your input,as they say any input is good!!

i would like to hear from others also on this,i will post up multiple pics of this kit when i get it,ok so the guy where i'm buying it has a website called cash4tools here in ireland,he sells aftermarket stuff for all saws and origional stuff,thing is he said this kit is the best of the aftermarket stuff but how will i know,i guess there are so many differnt manufacturers out there producing these aftermarket kits that it's bloody hard to know,for now we are just going to try this paticular kit and all i know that it's chrome plated other than the other nikasil plating.

anyway any more input would be great,i thought i would have my head kit today but nothing arrived :( suppose it will be monday now cause no post here saturday.

cylinder kit arrived for 61

well some updates here,my aftermarket cylinder kit for my dads 61 husqvarna arrived today and i spend an hour finishing it,my opinions on this kit is VERY pleased and impressed,the quality is excellent,fitted perfect and runs great!!

here are the pictures finishing off this saw and restoring it back to health,time will tell about the over all durability but
i suspect it will be fine....so as mentioned above in this thread when i started it,a husqvarna 61 new bottom end,i took off all the parts like coil and flywheel and carb-tank etc from the old saw and fitted them to the new bottom end cases and crank.

i have a short video of it here sort of running quite rich and at end of video it is slightly tuned better,i'm going to let
it on the 'rich' side for a few tanks then tune it for max running,the needles anyway best my knowledge are 1turn out on both.

as i said no problems with this kit all looked very good quality,i oiled up the piston nice and the cylinder before fitting
and put some gasket sealer on all gaskets with thread locker on the screws and bolts.

so no complaints here,the kit fitted immencly :clap:

here are some pics.

new cylinder kit and old side by side

husqvarna61rebuild001.jpg

husqvarna61rebuild002.jpg

husqvarna61rebuild003.jpg

husqvarna61rebuild004.jpg

husqvarna61rebuild005.jpg

husqvarna61rebuild006.jpg

rebuilding and the parts for the 61

husqvarna61rebuild007.jpg

finishing touches

and the finishing touches!

husqvarna61rebuild032.jpg

covers,air filter,bar and chain 20" fitted.

husqvarna61rebuild033.jpg

husqvarna61rebuild034.jpg

husqvarna61rebuild035.jpg

i am in the process now of a short video to show how it's running,well this project is done,i may update here in time
to see how it holds up,if anybody wants the link to where i bought the parts let me know,least of all i hope this thread may be some use to people here,:msp_wink:

thank you!

i am working on the video now,if anything it will just compliment the thread to see the saw running after the build.
i'm very impressed with these kits,and big price differnce from 180euros for genuine husqvarna kit to 80euros for this aftermarket
version.

[video=youtube;iGYskZw7HAQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGYskZw7HAQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I hope its ok? I took the liberty to make it a little easier for those who want to see it.

Very nice!!:rock:

Back