New saw advice (for the 1000th time)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbr28

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just looking for some quick help purchasing a new chainsaw. I've done a lot of research and see how the Husqvarna's and Stihls are always highly rated, but none of those are in my budget range. I've never used a chainsaw before and am looking for something for pretty limited use.

I recently had to have some trees removed for a new septic system on my lot, and the contractors just left everything they knocked down with the tractor. I now have a huge pile of trees, mostly small stuff ranging from just a couple inches in diameter, up to maybe a foot in diameter for a couple larger poplars. I need to get that pile cut up (I've been working on it with a bow saw and ax for weeks and have had enough of that), and beyond that I don't see using the saw much more than occasionally for cutting branches, and fairly small trees. My lot is completely wooded, but only 2 acres, and we don't have a use for firewood, so I don't see "heavy use" with the saw.

Anyway, this is also our first new home, and as many of you know that means we are broke after putting thousands into all sorts of new stuff, so I'm looking for something cheap that will just help me get this job done (but figure I'd rater buy than throw money away renting one). I've looked at a lot of different brands locally, but I'm in a small town and don't have much to choose from. We have a Menards, Sears, and Lowes, and that's about it for getting a chainsaw anywhere nearby. Menards sells some McCulloch's, Lowes sells the Poulans, and Sears doesn't have much that seemed worth considering. Everything that Sears had on the low end felt really cheap and flimsy to me. The McCullochs at Menards actually felt pretty solid, and they were very cheap 99$ for 14" 35CC and 129 for 16" 35CC. The Poulan at Lowes I was looking at was the Poulan Pro with the 16" bar for 139. I have 10% off coupons for any of those.

I liked that the 14" McCulloch felt really easy to handle, but was afraid it might be too small, even for my modest needs. On the other hand it seems to me after reading about the chainsaws, that a larger bar, on an underpowered chainsaw is not a good thing. The 35CC engine on the 14" McCulloch, is the same engine that is on the 16" McCulloch, which makes me think that the step up is not all that beneficial. The Poulan engine was 38CC (according to their website), but Lowes has it listed as a 42CC engine. The Poulan seemed to have a few more features, although I'm not sure any of them are worthwhile, or just gimmicky (the easy chain adjustment, which most people seem not to like anyway, the "super clean" engine which is supposed to extend air filter life), etc. The Poulan has a 2 year warranty versus a 1 year for the McCulloch.

Anyway, any advice or experience with these would be appreciated. I know they aren't going to be comparable to the high-end saws but they are really my only options at this point. I'm going to stop by one of the hardware stores in town this afternoon to see if they have any other options.

Look for a local saw dealer to steer your straight. I know there must be couple in Bloomington. You'll be lucky to find someone at Lowes, Sears, etc. who ever even ran a chainsaw, let along knows what they are talking about.

A good dealer can put you in the saw you need (perhaps even a good used one), show you how to use it safely, and tell you how to maintain it. Most importantly, if something goes wrong, he can fix it!

Buying a chainsaw is not the time to be pennywise and pound foolish.

RBR-get a good used saw, Stihl or Husky. More important, get yourself some protective gear, a head, eye and ear protection hardhat and some saw pants or chaps. Please don't become a weekend warrior statistic, I mean bleeding to death or scarred for life. Chainsaws are like guns, they have to be treated with respect. Good luck.

I'll echo what was said above. Get a used Stihl or Husky. If you look on ebay or even go to a pawn shop and get a used Stihl, of pretty much any model, you'll have a better saw than any new Poulan or Mac. Some of the lower end Huksys are actually Poulans, I think anything in the 1XX model number range. There's alot of guys who do go and buy Poulans or other entry level saws, and have them run well for years. And the work you describe sounds prime for a saw like that. The problem you'll have is when that saw craps itself, maybe in a week, maybe in three years, you'll be high and dry with no saw, no dealer to help, and buying another saw. Get a saw that you can get parts for (Stihl, Husky, even Echo) and you can fix it, rebuild it, even resell it later on. I just now did a search on ebay for "stihl chainsaw" less than $150, and got a plethora of listings. Wade through all the hats and manuals, and there's some good saws to be had. You'll probably be looking at something like an 025 or somewhere along those lines. Good enough saw, and better than anything you'll find at Lowe's. I hate to burst your new saw bubble, but I think you'd be better off with a quality used saw than with a disposable new for the same money. I think you'd agree if you where able to handle a Stihl or a Husky.

Go on ebay, find a saw you like, post the link on here, and ask the guys what they think. We'll let you know if it's a good price for the saw or not. For $150 or less, you can actually get a good amount of used saw that'll last you.

I also just checked Stihl's website, and there's a full dealer right in Bloomington. Check out J&S Locksmith at 508 W 17th. 332-4533. According to the website, they're a full dealership.

Bloomington huh? My parents are from Bedford, and I was born in Corydon. Grew up in Leavenworth, down on the Kentucky border.

Jeff

Thank you TreeCo -- finally some common sense.

I can't believe a bunch of professional arborists telling a novice to go buy a chainsaw on eBay. Oh yeh, and don't forget your PPE. Guess what? PPE doesn't prevent accidents! This is how people get killed -- buy the cheapest saw they can find, fire it up, and start cutting -- with no knowledge, no training, in fact no idea of the dangers involved.

I would have thought that a bunch of people who love to carp about hacks and ignorant homeowners would have at least suggested this chap seek out some informed professional advice for his decision.

End of rant.

Stay away from that ez adjust chain crap. Stick with the tried and true method.

USED. There is bound to be a dealer somewhere nearby that can find you a used one. OR, look in the local classifieds/pawn/etc and see if you can take it to a dealer to have them look it over (to see if it is a OK saw) and give it a quick service if the dealer does not have something used. I would think a good dealer would be sympathetic to your needs and see you as a customer that will purchase other things (mix, bar oil, PPE, maintenance, etc) and simply be POd that you didn't buy a new saw from him.

As for the safety, a big pile of stuff to limb and buck can mean lots of opportunities to get hurt. Really easy to get the tip of the bar in a couple limbs/trunks while working in that pile and you get to experience what kickback is. Ask the dealer to give you the basics on proper stance and technique. And of course, pay attention when using it.

fwf said:
Thank you TreeCo -- finally some common sense.

I can't believe a bunch of professional arborists telling a novice to go buy a chainsaw on eBay. Oh yeh, and don't forget your PPE. Guess what? PPE doesn't prevent accidents! This is how people get killed -- buy the cheapest saw they can find, fire it up, and start cutting -- with no knowledge, no training, in fact no idea of the dangers involved.

I would have thought that a bunch of people who love to carp about hacks and ignorant homeowners would have at least suggested this chap seek out some informed professional advice for his decision.

End of rant.

Sorry to have offended you fwf with my terrible advice, but with the gent's budget, and the type of saw he needs, and his asking for our opinion, I think ebay and pawn shops would work fine. He'll get just as much instruction from them as he would from Lowe's or Menard's. I stand by my recommending he get a good used saw. And yes, I should have mentioned PPE, but clearance gave that advice in the post above mine.

And if you read my post again, you'll see that I did in fact look up a local dealer for him, and steered him in that direction as well. I even listed a phone number.

End of my rant. No hard feelings. I don't mean to create an inflamed mood, and get off topic, but rather defending and reitterating my position, as I don't believe I gave poor advice.

Jeff

Last edited:
I don't think anyone on this site would tell you to buy any of those saws you listed. I myself would tell anyone who asked to buy a Stihl. But that obviously isn't an option, financialy. And if you really don't know anything about saws, use or maintinence, buying used is very much out of the question. The reality is not everyone needs a great saw, in your words "I just want to get this job done". That said (if you really don't intend on that much use) I honestly think out of what you mentioned the poulan pro would be just fine. Just understand you aren't buying a high end monster saw. Don't expect anything amazing. It will cut upthe wood you need to get rid of, do some light trimming, and that's it. Just make sure you run it out of fuel before you put it away, keep it clean (especially the air filter), and you should be fine.

Do EVERYONE a favor though. Before you even think about fueling it up, read the whole instruction book, search google for chainsaw safety and read a little, and take your time. I doubt anyone will have a gun on you while you work, get tried, take a break. There's no rush, think about what you're doing. I'm pretty sure you'd rather take a minute to stop and think about making a difficult cut, or break for couple minutes when you get tired than spend a couple hours in the ER.

Best of luck,
Matt

ill second what they said. but bang for buck . u mite also look at echo saws.
i think its good equipment.good warranty an all.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Sorry to have offended you fwf with my terrible advice, but with the gent's budget, and the type of saw he needs, and his asking for our opinion, I think ebay and pawn shops would work fine. He'll get just as much instruction from them as he would from Lowe's or Menard's. I stand by my recommending he get a good used saw. And yes, I should have mentioned PPE, but clearance gave that advice in the post above mine.

And if you read my post again, you'll see that I did in fact look up a local dealer for him, and steered him in that direction as well. I even listed a phone number.

End of my rant. No hard feelings. I don't mean to create an inflamed mood, and get off topic, but rather defending and reitterating my position, as I don't believe I gave poor advice.

Jeff

You didn't offend me at all Jeff, and yes you did provide him a local dealer info. Kudos for that!

I just feel that if we (collectively as professionals) are giving a new chainsaw user advice, we need to think beyond finding the cheapest saw and help the person get started safely.

And yes, I am a big fan of PPE but too often it is assumed that it is like a suit of armor that makes the user invincible to harm. I was in my local shop the other day when a customer was leaving with his new saw. The owner said, "Be safe." The guy replied, "Don't worry, I've got my helmet and chaps." It was as if he said, "I've got my PPE, nothing can hurt me now."

Again, no hard feelings. I just don't think eBay is probably the best place for most people to buy their FIRST chainsaw.

End of rant, part 2.

fwf-thats a really good point you have about people thinking p.p.e. is a magic cape, never really thought about that. I got cut real bad in the arm, had all the p.p.e-chaps, forestry hardhat, good caulks in my boots, whistle, pressure bandage, saw with a brake, wasn't carefull for one second and bang. Blood and meat chips here we come. On second thought buddy, do like someone else suggested here and hire someone. Big jackpot pile of loaded up trees and branches is asking for a kickback or a broken leg etc. If you decide to go ahead, educate yourself. Thanks.

advice

Thanks for all the quick responses. I'm going out to look around some more now. I'm definitely not the type to rush into this and cut my leg off or something! Seriously, I did research this stuff for over a month, and the safety thing is exactly why I started out seeing what I could do with a bow saw and an ax. The safety issue is one of the biggest reasons I didn't rent. If I rented, I figured I wouldn't even be able to get used to using the saw in a day, and I didn't want to be rushing to cut this pile down when I knew I was paying by the day. Buying my own I can take my time and take all summer if I really have to.

I am still leaning towards the cheaper saws though, just for the reasons that some people mentioned. Warranty is one. With a two year warranty, I know I will at least get that amount of use from it, whereas I don't want to get into fixing up a used one right at the start. Down the road I wouldn't mind doing that, but not right away. Also, I'm definitely the type that always wants the best of everything, and for the things I am knowledgeable about and have experience with I always go for the best I can possibly afford. On the other hand, when it comes to things that are new, that I don't have experience with, one thing I have learned is that trying to buy the best of something, you don't know a whole lot about is always a mistake. Usually what happens is that you buy it, then after you have used it a while you realize what features you truly need, what works and doesn't, etc, and then you want something different. That's always going to be the case to some extent, but I'm leaning towards getting something new/cheap, getting good practice with it, and then having a better idea of what I really need before spending hundreds on a longer lasting saw. Not committed to all that yet, but definitely leaning that direction. Plus, it's a lot easier for me to buy the cheap saw, and get all the proper safety equipment. I think buying something more expensive would be a stretch for me right now, when you start adding up all the other expenses that go along with using the saw.

I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with how the trees are all piled up now. A tractor is not an option right now, and I can't get anything big back where the wood is now anyway, because it's in the woods, on the other side of a septic mound that can't be driven over (there isn't even grass on the mound yet). I'm thinking of trying to rope around some of the larger limbs and pull them out with the help of a couple other people. The only other thing I can imagine doing is using a pulley around a tree or something like that. I know I can't just start cutting into the pile as it is now. I really wish I could just dump some lighter fluid on this pile and light it up! I tried giving the wood away for anyone that would cut it up, but no takers so far. Looks like it's going to be my long summer project if I can ever decide on a chainsaw.

I would say look for a good used saw with an owners manual if it does not have one get one before you use it. If you go to a local still dealer they will tell you how to use it and give you instructions I would say spend the extra money and get a stihl ms 170 or ms 180 the dealer support is worth the extra money. The new poulans and mccullocks are worthless. They are not the saws to start out with you will spend more time working on them then cutting.

rbr28 said:
...one thing I have learned is that trying to buy the best of something, you don't know a whole lot about is always a mistake. Usually what happens is that you buy it, then after you have used it a while you realize what features you truly need, what works and doesn't, etc, and then you want something different....

That's a valid point, but this forum can help you prevent that situation. Dan recommended the MS170 or MS180, and I would add the MS260 to that list. Others can point you to reliable Huskies, etc. If you buy such saws, your chances are good that you will still be using and singing its praises 10 years from now.

Chainsaws are pretty simple tools. If they start well and are reliable, cut well (with a sharp chain), and aren't too heavy, you've got a friend for life.

With the advice of this forum and a good chainsaw dealer, I think you stand an excellent chance of making a good long term decision.

Good luck!

i would have skimped on something for the house and get a first class saw. you dont have to get a house started everytime you want to use it.

off topic

Don't get me started! We moved in to the new house less than 2 months ago, and since then we have had to completely replace our septic system (7000+), have all kinds of electrical work done (2300+), get rid of termites (600$), repair a hole in our siding that was allowing starlings to nest in the rafters of the roof (not done yet), reroute a dryer vent that was routed into a closed up underground window well (200$), buy all sorts of essential tools to keep things from falling apart, ...and a week ago someone ran a stop sign and ruined the front end of my truck ($5000 in repairs luckily covered by insurance). That's just all I can think of right now and my list of expensive things to repair and buy seems to be growing every day. Some of that stuff we knew about upfront (we got an amazing price on the house & land), some we didn't even though we had an inspection. Point is though, buying the best chainsaw isn't always an option, no matter how much I'd like to. At this point I'm starting to count pennies.

Latest posts

Back